The Student Room Group

GCSE English Writing a script

Hi. We've the work on Spoken Language which needs to be done until 10th. Has anyone done any script, podcast or monologue?

The Question is:
Write a script that contains between 30 seconds and 2 minutes of spoken language for:
A speech for an internet tutorial
A voice over for a television charity appeal or
A local radio documentary

I will just need some help with the beggining, and obviously how to start it. I am asking because we haven't had any lessons on it before.

Thank you
Do you still need help?
Reply 2
Yes, I need help with this
Original post by MartinoXX
Hi. We've the work on Spoken Language which needs to be done until 10th. Has anyone done any script, podcast or monologue?

The Question is:
Write a script that contains between 30 seconds and 2 minutes of spoken language for:
A speech for an internet tutorial
A voice over for a television charity appeal or
A local radio documentary

I will just need some help with the beggining, and obviously how to start it. I am asking because we haven't had any lessons on it before.

Thank you

Which one are you doing?
Reply 4
I am doing podcast. I had chosen the topic before but then I stopped because I couldn't really make it right. I've chosen different one this time, about health. Have you got any tips how to start? I will need to finish it by tomorrow, and still have no ideas on it.

Thank you in advance
I am doing podcast. I had chosen the topic before but then I stopped because I couldn't really make it right. I've chosen different one this time, about health. Have you got any tips how to start? I will need to finish it by tomorrow, and still have no ideas on it.

Thank you in advance

you need to quote me otherwise I can't see you've replied!!

So it's a podcast about health. Is that the documentary one out of the three subject options they gave you?

What part of health?

Do you need to start at the beginning? I always like to start halfway through as I don't do well with introductions! It's still a lucid production, it's just further along in the production line.

Perhaps send me what you have and I can makes some suggestions?

For example, if I were doing about blood donors, I would start in the middle (as my beginning) with some fact about how many people die as a result of not having enough blood in hospitals. I then might go onto the importance of different blood groups and rhesus positive and negative. I might the finish with a 'so that's why we need you to register as a donor today. Register and save a life' sort of thing.

Eye contact is important and flow of speech so don't stand there looking constipated and look at who you are talking to (just some tips on presenting)
Reply 6
Original post by gwaggy
you need to quote me otherwise I can't see you've replied!!

So it's a podcast about health. Is that the documentary one out of the three subject options they gave you?

What part of health?

Do you need to start at the beginning? I always like to start halfway through as I don't do well with introductions! It's still a lucid production, it's just further along in the production line.

Perhaps send me what you have and I can makes some suggestions?

For example, if I were doing about blood donors, I would start in the middle (as my beginning) with some fact about how many people die as a result of not having enough blood in hospitals. I then might go onto the importance of different blood groups and rhesus positive and negative. I might the finish with a 'so that's why we need you to register as a donor today. Register and save a life' sort of thing.

Eye contact is important and flow of speech so don't stand there looking constipated and look at who you are talking to (just some tips on presenting)

Wow, thats really helpful. Do you have anymore ideas?? Lets say blood donors, thats actually a great idea. How would you end it and expand a bit?
Wow, thats really helpful. Do you have anymore ideas?? Lets say blood donors, thats actually a great idea. How would you end it and expand a bit?

So you want a punchy ending so people will want to sign up. If you have a good catch phrase, people will get it stuck in their heads which does the job. Like you know all those stupid TV jingles that you know off by heart when you're in the middle of an exam and what you really need to know who wrote The Bloody Chamber.

If you watch/read current NHS donor adverts, it's always like 'it only takes a minute to register as a donor' or 'you could save a life'. Sentences like that catch people's attention and make all the difference in how successful a campaign can be. Remember the world war poster 'your country needs you'?

So if it were me, I'd finish the middle part about blood donation and for the ending I'd say along the lines of 'with each pint you donate, x people can receive a donation that can save their life. Please donate today' Obviously you'd need to find out how many people can benefit from one pint of donated blood.

I'd simply end it there so it doesn't peter out. Go out strong. If you waffle, it loses effect very quickly
Reply 8
Original post by gwaggy
So you want a punchy ending so people will want to sign up. If you have a good catch phrase, people will get it stuck in their heads which does the job. Like you know all those stupid TV jingles that you know off by heart when you're in the middle of an exam and what you really need to know who wrote The Bloody Chamber.

If you watch/read current NHS donor adverts, it's always like 'it only takes a minute to register as a donor' or 'you could save a life'. Sentences like that catch people's attention and make all the difference in how successful a campaign can be. Remember the world war poster 'your country needs you'?

So if it were me, I'd finish the middle part about blood donation and for the ending I'd say along the lines of 'with each pint you donate, x people can receive a donation that can save their life. Please donate today' Obviously you'd need to find out how many people can benefit from one pint of donated blood.

I'd simply end it there so it doesn't peter out. Go out strong. If you waffle, it loses effect very quickly

Wow. I've got my lesson tomorrow in the evening so I'll be finish writing it by 11.
Can I ask you one more thing?

He wrote a podcast on poverty and its mostly his opinion, discussion based, something like: "“***, why is it that the X keeps on getting X and likewise the poor?”".

Is that a good way to keep it going or it wont get me any marks?

Sorry for the questions but I nearly got B5 from my previous one so if I achieve at least strong B3, I would end up with B4 overall.
(edited 7 years ago)
Wow. I've got my lesson tomorrow in the evening so I'll be finish writing it by 11.
Can I ask you one more thing?

He wrote a podcast on poverty and its mostly his opinion, discussion based, something like: "“***, why is it that the X keeps on getting X and likewise the poor?”".

Is that a good way to keep it going or it wont get me any marks?

'He' is your teacher I'm guessing :smile:

It depends on the podcast. A documentary on poverty can be very opinionated and biased, especially if it's written by one person heavily affected by it.

If you are doing yours on blood donors, you'd need to be unbiased and politically corrected as you are the face of the 'NHS' for the podcast. Just like a BBC reporter can't go live on air 'The BBC hates all conservatives'. You have to mold yourself to the role. If yours is about donation, you can't really give opinion. Just like if you did it on diabetes you couldn't say only 'fat' people get it as it's not true - it's an opinion. Imagine that this podcast is actually going to air - how would the public react to everything you say. In today's world, everything is scrutinised!

Then again this is your GCSE and the assessment is on your spoken language so this might be overkill! Brownie points for authenticity??
Reply 10
Thank you so much. Oh god, you saved me. Now I know how to make this look good and how to achieve the highest possible man.
You're legend,
thanks mate.
Thank you so much. Oh god, you saved me. Now I know how to make this look good and how to achieve the highest possible man.
You're legend,
thanks mate.

No prob. Anytime

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending