The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Street Beggars- should we give them money?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sleepysnooze
ohh reaaaaaally. :lol:
okay then. tell me why these homeless people you worked with were homeless.
and even if it wasn't based on terrible life choices, they probably lied to you about the reasons they became homeless anyway

What is the point in me listing the reasons? You've already decided they were all lying! I actually feel a bit sorry for you, I don't think you are the full ticket!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KingLhasaApso
What is the point in me listing the reasons? You've already decided they were all lying! I actually feel a bit sorry for you, I don't think you are the full ticket!

Posted from TSR Mobile

exactly - you were never going to list the reasons anyway so why would you bother with this added factor now especially? :lol:
go on then - I'll take you seriously and forget about how they're lying - what did they "claim" caused their homelessness?
NO. I used to but all they buy is alcohol and cigarettes so I don't even give them money.
Original post by Lh030396
So, because you've had bad experiences with homeless people then that must mean that all of them are terrible people, right?

no, I was saying that it took until I had that experience to truly understand the logistics of becoming homeless. nice, sweet innocent people do not become homeless in this country.

Not all of the homeless are drug-addled and not all of them have made awful life choices.

I think you'll find, if you had done more research, that at least most of them are homeless because of drugs.

What about teenagers who have run away after facing years of dehumanising abuse in their own homes?

lmao that's a big "what if" isn't it. I think they'd get a sufficient amount of sympathy to garner helping hands.
I live in a city filled with homeless people and they're all toothless meth heads or alcohlics who actually think that people might think they actually have another problem lol

They can end up on the streets because they have nowhere else to turn to. Are they bad people for ending up in this situation??

again, that would be a massive minority of them. stop portraying homeless people as something that only a MINORITY of them are homeless for

Look, nobody is denying that there are bad homeless people.

hence why the vast majority of homeless people end up homeless.

There are bad people in all areas of society and across all walks of life. And nobody is denying that most homeless people are in the situation that they're in because of bad life choices. But you cannot say that they're all the same... that's just a LUDICROUS generalisation to make!!

I'm saying about 99% of them are all the same. how's that?

Everything is so black and white with you, isn't it? Something's either really bad or really good. It's great to be passionate about what you believe in, but there never seems to be any grey area where you're concerned. An odd way to look at life...

believe me, I'm a very nice and considerate person in real life. I've even given to homeless people a lot before I changed my perspective. I've just been through enough to know what is and what is not bull ****. and the claim that homeless people are homeless predominantly based on factors beyond their control is totally *******s. people who are moderately fine with life management and self-discipline are NOT homeless. unemployment and poverty is NOT a good enough excuse. you'll get benefits for that. if you don't straighten up, even our soft government will drop up. and hence, you get shoeless, sooty tramps begging in the streets because the state stopped giving to them, or they weren't able to continue mooching off of SOMEBODY.

I think your problem is that you're assuming that all minorities must be sizeable. that is not logical to assume. minorities can be ****ing tiny. for example, how many christians do you think live in pakistan? how many americans live in north korea? how many black people live in south korea? etc. so this assumption that the minority in the case of the homeless being nice people is just flat out wrong. you're looking at life with optimistic specs. not realist specs.
let's say I have more experience with this than you do. I know people who've become homeless, and I've known *exactly* why. and the "terrible, horrible" things homeless do to become homeless? it's partly happened to *me* from one of them.

so don't be so naive about the existence of homelessness in the UK in 2017. you think people like me are like this because we're horrible? no. we're like this because we know better.

So because you know a few example cases you generalize to all homeless?
Thank you for establishing that you think that I have a problem. I think that YOUR problem is that YOU believe that just because homeless drug addicts are a MAJORITY it gives you the right to say that ALL of them are like that. It doesn't because it is not factually incorrect. So what if the good people are in the minority. They should still be recognised!!

you have no basis on which to base that. whereas there are studies out there that actually confirm that most homeless people are homeless for BAD reasons. so, again, it's funny how you're trying to lecture *me* when you don't even know about this basic ****

Oh, and your example about the lack of Americans in North Korea is frankly ridiculous. You can't compare Americans being denied access into a rogue state to the majority of homeless people being horrible drug addicts. The situations are completely different!!

I don't care if you think my example is ridiculous - I didn't use that example purely based on the context of how getting into NK as an american is difficult - I compared it to the homeless situation via NUMBERS.
No, no we should not. We live in a capitalist society - if they want money then they can earn it themselves, they're getting nothing from old Len.
What studies prove your points? How could you possible measure that the majority of homelessness people are despicable??

well there are studies confffirming that most homeless people are homeless because of substance abuse (here, let me get that link for you your highness:smile:
http://www.nationalhomeless.org/factsheets/addiction.pdf

and like I said, it is LOGICAL to make that conclusion. no good, hard working, respectable, self-discplined individual becomes homeless. it's a matter of logical deduction. if you are a horrid person in life, i.e. a thief, and you are very poor, then you won't have the friends or family that will help you through hard times nor will you have the resources. what is wrong with this statement? my father was unemployed for years before he got his job at the moment - why didn't he become homeless then? could it be because...he was responsible and saved up money instead of being reckless with his finances? that's the difference between the homeless and the responsible - the homeless simply have no sense of responsibility. they are purely hedonistic and too stupid to thin about the long term future. their drug addictions AND their homelessness are symptomatic of the same exact thing - their pure lack of responsibility (along with their brutality towards others)
(edited 7 years ago)
What studies prove your points? How could you possible measure that the majority of homeless people are despicable?? Also, why are you so damn aggressive?? Are you autistic or something?

That's not on, as someone who actually has aspergers, the "aggressive in conversation" thing is a massive generalisation, that's just as bad as using a racial insult, you're using a genuine disability that no one chooses to have as an insult, I'm incredibly offended...

Also, with regard to OP, personally I aim to give to beggars where possible, but if I suspect that one looks shady or may have a substance abuse problem, I usually refrain as that's doing more harm than good.
let's say I have more experience with this than you do. I know people who've become homeless, and I've known *exactly* why. and the "terrible, horrible" things homeless do to become homeless? it's partly happened to *me* from one of them.

so don't be so naive about the existence of homelessness in the UK in 2017. you think people like me are like this because we're horrible? no. we're like this because we know better.

Just because they were terrible before becoming homeless doesn't mean they still are. I'm pretty sure most of them regret the choices they made and understand how grateful they were.
I don't. I will donate to a homeless charity or someone such as Crisis at Christmas. I feel giving to beggars may fuel an addiction instead of the money helping with shelter and food.
Original post by Roxy1331
Just because they were terrible before becoming homeless doesn't mean they still are. I'm pretty sure most of them regret the choices they made and understand how grateful they were.

when you're older you'll understand that people generally don't change.
I can't believe what I'm reading on TSR at times.

A shocking lack of empathy on here and in Britain.
when you're older you'll understand that people generally don't change.

But experiencing something like homelessness can go a long way.

You don't think those on drugs regret taking them in the first place?
Well not exactly. I;ve done money for 'favours' before. That's about it. They have to earn it one way or another.

And I don;t give alot either because you need to factor in the cost for a hotel...
Original post by student1856
I gave a homeless guy in Oxford a £5 note after he asked for 20p to buy a cup of tea. I was in a good mood and it was christmas time, so why not? Then he had the cheek to say "you got any more change". After giving him 25 times what he originally asked for I finally understood what this guy felt like

true story btw...

Yes exactly - it's all take, take, take with the homeless. Once you give them something they still keep on grovelling for more.
Original post by Roxy1331
But experiencing something like homelessness can go a long way.

You don't think those on drugs regret taking them in the first place?

it's not just the drugs
it's things like being a manipulative person to the point where everybody walks out on you
that's when an addiction becomes a serious problem
I don't know sleepy myself been autistic I kind of have no friends and have not always held down jobs well due to office politics and the likes.

I actually once came really close to homelessness and had a big win which kind of made that not a worry for at least a few years.

These days despite having a healthy bank balance I do worry if some point in the future I am unemployed what happens. I can always keep myself afloat with poker and my family now have money so it's not an issue but I know I came close once.

I have also read that 50% of homeless people had tbi at some point.

Ive seen homeless people have some real bad experiences. I actually came very close to getting in a fight to protect a homeless girl before.

Some guy went to a cash machine and withdrew £200 or so he said and then tried to offer it to a homeless girl for sex she refused because she said she still had dignity. As far as that guy was concerned if she was homeless she should do whatever she can for money and this he has a right to demand this. I could see he was physically intimidating and felt it was likely he would attack so I stood a metre or two away observing ready to jump in if he dared and then her blanket rose a big dogs head emerged and barked and the guy backed off fast.

Had that dog not been their I believe she might have been raped. I mean like I said I was ready to jump in to defend her but I'm not a tough fighter so I'd likely be dead as well.

I mean she was ok but no one should have to endure that. Also homeless people regularly get attacked and degraded.

I'd agree in most cases they are likely their due to poor life choices and etc but to just write them off as horrible people seems kind of harsh.

It's not niceness that decides if people like you it's social skills.
Original post by Len Goodman
No, no we should not. We live in a capitalist society - if they want money then they can earn it themselves, they're getting nothing from old Len.

Capitalism precludes neither charity, nor social security.
I never give money to street beggars unless they are offical like the salvation army, There was this old man that was 90 who I would always see in his wheelchair collecting, on a rainy day I got him a coffee and he discussed his time in the war, I am ok for things like this but I will not give any money to the homeless. I once did give a homeless guy a big platter of food that I could not finish and I knew that It could not be used to buy drugs and He was happy.

I already do my part for charity but I do not give money to Beggars in most circumstances

Latest

Trending

Trending