The Student Room Group

Help meee

I really want to go into a medical school or become a dentist as it's always been my dream. However, I definitely know I want to pick Biology and Chemistry as I've done pretty well in those subjects (both A*) and feel confident in them. I was unsure what to pick for my third as my dad wants me to pick maths; the only subject I don't do very well on as I only get Bs. My my mum's encouraging me to pick physics which I don't necessarily mind; it's just that I'm afraid if it'll have lots of maths in it and I'll struggle. I wanted to pick either History or combined English but I'm not sure if I'll get into medical school with those a levels. Can you guys help :smile:
Im applying for medicine this year
i don't think medical schools care about what you have as your third choice as long as you did well, i did design technology as one of my subjects and i have been offered interviews
i suggest only do subjects you are comfortable in
Original post by CrystalSalvatore
Im applying for medicine this year
i don't think medical schools care about what you have as your third choice as long as you did well, i did design technology as one of my subjects and i have been offered interviews
i suggest only do subjects you are comfortable in

Thanks so much:smile: Would you say the subjects that you picked were really hard?
Never take something just because your parent wants you too. Respect their opinion but it's best you ignore it: taking what you enjoy/what you're good at is best. You mentioned history or English Literature. I would recommend English Literature - it's easier than History examwise and content wise. I love it personally. They don't mind what you take as your 3rd, Chemistry and another science are favoured - but that's the basis of it. Taking maths isn't really necessary. It may be a common combination but you don't need it, especially if you got a good grade in GCSE maths.
Original post by rosie.mn
Never take something just because your parent wants you too. Respect their opinion but it's best you ignore it: taking what you enjoy/what you're good at is best. You mentioned history or English Literature. I would recommend English Literature - it's easier than History examwise and content wise. I love it personally. They don't mind what you take as your 3rd, Chemistry and another science are favoured - but that's the basis of it. Taking maths isn't really necessary. It may be a common combination but you don't need it, especially if you got a good grade in GCSE maths.

Thank youu:smile: I'll take their opinions into consideration and I might finally choose my third subject!
I also want to go into dentistry and I'm in the first year of sixth form taking chem, bio, maths and psychology.
Maths is a good subject to do but I would definitely only do it if you like the subject and think you are confident enough. However, I don't think maths is necessary even though a lot of people applying for medicine do take it. I would make sure you are completely happy when picking another subject and never take something that parents want you to do. I am taking psychology because it is regarded as a science subject and it isn't too difficult. Also physics contains a lot of maths and I know people who take it without taking maths at a level and they say its fine but a large chunk of the exam is maths so you just need to be comfortable doing it.
the only one i find tricky at the moment is chemistry but only because there is a lot to learn ( its the same in others but its harder to remember )
Original post by salmamahmoud
Thanks so much:smile: Would you say the subjects that you picked were really hard?
Original post by evieee2435
I also want to go into dentistry and I'm in the first year of sixth form taking chem, bio, maths and psychology.
Maths is a good subject to do but I would definitely only do it if you like the subject and think you are confident enough. However, I don't think maths is necessary even though a lot of people applying for medicine do take it. I would make sure you are completely happy when picking another subject and never take something that parents want you to do. I am taking psychology because it is regarded as a science subject and it isn't too difficult. Also physics contains a lot of maths and I know people who take it without taking maths at a level and they say its fine but a large chunk of the exam is maths so you just need to be comfortable doing it.

Thanks for your reply:smile: Would you mind to tell me what psychology is about as I was always interested in the subject.
The things im learning in psychology are:
Social influence: like people going with the majority opinion and ways people are influences etc. The major studies that I've learnt is Asch's line study, Zimbardo's prison study and Milgram's obedience study. This was quite an interesting part of the course.
Approaches in psychology: All about the origins and different approaches. This was a bit more boring because it was more sciency but also because it was more difficult to learn because of all the different approaches.
I am learning attachment currently and that involves things like babies attaching to mothers as well as looking at animals. A lot of studies in this bit.
Also currently I'm learning about memory.
Sorry I'm not good at explaining but I hope this helps a bit :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest