The Student Room Group

Parents trying to arrange brother's marriage to MY FRIEND.

I'm getting so pissed off at my parents. It's making me sick.

Okay so my second brother recently got married and ever since then, my mum is always on the phone to my aunt and talking to everyone about trying to get my elder brother (age 29) married as he's now the only boy out of my relatives who isn't married. It's all she ****ing talks about and it's driving me insane.

The thing is, my brother never ever talks about the topic like he literally has no interest at all, yet here my parents are trying to get him married.

We live in a fairly small town and my parents are ****ing embarrassing trying to pick up a suitable girl from a family within the town.

First they were eyeing up this girl who myself and my sister cousins know as we went to school with her, but she's older than us. It's just weird and cringey that my parents are trying to get a girl who we know. Thankfully that girl is already getting married now to someone else.

Anyway, this girl who I grew up with (same class and year throughout primary and secondary school and college) we don't really keep in contact and only talk if we randomly see each other irl, but we know each other as we grew up together and now my mum is going to try contact her mum and ask if she's interested in marrying my brother. WHAT THE ****? It's just feels so wrong to me.

The girl in question is half greek and she's extremely popular and pretty, she's one of those 'it' girls. Yet the way my parents talk is like they think they can get any girl for my brother, lmao.

My aunt told my mum on the phone that she thinks my brother said to her son that he likes the girl. My mum's like "*brother's name* said he likes her" AND? Everyone likes her. It doesn't mean you can get her, lmao. Like she is literally a worldie way out of our league. Plus it's just ****ing weird man.

This is all so ridiculous and ****ing embarrassing, and yes my parents are asian for those who guessed it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It makes me sick how my parents basically objectify girls and talk like they can get any girl for my brother.
Like they assume girls are going to be into him and us and aren't allowed to think any different. oh my god.
They are honestly clueless and so backwards and I cannot wait until this mentality dies out.
Reply 2
He's 29 for God's sake. Surely he can tell them himself that he's not interested?
sheeeiiiii :rofl:
Reply 4
Original post by Ciel.
He's 29 for God's sake. Surely he can tell them himself that he's not interested?

He just doesn't say anything. He's lovely and all but he doesn't even talk to us unless he has to. He keeps to himself too much and comes home and goes to his room, avoids sitting with us at the dinner table and stuff. Like he really isn't prepared for a marriage, yet my parents have convinced themselves that he needs to get married ASAP. Plus he got banned from driving last month for 6 months, so now he has to walk everywhere.
Yet my parents think he's perfect marriage material ASAP. It's insane.
Original post by Anonymous
It makes me sick how my parents basically objectify girls and talk like they can get any girl for my brother.
Like they assume girls are going to be into him and us and aren't allowed to think any different. oh my god.
They are honestly clueless and so backwards and I cannot wait until this mentality dies out.

lmfao I'm dead, sorry to hear that bruh. Must be embarrasing as fuaarrkk :toofunny:
:lol: i figured it was asian
I'm sure your brother can say no? And if things ever get to that point, so can the girl?
Reply 8
I would sit down with your parents and address all these issues
Reply 9
Yes but my point is that I grew up with this girl and it's extremely awkward that my mum is going to approach her and her mum and ask if she want's to arrange with my brother. I'm sure the feeling is mutual that I cannot see her as my sister in law.

It's obviously going to get her talking to all the friends from school she's still in touch with, like "omg so and so's mum asked me if I wanted to marry her brother"

We invited her and her family to my other brother's wedding in November and we took a selfie together and she probs showed it to all the peeps from school who used to know me as I have changed so much. It's just the type of thing people round here do as it's such a small town.
Original post by emgoldy
I would sit down with your parents and address all these issues

I just have and they don't get it.

For example, my mum asked me what race the girl is as she's half greek, which is a completely different culture to my parents who are traditional pakistanis. I asked my mum if she even knows what Greek is and she said no. Enough said.
Original post by AIDS Skrillex
lmfao I'm dead, sorry to hear that bruh. Must be embarrasing as fuaarrkk :toofunny:

:frown: read this

I just have and they don't get it.

For example, my mum asked me what race the girl is as she's half greek, which is a completely different culture to my parents who are traditional pakistanis. I asked my mum if she even knows what Greek is and she said no. Enough said.
:frown: read this

lmfaooo

half greek and half what? does she even speak the language your parents do? lmao I'm dead, i'd run away if i was you
Original post by AIDS Skrillex
lmfaooo

half greek and half what? does she even speak the language your parents do? lmao I'm dead, i'd run away if i was you

Her father is Greek and mother is pakistani I believe. They split up though and her mum remarried. I can tell my mum is throwing upon that.

I'm not sure if she speaks the language but I know her and my family are just worlds apart. My parents eat curry and roti every day and refuse to try anything else, whereas her family always eat different types of cuisine.

I just confronted my mum about it saying all of these things yet she's still going to ask them.
The girl is a literal 10/10, even I fancy her tbh and I'm straight. She has glowed up so much since school. It's an extremely uncomfortable situation. :redface:
I just want to die at the thought of bumping into her from now on after she rejects whatever my mum says to her/her mum.
Lol. Wait to see what she says. If she's getting married then there's nothing to worry about. :tongue:
Her father is Greek and mother is pakistani I believe. They split up though and her mum remarried. I can tell my mum is throwing upon that.

I'm not sure if she speaks the language but I know her and my family are just worlds apart. My parents eat curry and roti every day and refuse to try anything else, whereas her family always eat different types of cuisine.

I just confronted my mum about it saying all of these things yet she's still going to ask them.
The girl is a literal 10/10, even I fancy her tbh and I'm straight. She has glowed up so much since school. It's an extremely uncomfortable situation. :redface:
I just want to die at the thought of bumping into her from now on after she rejects whatever my mum says to her/her mum.

sucks fam. pm me some of her pics tho.
Reply 16
Lol so cringey. Typical asian mother who thinks her son can get any girl. Tbh there's not a lot you can do unless your brother refuses himself, which I doubt he'll do if she's a 10/10 lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A321
Lol so cringey. Typical asian mother who thinks her son can get any girl. Tbh there's not a lot you can do unless your brother refuses himself, which I doubt he'll do if she's a 10/10 lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes this 100%
Glad you understand exactly what I mean
I'm getting so pissed off at my parents. It's making me sick.

Okay so my second brother recently got married and ever since then, my mum is always on the phone to my aunt and talking to everyone about trying to get my elder brother (age 29) married as he's now the only boy out of my relatives who isn't married. It's all she ****ing talks about and it's driving me insane.

The thing is, my brother never ever talks about the topic like he literally has no interest at all, yet here my parents are trying to get him married.

We live in a fairly small town and my parents are ****ing embarrassing trying to pick up a suitable girl from a family within the town.

First they were eyeing up this girl who myself and my sister cousins know as we went to school with her, but she's older than us. It's just weird and cringey that my parents are trying to get a girl who we know. Thankfully that girl is already getting married now to someone else.

Anyway, this girl who I grew up with (same class and year throughout primary and secondary school and college) we don't really keep in contact and only talk if we randomly see each other irl, but we know each other as we grew up together and now my mum is going to try contact her mum and ask if she's interested in marrying my brother. WHAT THE ****? It's just feels so wrong to me.

The girl in question is half greek and she's extremely popular and pretty, she's one of those 'it' girls. Yet the way my parents talk is like they think they can get any girl for my brother, lmao.

My aunt told my mum on the phone that she thinks my brother said to her son that he likes the girl. My mum's like "*brother's name* said he likes her" AND? Everyone likes her. It doesn't mean you can get her, lmao. Like she is literally a worldie way out of our league. Plus it's just ****ing weird man.

This is all so ridiculous and ****ing embarrassing, and yes my parents are asian for those who guessed it.

I feel your pain, asian parents smh they are so embarrassing:facepalm:
True tbh

The insecurity is in the sense of when you see an old friend from school and you see how you're both doing now that you've grown up and you kinda have to prove a point to each other that you're doing good, idk if that makes sense. Plus she can get any guy she wants and stuff

I just can't be related to someone I've grown up with at school because you naturally judge each other

On the other hand she has totally glowed up and she's just really beautiful I think I fancy her myself tbh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending