The Student Room Group

Is the Casio fx991EX calculator allowed for A Level Maths(specifically C34) exam?

Is the Casio fx991EX calculator allowed for International A Level Maths(specifically C34) exam?

product link- https://edu.casio.com/products/cwiz/fx991ex/

Thanks in Advance!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
There is no list of acceptable calculators, if yours complies with the following regulations it is OK.

Calculators must be:

of a size suitable for use on the desk;

either battery or solar powered

free of lids, cases and covers which have printed instructions or formulas

The candidate is responsible for the following:

the calculator’s power supply;

the calculator’s working condition;

clearing anything stored in the calculator.

Calculators must not:
be designed or adapted to offer any of these facilities:

language translators;

symbolic algebra manipulation;

symbolic differentiation or integration;

communication with other machines or the internet

be borrowed from another candidate during an examination for any reason;*
have retrievable information stored in them - this includes:

databanks;

dictionaries;

mathematical formulas;

text.

http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/ice---instructions-for-conducting-examinations/instructions-for-conducting-examinations-2016-2017
Reply 2
the site only mentions that it can perform differential and integration calculations but doesnt say if its capable of symbolic diff/integ. :/ i havent used this calculator before. so it would be a big help if someone who used/knows about it could clarify whether this is allowed or not. :smile:
Original post by f.hawk
the site only mentions that it can perform differential and integration calculations but doesnt say if its capable of symbolic diff/integ. :/ i havent used this calculator before. so it would be a big help if someone who used/knows about it could clarify whether this is allowed or not. :smile:

Yes it's ok.
It complies with the requirements described above by Compost.
Like several popular Casio models, It can do numeric differentiation and definite integration but is not capable of symbolic diff/int.
I'm not a big fan of the user interface and would personally stick with the ES Plus model, though the statistics capabilities of the EX are an advantage for things like normal distribution.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by gdunne42
Yes it's ok.
It complies with the requirements described above by Compost.
Like several popular Casio models, It can do numeric differentiation and definite integration but is not capable of symbolic diff/int.
I'm not a big fan of the user interface and would personally stick with the ES Plus model, though the statistics capabilities of the EX are an advantage for things like normal distribution.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm very familiar with the ES/ES Plus. and the user interface of EX does look a bit confusing. :/
Maybe ill just stick with the ES for now. Thanks for the answer btw. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest