The Student Room Group

History Help!!

For anyone that is doing the new AQA spec for history, how are you going about revising as there has been no exams sat for this spec yet.

Just curious, any help is appreciated
A level or GCSE?
We are using old past papers. It may be slightly different but a lot of the content is the same.
Original post by shaninerox
A level or GCSE?

A level
Original post by rosie.mn
We are using old past papers. It may be slightly different but a lot of the content is the same.

Yeah same think I'm just worrying feeling that i'm not used to what the exam question will be like. May I ask what you have been using to revise like either mindmaps, flashcards, youtube etc thanks
Are you doing tudors?

Think I'm also just going to use old papers, or make up my own questions. I've made some mindmaps
Original post by GCSE2016Troop
Yeah same think I'm just worrying feeling that i'm not used to what the exam question will be like. May I ask what you have been using to revise like either mindmaps, flashcards, youtube etc thanks

Have you not done any practise ones yet? You get a compulsory 3 source question, and a choice of 2 essay questions! Its quite decent and I find the questions to be quite easy so far. I'm writing up my content, then making flashcards. Then mindmaps from the flashcards. I do 2 topics which a lot of schools dont do, so I haven't got many resources on YT etc, but if I can find some I will use them.
Have you not done any practise ones yet? You get a compulsory 3 source question, and a choice of 2 essay questions! Its quite decent and I find the questions to be quite easy so far. I'm writing up my content, then making flashcards. Then mindmaps from the flashcards. I do 2 topics which a lot of schools dont do, so I haven't got many resources on YT etc, but if I can find some I will use them.

Yeah we have done a couple practice ones but I didn't really like them haha felt that we haven't been told effectively how to answer them. Also, are you in AS or A2? and what 2 modules are you doing?
Yeah we have done a couple practice ones but I didn't really like them haha felt that we haven't been told effectively how to answer them. Also, are you in AS or A2? and what 2 modules are you doing?

What sort of grades are you getting on them? I'm sure you'll be fine come next year. And I'm AS. I do the Crusades and the Making of Modern Britain.
What sort of grades are you getting on them? I'm sure you'll be fine come next year. And I'm AS. I do the Crusades and the Making of Modern Britain.

Think I've done 3 and i've got BBC in them up to now but I want an A by the end of this year.
Think I've done 3 and i've got BBC in them up to now but I want an A by the end of this year.

Very good! I have got A's and A*s so far. If you need help with exam technique I am very happy to help :smile:
Very good! I have got A's and A*s so far. If you need help with exam technique I am very happy to help :smile:

How have you been answering the extract questions like do you have a set plan on how ton answer each time?
How have you been answering the extract questions like do you have a set plan on how ton answer each time?

Yes I do. Heres the structure I used when I got 23/25 on extract question. I have a plan and I think sticking to plans is the best thing when you're writing an essay.
Paragraph 1: State what the historian is saying, use inferences and their own quotes to highlight their argument. This is key, the examiner wants to know that you know what the Historian is putting across. eg 'Angold implies that the papal reform movement..' integrate your own knowledge slightly to suggest why he may have come to that conclusion.
Paragraph 2: Use your own knowledge to support the Historians view. Use detailed knowledge and specific dates and names to build his argument and how it is convincing.
Paragraph 3: Challenge the historians view! Again, using your own knowledge. Consistently making direct links to the conviction of the argument.
Paragraph 4: Mini Conclusion on how overall convincing the argument is. State why it is/isnt convincing
Repeat for all 3 sources. (or 2 if you're doing an old AS paper)
You can then do a final conclusion on how convincing all the Historians are.
Yes I do. Heres the structure I used when I got 23/25 on extract question. I have a plan and I think sticking to plans is the best thing when you're writing an essay.
Paragraph 1: State what the historian is saying, use inferences and their own quotes to highlight their argument. This is key, the examiner wants to know that you know what the Historian is putting across. eg 'Angold implies that the papal reform movement..' integrate your own knowledge slightly to suggest why he may have come to that conclusion.
Paragraph 2: Use your own knowledge to support the Historians view. Use detailed knowledge and specific dates and names to build his argument and how it is convincing.
Paragraph 3: Challenge the historians view! Again, using your own knowledge. Consistently making direct links to the conviction of the argument.
Paragraph 4: Mini Conclusion on how overall convincing the argument is. State why it is/isnt convincing
Repeat for all 3 sources. (or 2 if you're doing an old AS paper)
You can then do a final conclusion on how convincing all the Historians are.

That looks very good and thorough but have you never struggled with time, looks like a lot to do 12 good paragraphs
That looks very good and thorough but have you never struggled with time, looks like a lot to do 12 good paragraphs

I have never done one under timed conditions, however, they are usually short paragraphs and sometimes will end up linking together. The trick is to be concise and not waffle, then you shouldn't run out of time. The first two paragraphs usually end up being one. Also, the mini conclusions aren't necessary but I like to do them. They're usually a few lines long.

Quick Reply

Latest