The Student Room Group

Question on enthalpy change

Attachment not found
for q2b I am unsure how it's worked out.

1. How will you be able to deduce that the Mr of coal is just 12 g mol^-1? You are not told the molecular formula for it .

2. The answer suggests that you will work out the heat loss q from the moles of coal * by the enthalpy change of combustion but I don't understand why. Why is q of coal = q of water ?

Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
The question says assume coal is pure carbon. Carbon is in the periodic table!
Use Q = mcΔT for 2b)
Reply 3
Original post by TeachChemistry
The question says assume coal is pure carbon. Carbon is in the periodic table!

So whenever the question states the the compound is made up of carbon, it is okay to assume that the mr is 12?

Also can you help me with my second question?

Thanks
Reply 4
Use Q = mcΔT for 2b)

I don't really understand why q of the coal equals to q of the water, I always know it as that you would only include the mass of the water in this equation...
Original post by coconut64
I don't really understand why q of the coal equals to q of the water, I always know it as that you would only include the mass of the water in this equation...

You assume that all of the heat released by the coal burning is transferred to the water to heat it up.
Reply 6
You assume that all of the heat released by the coal burning is transferred to the water to heat it up.

Thanks.
Reply 7

image.jpg
Does anybody know how to work this out? It was from the new Aqa Chem AS paper 2016 Thank You
Reply 8
Original post by PBC Gyal
image.jpg
Does anybody know how to work this out? It was from the new Aqa Chem AS paper 2016 Thank You

Hey I just worked this out but can't find the paper nor the mark scheme, mind telling me the answer ? Cheers
Hey I just worked this out but can't find the paper nor the mark scheme, mind telling me the answer ? Cheers

about -11,760 kJ

Hey and yes I got around 11570KJ it was the AqaChem new spec done in2016
Use Q = mcΔT for 2b)

image.jpg
Attachment not found
Do you know how to work this out? The last image is the graph for the question above please

Quick Reply

Latest