The Student Room Group

Sixth form - might drop out

Hey, I'm in y12, I have my mocks/pointless exams in febuary I think? Then my real y12 exams are in June/July. I took art, textiles and English literature. I dropped psychology. I got decent grades at GCSE. These are subjects I love, however, I'm really struggling. I don't do well with exam pressure and I'm a very negative person. The grade boundaries are so high now that they've changed the specifications. If I fail, they either kick me out or I stay on for an extra year til I'm 19. Or I get decent grades.. But here's the issue.

If I fail, where can I go?
If I get decent grades, if I wanted to drop out which is what I'm considering, what can I do? Does half an a-level get accepted at uni?? Or do they want you to stay on for the 2 full years?
Finally, if I get decent grades and stay on, with the way that I am and issues I've got, is putting my health at risk just for the sake of another stressful year worth it??

Need help!

Thank you, Tee
You honestly sound as though you're me. I've always been described as negative, and I too am not a big fan of sixth form.

You can go to college instead, and do a set course as opposed to separate a levels, usually these are worth around 3 a-levels (obviously it depends on the course though) but, you'll probably have to wait until September for this, but the good thing is that by doing this it may show you that you are good enough for a levels as you may change in that time!

As far as I know (I'm in year 12 too) unis do only accept full a levels, and even if they were to accept just as levels, they're more likely to favour someone with the a levels over you.

As with exams, I can't help you there, but believe me, I am the same, I stress and I make myself ill over them. ButI suppose you've got to remember that they only last for a matter of weeks, and if it doesn't go well, just resist them, or move on and go to college and get an apprenticeship. Who cares if you don't go to uni until you're 30!? There's no rush, you've got to go at your own pace and when you're ready,doing what you want to do.

Sorry I couldn't offer you much, but I hope I helped at least a little. A few weeks ago I went to my head of sixth form and told him basically everything you've said. I changed my options (for the second time) and now I just feel a lot more supported. Maybe it's worth talking to a for, tutor of your head of sixth form, as you're most definitely not the first or last person to feel this way.

I hope it gets better!
Chloe
Reply 2
Original post by chloecrazy
You honestly sound as though you're me. I've always been described as negative, and I too am not a big fan of sixth form.

You can go to college instead, and do a set course as opposed to separate a levels, usually these are worth around 3 a-levels (obviously it depends on the course though) but, you'll probably have to wait until September for this, but the good thing is that by doing this it may show you that you are good enough for a levels as you may change in that time!

As far as I know (I'm in year 12 too) unis do only accept full a levels, and even if they were to accept just as levels, they're more likely to favour someone with the a levels over you.

As with exams, I can't help you there, but believe me, I am the same, I stress and I make myself ill over them. ButI suppose you've got to remember that they only last for a matter of weeks, and if it doesn't go well, just resist them, or move on and go to college and get an apprenticeship. Who cares if you don't go to uni until you're 30!? There's no rush, you've got to go at your own pace and when you're ready,doing what you want to do.

Sorry I couldn't offer you much, but I hope I helped at least a little. A few weeks ago I went to my head of sixth form and told him basically everything you've said. I changed my options (for the second time) and now I just feel a lot more supported. Maybe it's worth talking to a for, tutor of your head of sixth form, as you're most definitely not the first or last person to feel this way.

I hope it gets better!
Chloe

Thank you so much!! That does help. Like before I chose sixth form my first option was an apprenticeship. Couldn't I just go straight into a job? I have one already. Also, you mentioned uni. If they only accept full a-levels then if I did something else, would they accept me??
Original post by FudgeCakes
Thank you so much!! That does help. Like before I chose sixth form my first option was an apprenticeship. Couldn't I just go straight into a job? I have one already. Also, you mentioned uni. If they only accept full a-levels then if I did something else, would they accept me??

You have to stay in education until you're 18/19, so you can't just do your job. Unis accept BTECs and some uni courses will also accept the qualifications you get from an apprenticeship, but this is worth researching as I'm not too sure on this and what they have to look for.
I think that if you really want to go to uni, your best bet will be college or sixth form, but if you're not too bothered, and by this I mean that you just want to go because you feel you have to, or the job you want requires you too, then go. If not, I wouldn't bother worrying, as there are plenty of jobs where you can just work your way up.

I think it's definitely worth doing some research into where apprenticeships can take you, as you get paid for them as well!! (Even though you've already got a job)

Quick Reply

Latest