The Student Room Group

Am I good enough for medicine or dentistry?

ffff
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Fstudent1
first of all, I did really badly at gcse because a close family member passed away during the exam period and i wasn't really in the best position. my results were:
Science (double), spanish, english lang - B
Maths, business studies, history, religious studies, English lit, ICT - A
I didn't get any A* grades but i was a couple marks off in a number of subjects.

I'm currently studying chemistry, biology and maths at A-Level but we haven't progressed far enough to get predicted grades but i'm aiming for at least AAA. (possibly an A* in biology) I'm also taking up the EPQ.

I have a hobby of teaching myself to play the piano, I also tutor yr11 students who are struggling to pass maths and history. Currently doing the Mark Evison challenge with my friends too. (I have plenty of growth evoking experiences I can write about.)

I've also been told that my gcse grades make it so that I have no chance in medicine.. :frown:

GCSE grades aren't the be all and end all - different universities place different emphasis on different factors - your reference should explain about your bereavement affecting your grades.

What is important is work experience and shadowing and conversations with medical professionals. You need to decide which career you want to pursue and have a clear understanding of what the job (and the jobs of people you'll be working with) entails.
Each university has different requirements, some ask for 6/7 A*-As minimum (you have 6 As- so you are good). You just have to make sure that you read and check their requirements thoroughly. For these courses experience is VITAL, so just make sure in the summer or during half terms/holidays you are constantly seeking some type of medical related work so that you are able to outweigh your grades with your experience.
Having extenuating circumstances obviously puts you in a better light than others who have achieved the same grades as you (your grades aren't bad at all). Just make sure that whoever is your UCAS referee includes your circumstances, and you'll get offers don't worry.
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
GCSE grades aren't the be all and end all - different universities place different emphasis on different factors - your reference should explain about your bereavement affecting your grades.

What is important is work experience and shadowing and conversations with medical professionals. You need to decide which career you want to pursue and have a clear understanding of what the job (and the jobs of people you'll be working with) entails.

Thank you!!
When taking my exams I didn't tell anyone about the family members that passed, can my referee still put it in my reference?
Reply 4
Original post by Hannaha124
Each university has different requirements, some ask for 6/7 A*-As minimum (you have 6 As- so you are good). You just have to make sure that you read and check their requirements thoroughly. For these courses experience is VITAL, so just make sure in the summer or during half terms/holidays you are constantly seeking some type of medical related work so that you are able to outweigh your grades with your experience.
Having extenuating circumstances obviously puts you in a better light than others who have achieved the same grades as you (your grades aren't bad at all). Just make sure that whoever is your UCAS referee includes your circumstances, and you'll get offers don't worry.

Thank you for responding!
I honestly know that I'm capable of studying it but my pervious grades don't show that at all and with medicine and dentistry being as competitive as they are, realistically, would it be silly to use my five options on medical/dental schools?
Original post by Fstudent1
Thank you for responding!
I honestly know that I'm capable of studying it but my pervious grades don't show that at all and with medicine and dentistry being as competitive as they are, realistically, would it be silly to use my five options on medical/dental schools?

Your last choice is always meant to be a safety like biomedical science/ biochemistry or dental hygiene etc. Imo do 4 straight courses and then 1 safety course to just guarantee you an offer in case

Quick Reply

Latest