The Student Room Group

What are the best places to meet new people?

Hey all,

I've got a dilemma which I need a dressing asap really.

Im looking to meet new people and make some friends, but I haven't a clue where to start looking.

Now im extremely introverted and really dont talk much (not by choice though).
So how would I go about meeting new people and making friends?

Im really lonely and depressed and I want to change that.
I feel this is the best way to improve my life really.

Note: I said I want to meet new people who i can potentially make friends with.
That's all, ok.

So does anyone have any suggestions?

And if you say clubs, please state which kind of clubs too.

Thanks
Job
Charity stuff
Gym
Park(basketball court worked for me)
Original post by SuperHuman98
Job
Charity stuff
Gym
Park(basketball court worked for me)

Job - Have One, and it has helped I admit. But not enough so far.

Charity Stuff - Such As?

Gym - Nearly all sorted, have a membership. Just need some trainers.

Park - Haven't got a local one im afraid :frown:

Thankyou
Perhaps there are some people in your neighbourhood who are of a similar age to you..
Or people who regularly take the same bus as you, maybe?
Local library? There's bound to be people there! Hehe they may have the same reading interests as you (if you read)
Join a club that you like (youth club, karate, football team, knitting club, reading club) and you'll have lots to talk about to the people there. If you're not sure about where to go to find clubs, maybe search online and type in your town.

It's quite difficult Cuz it's hard to make friends outside of school.. but I hope this helped!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by FireFreezer77
Job - Have One, and it has helped I admit. But not enough so far.

Charity Stuff - Such As?

Gym - Nearly all sorted, have a membership. Just need some trainers.

Park - Haven't got a local one im afraid :frown:

Thankyou

I think job is your best bet you can try make a group chat, go cinema etc. Develop your friendships

Charity stuff idk but im sure it will get your friends

How old are you?
Original post by iEthan
It's not my section, sorry :redface: - please report it if you think it needs to go. I hope you're able to meet some new people OP. :smile:

Ah damn, no worries.
Will do, its not relevant at all to this thread, and they've tagged someone I've been told to stay away from so yeah, not good.

Thanks man :smile:

Btw whose section is this? I cant see as im on my phone atm
Making friends at your workplace could be a good start. And perhaps through them you could meet more people. It would be a good point to start, maybe helping you feel more confident and less introverted. Good luck :smile:
Original post by FireFreezer77
Hey all,

I've got a dilemma which I need a dressing asap really.

Im looking to meet new people and make some friends, but I haven't a clue where to start looking.

Now im extremely introverted and really dont talk much (not by choice though).
So how would I go about meeting new people and making friends?

Im really lonely and depressed and I want to change that.
I feel this is the best way to improve my life really.

Note: I said I want to meet new people who i can potentially make friends with.
That's all, ok.

So does anyone have any suggestions?

And if you say clubs, please state which kind of clubs too.

Thanks

Sports clubs? Badminton or tennis might be good fun and great for bonding with people. Sporty club type people tend to be welcoming and quite amicable.

And if you're at uni societies are legit the best way ngl, or lectures (at the end lmao), orrrrrr just randomly talk to people you see waiting in the same places as you - like the bus stop (works for me :lol:)
@FireFreezer77!! :hello:

if you get a job, maybe another one? - you'll meet people who work the same-ish age as you

Get into hobbies or communities where you'll naturally meet a lot of people, i remember you like Cars, so maybe join or go to motering events- you could find people with common interests?

you could join sports teams? like i did, i enjoyed basketball, so joined a team and the team are my friends?

Spoiler

Could meeting people on TSR or other internet sites and then progressing to in real life friendships work? So long as you were looking within a reasonable distance from where you are.

Although your profile says do not contact me so that's not the most welcoming thing lol.
Original post by PocketSized
Perhaps there are some people in your neighbourhood who are of a similar age to you..
Or people who regularly take the same bus as you, maybe?
Local library? There's bound to be people there! Hehe they may have the same reading interests as you (if you read)
Join a club that you like (youth club, karate, football team, knitting club, reading club) and you'll have lots to talk about to the people there. If you're not sure about where to go to find clubs, maybe search online and type in your town.

It's quite difficult Cuz it's hard to make friends outside of school.. but I hope this helped!

There are some but they're rather dodgy (they keep getting arrested).
I don't get the bus anymore tbh.
Hmm the library is a good idea. I'll have a look at doing that one day :smile:

What exactly is a youth club? I've heard of them but never really understood what they actually are. But yes clubs are a great idea :smile:

Unfortunately that's very true. You've helped :smile: Thankyou.

Original post by SuperHuman98
I think job is your best bet you can try make a group chat, go cinema etc. Develop your friendships

Charity stuff idk but im sure it will get your friends

How old are you?

Yeah that does seem the best way currently tbh. I'll absolutely do that.

Hmm fair enough then. That's good though.

Original post by Lord Samosa
Making friends at your workplace could be a good start. And perhaps through them you could meet more people. It would be a good point to start, maybe helping you feel more confident and less introverted. Good luck :smile:

Okey dokey, that is one I will be working on when I go back after the holiday.
Hopefully that can happen, it'd be a great help tbh/
Thank you for this, helped a lot
Original post by SinsNotTragedies
Sports clubs? Badminton or tennis might be good fun and great for bonding with people. Sporty club type people tend to be welcoming and quite amicable.

And if you're at uni societies are legit the best way ngl, or lectures (at the end lmao), orrrrrr just randomly talk to people you see waiting in the same places as you - like the bus stop (works for me :lol:)

Sports clubs are something I'd like to do, just finding the right one. I'm more into winter sports (I.e. Snowboarding) but there's nowhere nearby where I can do that :frown: But I'll absolutely keep looking for a sport to do :smile:
Ah well that's good then :smile:

I'm afraid I'm not at uni, I work full time. I'm becoming friends with the people who work there, so I guess that's a good step?
I'd love to be able to do that, I'm just lacking confidence. How do you initiate it may I ask?

Original post by CleverSquirrel
@FireFreezer77!! :hello:

if you get a job, maybe another one? - you'll meet people who work the same-ish age as you

Get into hobbies or communities where you'll naturally meet a lot of people, i remember you like Cars, so maybe join or go to motering events- you could find people with common interests?

you could join sports teams? like i did, i enjoyed basketball, so joined a team and the team are my friends?

Spoiler

Hey :smile:

I work full time so i don't really have time for another job.

I do want to do that but I'm struggling to find anything currently. Car communities are lacking in my area :frown:
I do go to motoring events rather regularly (going to one in two weeks haha :tongue:) so that seems a good way as you mentioned.

I would like to but in my area we just don't have the facilities for these sports :frown: But imma keep looking around.
Glad you enjoy your basketball, and glad you've made some friends there!

Spoiler

Original post by Internet girl
Could meeting people on TSR or other internet sites and then progressing to in real life friendships work? So long as you were looking within a reasonable distance from where you are.

Although your profile says do not contact me so that's not the most welcoming thing lol.

Potentially, but what I've found on here is that the people I talk to don't live anywhere near me :/
But yes that's absolutely an idea (albeit not the preferred one).

Yeah that's true. Technically I've left this webpage to move on and make friends irl etc. But I needed some assistance, so I came back briefly :tongue:
school, uni, work, etc
making friends really isn't very easy, for anybody. a lot of people will try to tell you it is though.
most people tend to not realise that their own friends are just the people they've generally hung around with in school or work long enough to establish some kind of friendly connection - so it's less to do with the people themselves and more to do with the circumstances. and when people have a lot in common, that doesn't necessarily mean they'll make great friends. sometimes very different people can influence each other's hobbies and interests simply due to enough exposure, and that in turn creates a stronger bond. that's the story with a lot of my own friends - I was a very different guy when I met a lot of them, and at the same time, they were very different to how they are now. we eventually kind of met in the middle.
(edited 7 years ago)
You're 19 and work fulltime? Are you planning to go uni?
Tinder?
Honicaa add for nudes on snapchat
Original post by AIDS Skrillex
You're 19 and work fulltime? Are you planning to go uni?

Yup

No, I never wanted to go to uni

Original post by Pinkberry_y
Tinder?

Doesn't work. I never get any matches :frown:
Anywhere that is of interest to you, therefore you meet like-minded people.
hey ff, glad to see your back on TSR. I was meaning to talk motorsport with you before you left but was preoccupied with IRL stuff (busy at work + 1 of my parents had serious health issues and my local NHS hospital and primary care is crap so I had to do a lot of headbashing to get my way - an advantage of being a pharmacist is knowing what to do and what needs doing).

anyhoo, regarding the convo, I was thinking (and it is a tad old fashioned) but check adverts for activities in your local newspaper or council stuff. employment related varies depending where you are (the fact u said that your work was a pro rather than a con is good).

regarding charity stuff, I think the poster of that comment meant volunteer work. youd be surprised at the different people you meet volunteering for different stuff that suits your interests. even consider going to race steward courses as your bound to meet fellow motosport enthsiasts (when I was at uni, I went to see a BTCC race at a circuit near my uni as part of st john's ambulance links).
I'll try that, struggling to find places tbh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending