The Student Room Group

Loughborough university or Swansea university?

I have been offered places at both and I'm struggling to decide which to go to. What's everyone elses opinion?
Reply 1
What are you going to study? I can't speak for Loughborough but my sister is at Swansea and is having a great time. It's a great place to be a student!
Reply 2
Psychology. I really liked the area of Swansea but Loughborough is higher in the league tables :/
Reply 3
Loughbrough.
League tables matter when you do such a popular degree as psychology.
Original post by Nottie
Loughbrough.
League tables matter when you do such a popular degree as psychology.

why's that?
Reply 5
Original post by cambio wechsel
why's that?

Because there are many people graduating each year and only few posts for graduate job.
Employers don't care that Swansea is a nice city if loughborough has good ranking.
Original post by Nottie
Because there are many people graduating each year and only few posts for graduate job.
Employers don't care that Swansea is a nice city if loughborough has good ranking.

Employers have no notion of Loughbrough's ranking relative to Swansea's. There are in employer minds perhaps 5 broad bands of universities and these were fixed in the employer's noggin when he was applying for university in 1993.
Reply 7
Original post by cambio wechsel
Employers have no notion of Loughbrough's ranking relative to Swansea's. There are in employer minds perhaps 5 broad bands of universities and these were fixed in the employer's noggin when he was applying for university in 1993.

My mum employs compsci graduates and the admission team is aware of the rankings.
Obi you can do great being anglia Ruskin graduate and work in macdonalds after graduating oxbridge, but most of students are mediocre and the uni they chose reflect their knowledge and ability to do well in their subjects.
Furthermore, better position usually means better content and better preparation for the future job. For psychology, there's a massive difference between Newcastle and Nottingham, with Newcastle requiring more knowledge from their students
Original post by Nottie
Furthermore, better position usually means better content and better preparation for the future job.

No, it doesn't. The criteria used in league tables is very clearly provided at the top of the table. "Better content" or better preparation for future employment does not feature on any table I have seen (although I confess to not having seen much tables since they are not of interest or relevance to me). Given that most degrees are probably academic degrees that do not lead into any particular job, other than a researcher, it would in fact be very difficult to measure how well a particular degree prepares you for your future job.

For psychology, there's a massive difference between Newcastle and Nottingham, with Newcastle requiring more knowledge from their students

And yet, according to the CUG they are both right next to each other in the table, with Nottingham being above Newcastle, often by several places, in previous years' tables.
Reply 9
Original post by AuroraDawn
Psychology. I really liked the area of Swansea but Loughborough is higher in the league tables :/

Did you go to visit Loughborough? I think it's very important that you feel the uni is right for you as well as considering league tables. You will be living there for three years!

From the rest of this thread there seems to be some discussion about the league tables. It seems that Loughborough is slightly higher than Swansea, but only by five places or so.

Perhaps you could visit the specific threads on TSR for Swansea and Loughborough to see if any current student's can point out what is/isn't great about each Uni.

You must make sure you feel happy where you end up. Maybe visit the website's for each Uni again, check the modules you could study at each Uni, see what's around in the local area etc.
Original post by AuroraDawn
I have been offered places at both and I'm struggling to decide which to go to. What's everyone elses opinion?

Our Psychology department is accredited for its world class research with excellent teaching and facilities.

If you would like to find out more about please get in touch:

[email protected]
Reputation-wise, they're pretty similar so I wouldn't choose on that basis.

I would choose based on location and what the university fabric is like. I've never been to either place so I can't recommend one over the other.

Quick Reply

Latest