The Student Room Group

Free periods at Sixth Form

Hi, I go to a sixth form which is in a college. I have about 3, 3 hour free periods a week on a Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Normally I meet my friend on Thursday and Friday for lunch which is great! However, on Wednesday I have a free 10:30 to 1:15, and I hate it as my friend isn't in on Wednesdays and everyone else has other friends they go off with, I am a shy person around people I don't know very well, so that's why I only meet my one friend at lunch. I used to driving lessons on a Wednesday but I don't anymore. I have work I could do but the area where to computers are is always loud and busy😫So I'm not going to get any work done there, and the library is ages away from the actual sixth form block. I really don't know what to do😫 I hate this!! Please could someone give me suggestions on what I could do in these free period? I sometimes just go to the toilet and stay in there for the whole free period, watching YouTubers or just on my phone😩☹️ Any suggestions?
Free periods are for studying. Use them wisely. You'll be incredibly grateful for them, especially in your second year when exams are looming
Bring headphones into the work area to block out the sound. Seriously use your frees wisely and study in them, otherwise you'll most likely regret it
Original post by emilyy2871
Hi, I go to a sixth form which is in a college. I have about 3, 3 hour free periods a week on a Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Normally I meet my friend on Thursday and Friday for lunch which is great! However, on Wednesday I have a free 10:30 to 1:15, and I hate it as my friend isn't in on Wednesdays and everyone else has other friends they go off with, I am a shy person around people I don't know very well, so that's why I only meet my one friend at lunch. I used to driving lessons on a Wednesday but I don't anymore. I have work I could do but the area where to computers are is always loud and busy😫So I'm not going to get any work done there, and the library is ages away from the actual sixth form block. I really don't know what to do😫 I hate this!! Please could someone give me suggestions on what I could do in these free period? I sometimes just go to the toilet and stay in there for the whole free period, watching YouTubers or just on my phone😩☹️ Any suggestions?

What about some noise cancelling head phones, as if you play music it might be distracting but if you cancel the noise out you could concentrate and get some work done. How far is the library away, how long does it take to walk there?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous1502
What about some noise cancelling head phones, as if you play music it might be distracting but if you cancel the noise out you could concentrate and get some work done. How far is the library away, how long does it take to walk there?

The library is in another building across the road, and tbh it's always busy in there with group lessons going on. I get paranoid when sitting near people, not sure why - must be social phobia or something 🤷🏻*♀️. I just hate it yanno. I'm going to be driving soon as I'm taking my practical test for the first week in March, and then I can drive around in this free.
However the time until then, I hate these frees. And I don't live close to college at all, it takes me an hour on the bus!! So not chance of me going home 😫
use it for self directed study you will need the skills it provides later on.
Keep in mind there are kids out there who are banging out every free they have already you may want to use those frees even if it's just one or two a week
Original post by emilyy2871

Please don't waste your free periods. I did exactly the same kind of thing, just sitting in the toilets being the awkward friendless person- and I failed my A-levels. Currently resitting them now. Do NOT make the same mistake.
Do hwk in your frees and revision at home
This is the same with me, 2 of my friends do the same subject as me but we're in different classes so our timetable is like the complete opposite.

What I do in my free periods though is either go home, go to the library or sit in one of the window seats in college. My sixth form college also has a "silent area" for those wanting to study peacefully. Does your sixth form have that?
Use it to do homework and/or go over topics that you either did in class, or that you're not sure of
hmm could you not ask one of your teachers if you could use a classroom/computer room to study in, inside the sixth form? :smile:
is there a town or something nearby where you could go into a coffee shop & revise?
if your sixth form has a gym you could use that for a bit to pass time
or just go home & study
Reply 12
I use my frees but if I have a little extra to do at home I will. But home is for sleeeeep ! :biggrin:
I don't really chill with anyone at college anyway.

But yes !! Use your frees please ! You need them. They're there for a reason
(edited 7 years ago)
If you dont revise in your free periods you will die (not literally)
A levels (especially maths and science) are BRUTAL without proper revision
If you have a common room like my sixth form then i recommend pulling up a table somewhere (and chair of course :P) and revising a bit. It may not seem like you need revision but i only realised in about march and it was too late by then (didnt help how my teachers were and are pretty crap)
Original post by aleksceramics
Bring headphones into the work area to block out the sound. Seriously use your frees wisely and study in them, otherwise you'll most likely regret it

I agree
You don't need friends to sit and study in your frees. At first, you'll probably feel a bit self conscious sitting by yourself when everyone else seems to be with a group of friends - but that is often not the case. Observe your surroundings more and you'll see that there are others who are sitting alone.
hard to suggest without knowing your college

honestly I would try and work during frees if you can, if you have a long time it's worth walking 10 mins to the library where it will be quieter - or if you know a classroom is free you could ask the teacher if you can study in there? if there are any cafes nearby you can also walk to one and work there.

you could also try and ask someone in your class what they're doing and ask to join them for lunch?
If your school has a swimming pool (Wggs) could you use it during free periods?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending