The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of Glasgow Accommodation - Official Q&A

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fuzzedshadow
Hi, I recently got an offer through clearing, however because of the 72 hour time frame I don't think I will be able to apply for accommodation in time. Anything you can do to help? Thanks :smile:

Hi @fuzzedshadow,

Congrats on getting a place at Glasgow Uni! :wink:

It is very likely that your details are already in our system and you should be able to make an application online now.

Please DM your details so I can check if your record is in our system.

Regards
Sandra
Accommodation Services
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Hello,
I'm a bit confused, as many others appear to be, about your system for allocating rooms. In some people's replies you say a conditional or even clearing offer won't mean you get a room lower down on your list than someone with an unconditional, because you say all people's applications are processed at the same time (as long as you apply by the 22/8/16 deadline) however in other replies you admit to people
"We allocate rooms on a first come first served basis" and even "I believe that applying later may affect your chances of getting your top choices." The person you said this too had applied by the deadline, but obviously later than people with an unconditional, so which policy do you have? Do you start allocating rooms as soon as unconditional applications come through, so people like me who have come through Clearing and physically couldn't have applied until the day of the deadline, will by default be less likely to get a room higher up on their preference list? Or is your policy that people with unconditionals can apply very early but no rooms will be allocated until the deadline has passed.

Sorry for the essay just very concerned that people like me in Clearing have less of a chance of getting a choice high up on their list, as like many people have said on this thread, past choice 3 I really wouldn't like to be in my 4th, 5th or 6th choice

Thanks
Hi @Megan Oversby,

When we say "we allocate rooms on a first come first served basis" we refer to our policy of allocating rooms in accordance to the application date. Applications opened in February and the deadline to get a guaranteed offer of accommodation was on 22nd August.
In February both students with conditional or unconditional offers can apply, therefore they are not on a disadvantage.

We process the applications of students with unconditional offers prior to August, but is only in August that we can process the applications of students who had a conditional offer. We keep a stock of our rooms reserved for these students to be allocated in August, so if for example you had a conditional offer and applied on February with let's say a popular residence such as Kelvinhaugh Gate as your first choice, you are very likely to be offered your first choice in August as you applied early.

If you applied later in May, June,...then this means that we have already been receiving applications from February and while you are guaranteed an offer this might not be your top choice as many other students have applied before you. Obviously this depends on what your first choice is!

Students coming through clearing are not applying until very close to the deadline and that is very late in the process. Not too late to get a guaranteed offer, but late if you are keen to stay in some of the most popular residences.

Hope this info helps :smile:

Sandra
Accommodation Services
Hi,
I have a few questions:
Do we receive more than one offer for accommodation after we apply?
What would happen of we decline an accommodation offer? Do we receive another offer or would we then need to go in search of our own place?

I applied for accommodation quite early on before we knew what kind of financial situation we were going to be in (we had initially thought we were going to get a high student loan amount, as we met quite a lot of criteria.) So we had listed some of the more expensive halls as our top choices, I received an offer for Wolfson Hall which I was thrilled about as it was in my top 3 but looking at the cost, and the low actual amount of student loan awarded I honestly do not think that my family and I would be able to cope on financial terms.
Thanks.
Hi @Littleme98 ,

At the moment Wolfson Hall is the only residence with vacancies so if you were to reject your offer we wouldn't be able to offer you a place anywhere else.

There is the possibility of applying for a room transfer once you are in your accommodation. Applications will open on Monday 12th September. These requests are dealt with in the order they are received and any changes are subject to availability. Rooms may become available as some students decide not to come to University or withdraw from their studies early after starting their course.

Hope this info helps!

Best wishes
Sandra
Accommodation Services
(edited 7 years ago)
FREE IKEA TRIPS

Looking to buy basic home essentials and some other less essential stuff to brighten up your room? We've got you covered!

What if we take you on a free trip to IKEA?
We are looking to organise IKEA trips on the following dates:

Sunday 4th SeptemberLeaving from:Saturday 10th SeptemberLeaving from:Sunday 11th SeptemberLeaving from:Buses will depart at around 10.30am and will leave from IKEA at 4pm. Exact Bus departure points and times TBC.

Apart from IKEA there are plenty of leisure opportunities available at intu Braehead, it'll be a fun day with your new flatmates!

Book your place!
Hi! I have applied for accommodation and I meet all the criteria for a guaranteed offer but so far I haven't received anything and I'm starting to panic as we're coming closer to the start of the academic year. Any advice?
Hi @christian_ ,

We'll be sending offers by the middle of next week to students who applied late in August.
Please DM your details so I can have a look at your application record.

Sandra
Accommodation Services
Original post by University of Glasgow Accommodation
Hi @christian_ ,

We'll be sending offers by the middle of next week to students who applied late in August.
Please DM your details so I can have a look at your application record.

Sandra
Accommodation Services

Hi Sandra!

Thanks for replying! I've sent you a PM with my details.
Reply 109
Can anyone from the staff enter my room while I'm not there, without any previous notice?
Hi @Eriu89,

Staff will normally give at least 24 hours prior notice of their intention to carry out inspections or work in you room.
Only in the case of emergency no no notice is required.

Regards
Sandra
Accommodation Services
Reply 111
Hi, I am currently looking for a student to replace me in an ensuite-room at Wolfson Hall, do you have any websites to recommend in order to help me find someone ?
Thank you.
Original post by tanagra
Hi, I am currently looking for a student to replace me in an ensuite-room at Wolfson Hall, do you have any websites to recommend in order to help me find someone ?
Thank you.

Hi @tanagra,

You could advertise the room at My Student Voice and SRC Flatshare. These are both used by Glasgow University students.

Your replacement needs to be doing the same course as you (Undergraduate or Postgraduate), same gender and be a Glasgow University student not currently staying at university accommodation.

If you find someone who wishes to take your place bring them to the office at The Fraser Building Level 1.

Regards
Sandra
Accommodation Services
Hi!
I recently received an unconditional offer from Glasgow Uni for next year's entry. I was wondering, when are applications for 2017-2018 accommodation open? I really want to apply as soon as possible. I've read that you can do as soon as you accept the offer, but I wouldn't want to be disadvantaged if my other choices take long to give me an answer.

Thank you!
Hi @EugeniaAries,

Great to hear you are thinking of coming to Glasgow! :smile:

Applications for 2017/2018 will open in February 2017. You can follow us on twitter and facebook to keep updated, we'll make an announcement as soon as the system goes live. To be able to register for an application you should have accepted an offer of study at the University of Glasgow (conditional or unconditional), you won't be able to submit an application if Glasgow is your insurance choice.

Hope this helps!:redface:

Regards
Sandra
Accommodation Services
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi @EugeniaAries,

Great to hear you are thinking of coming to Glasgow! :smile:

Applications for 2017/2018 will open in February 2017. You can follow us on twitter and facebook to keep updated, we'll make an announcement as soon as the system goes live. To be able to register for an application you should have accepted an offer of study at the University of Glasgow (conditional or unconditional), you won't be able to submit an application if Glasgow is your insurance choice.

Hope this helps!:redface:

Regards
Sandra
Accommodation Services

Thank you for your answer. I wanted to ask you about the accommodation, is Murano and Cairncross very far away from the city centre and the uni? Is living there a problem when clubbing and going out? And, just another thing, in your opinion, what is better located,the student appartments, or the latter ones mentioned?

Thank you again!!x
Hi @EugeniaAries and Happy New Year! :biggrin:

Cairncross House is about 10-15 minutes walk to Campus and right next to some bars and cafes along Argyle Street. Byres Road, where most clubs and pubs are located, is within a 15 minute walk.You can either walk about 30 minutes to the city center or reach it in 10 minutes by bus.

Murano Street Student Village is further away from Campus, around 20-25 minutes walk. There are a couple of venues nearby but most of the bars and restaurants are within a 15 minute walk on Great Western Road and Byres Road. There are regular buses to the City Centre from Maryhill Road, you'll be there in 15 minutes.

Most students go out around the West end and the Student Unions on Campus, so you can easily reach both from the residences. You can walk back to your residence with friends or get a taxi. There are two taxi ranks in the west end, nearby most venues, and they are reasonably priced. The same goes for a night out in the city centre, a taxi is a convenient and safe option to get you back home late at night.

Student Apartments are located right on Campus, so can't be beaten on convenience to get to the library :smile: They are also close to nightlife hot spots in the west end and the underground station, so you can get to the City Centre very easily. On the other hand, the number of students staying there is small compared to the other residences, so you always have a better chance of meeting loads of students in the larger halls. The other residences are a short walk to Campus and not far away from most shops and bars in the west end. Have a look at our Know Your Area Guides for Kelvinhaugh Residences, Queen Margaret Residences, Student Apartments, Murano Street Student Village and Wolfson Hall to learn more about what you can expect to find around our residences.

Hope this info helps! :smile:

Sandra
Accommodation Services
Hi @EugeniaAries and Happy New Year! :biggrin:

Cairncross House is about 10-15 minutes walk to Campus and right next to some bars and cafes along Argyle Street. Byres Road, where most clubs and pubs are located, is within a 15 minute walk.You can either walk about 30 minutes to the city center or reach it in 10 minutes by bus.

Murano Street Student Village is further away from Campus, around 20-25 minutes walk. There are a couple of venues nearby but most of the bars and restaurants are within a 15 minute walk on Great Western Road and Byres Road. There are regular buses to the City Centre from Maryhill Road, you'll be there in 15 minutes.

Most students go out around the West end and the Student Unions on Campus, so you can easily reach both from the residences. You can walk back to your residence with friends or get a taxi. There are two taxi ranks in the west end, nearby most venues, and they are reasonably priced. The same goes for a night out in the city centre, a taxi is a convenient and safe option to get you back home late at night.

Student Apartments are located right on Campus, so can't be beaten on convenience to get to the library :smile: They are also close to nightlife hot spots in the west end and the underground station, so you can get to the City Centre very easily. On the other hand, the number of students staying there is small compared to the other residences, so you always have a better chance of meeting loads of students in the larger halls. The other residences are a short walk to Campus and not far away from most shops and bars in the west end. Have a look at our Know Your Area Guides for Kelvinhaugh Residences, Queen Margaret Residences, Student Apartments, Murano Street Student Village and Wolfson Hall to learn more about what you can expect to find around our residences.

Hope this info helps! :smile:

Sandra
Accommodation Services

This response answered all of my questions! Thank you so much!!
Happy New year to you too :h:
I just received an unconditional offer for the MSc International Management and Design Innovation Programme. I realise that this takes place both at the Adam Smith Business School as well as the Glasgow School of Arts. Which accomodation for Master's students would be easiest for me to travel to both of these as well as have access to the more social areas of the city?
Hi @akshayakannan,

Well done on getting an offer to come to UofG! :banana:
Both Maclay Residences or Kelvinhaugh Street will be great postgraduate residences for you. They are located quite close to each other, and the trip to the Adam Smith Business School will be around 10-15 minutes and 20-25 minutes to the Glasgow School of Art in the City Centre. There are also public transport options to get to the city centre quicker, a bus ride will take about 15 minutes.

These residences are located in the Finnieston area of Glasgow, which is very lively, full of restaurants and bars. It is located half way from the West End (Byres Road) and the City Centre, so nothing is far from there! For more info check out our Know Your Area Guide.

The main difference between the residences is that Maclay offers ensuite rooms, while Kelvinhaugh has single standard rooms. Check out our Postgraduate Accommodation website for more info on prices and facilities.

All the best,

Sandra
Accommodation Services

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending