The Student Room Group

Advice with interview

I have an interview with ministry of justice which consists of a written exercise and competency question. Anyone who works for the ministry of justice or has been to any of their interviews would you be able to give me some helpful tips would be really grateful!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey,

that sounds exciting! Have a look at Milkround ultimate interview guide, it could be of some use to you:
http://advice.milkround.com/job-interview-guide

Here's some other articles that might help you out:

The 7 hardest interview questions of last year (and how to answer them)
http://advice.milkround.com/hardest-interview-questions

How to cope with non-traditional interview formats
http://advice.milkround.com/how-to-cope-with-non-traditional-interview-formats

Would love to hear how you get on after it's over. Best of luck!
Reply 2
I've not worked for the Ministry of Justice, but I have worked for the Home Office. I'd say the best prep you can do for the competency questions is to think of loads of examples that you are able to recite confidently. For example they may ask you: Can you think of a time when you've used your initiative; Can you think of a time when you had to deal with a difficult person; can you think of a time when a project you worked on failed; can you tell me about a time you solved a problem.

They will be looking for you to give them specific examples, and as you are explaining be prepared for them to probe you with additional questions. Prepare your examples so that they start with a sentence briefly explaining the purpose of what you had to do; then give some detail about what you did and finish with the result of what you did.

And lastly don't worry about it. The Ministry of Justice might sound scarily important, but it will be just like interviewing for any other private business.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for that information Lucy that's given me a good idea of what I need to prepare for. I'm worried about the written exercise that's what's really worrying me! I would really appreciate if someone could give me any tips on that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Can you expand a bit on the written exercise, and what they've asked you to do? And what area the role is in?
Original post by Legally_illegal
I have an interview with ministry of justice which consists of a written exercise and competency question. Anyone who works for the ministry of justice or has been to any of their interviews would you be able to give me some helpful tips would be really grateful!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

LucyDM4G has given a really good explanation of how to prepare for a civil service interview, but I would also add don't forget to demonstrate your enthusiasm for the role & civil service in general, so think about why the MJ/CS.
Original post by LucyDM4G
Can you expand a bit on the written exercise, and what they've asked you to do? And what area the role is in?

With the written exercise they haven't really said what it will be about the area is about policy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Thanks jelly1000 - completely agree - demonstrating enthusiasm and showing you are passionate about working for them is vital.
Reply 8
Original post by Legally_illegal
With the written exercise they haven't really said what it will be about the area is about policy

Posted from TSR Mobile

In that case I imagine they will be primarily assessing your written language skills. So make sure to leave enough time to check spelling, punctuation and grammar and maybe read up on common policy terms and issues on their website before the interview. Good luck!
Alright thanks Lucy you've been a great help!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending