The Student Room Group

Unsuccessful application to Bristol - No Feedback/Reason Why

So I'm actually a bit gutted about this :frown:

Although I want to study in Ireland, I'd applied to Bristol, Edinburgh, Greenwich, Glasgow and Stirling.

I've got a conditional offer for Greenwich for Politics and International Relations and an unconditional offer for Stirling for politics so far.

I'm doing 4 A Levels, but due to my health 3 are resits and 1 I am sitting in a year and I am teaching myself at home, so my school couldn't provide me with predicted grades for Sociology which I'm doing in a year.

I haven't had any feedback through UCAS or any emails from Bristol yet as to why I was unsuccessful, even though the uni says on the website they will contact you if you're unsuccessful. I've not had an email from Bristol yet, so have no idea as to why I've been unsuccessful.
I'm guessing it's because my predicted grades weren't high enough, even though they weren't updated, but I also didn't know you could apply for extenuating circumstances for Bristol as it's what I should have done. Too late now, as my admission won't be considered any further and I can't reapply as far as I'm aware this year.

I wouldn't have been surprised if it was Edinburgh, but just feel a bit :frown: now.
I need to get AABD minimum to get the points for the courses I want in Ireland (aiming for UCD or Cork once I can get the form done without it logging me out) but don't have predicted grades that reflect that as I missed a lot of school due to chronic fatigue last year, as well as having to drop out of tech this year. Not sure I'd even be able to appeal Bristol's decision either sadly.
Original post by remarius

Although I want to study in Ireland, I'd applied to Bristol, Edinburgh, Greenwich, Glasgow and Stirling.

I've got a conditional offer for Greenwich for Politics and International Relations and an unconditional offer for Stirling for politics so far.

I'm doing 4 A Levels, but due to my health 3 are resits and 1 I am sitting in a year and I am teaching myself at home, so my school couldn't provide me with predicted grades for Sociology which I'm doing in a year.

I haven't had any feedback through UCAS or any emails from Bristol yet as to why I was unsuccessful, even though the uni says on the website they will contact you if you're unsuccessful. I've not had an email from Bristol yet, so have no idea as to why I've been unsuccessful.
I'm guessing it's because my predicted grades weren't high enough, even though they weren't updated, but I also didn't know you could apply for extenuating circumstances for Bristol as it's what I should have done. Too late now, as my admission won't be considered any further and I can't reapply as far as I'm aware this year.

I wouldn't have been surprised if it was Edinburgh, but just feel a bit :frown: now.
I need to get AABD minimum to get the points for the courses I want in Ireland (aiming for UCD or Cork once I can get the form done without it logging me out) but don't have predicted grades that reflect that as I missed a lot of school due to chronic fatigue last year, as well as having to drop out of tech this year. Not sure I'd even be able to appeal Bristol's decision either sadly.

Unfortunately every university takes extenuating circumstances differently so it could be part of why they didn't accept your application as you didn't apply for them, also the lack of predicted grade for a new subject could have made a difference. Generally there won't be an appeals system in place,sorry

Think you've answered this yourself. If you didn't explain extenuating circumstances, that's your fault. As far as Bristol are concerned, rejecting you would be standard as in their eyes without ECs you're simply an under-acheiver.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Obiejess
Think you've answered this yourself. If you didn't explain extenuating circumstances, that's your fault. As far as Bristol are concerned, rejecting you would be standard as in their eyes without ECs you're simply an under-acheiver.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wasn't made aware you could apply for them, I'd included in my application through UCAS about my disabilities, but unfortunately UCAS doesn't work like CAO in that it doesn't have something in place like DARE and Bristol state on their website if the person writing your reference feels you should apply they should let you know.

Had I had known, it would have been a different story. I don't have a predicted grade for my 4th A Level. I might try emailing them, as I don't know why I have been unsuccessful as they haven't actually sent me any email directly, I only know through UCAS tracking.
Reply 4

Have you actually contacted Bristol direct and asked for feedback, and/or made them aware of your extenuating circumstances. If not, do so tomorrow. Call them, and then follow-up with an email.

Info on extenuating circumstances at Bristol:
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/applicants/applied/extenuating-circumstances/

Feedback and complaints
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/university/governance/policies/admissions/feedback-complaints.html

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
I wasn't made aware you could apply for them, I'd included in my application through UCAS about my disabilities, but unfortunately UCAS doesn't work like CAO in that it doesn't have something in place like DARE and Bristol state on their website if the person writing your reference feels you should apply they should let you know.

Had I had known, it would have been a different story. I don't have a predicted grade for my 4th A Level. I might try emailing them, as I don't know why I have been unsuccessful as they haven't actually sent me any email directly, I only know through UCAS tracking.

Some basic research would have highlighted this I imagine. You can email, but with a lot of other applications to deal with and you being predicted to miss their offer it may perhaps be more prudent to ask for feedback and reapply if you achieve the entry requirements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Some basic research would have highlighted this I imagine. You can email, but with a lot of other applications to deal with and you being predicted to miss their offer it may perhaps be more prudent to ask for feedback and reapply if you achieve the entry requirements.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Basic research was done, however I've also had to try and sort out a language exemption for NUI as well as get all my other disability statements/proof together for DARE, and so finding links and forms about that sort of stuff that isn't on the course requirements/front page wasn't a priority and overlooked. My bad, and yes it happens, but if UCAS had a system like DARE where you make one application to it and most uni's will accept it, it would make life a lot easier.

I am going to ask for feedback and go from there. I applied for Politics and International Relations, and I don't know how competitive that is, but I have yet to hear why and if it's something to do with the course being full, my grades or even my personal statement. I still find it strange that I managed to get an unconditional for Stirling with 3 predicted grades for resits and 1 with no grade/reference at all due to having to drop out of college. If anything, it's making me tempted to contact Glasgow and Edinburgh as well to speak to them about the fact that due to my health I have no predicted Sociology grade as I had to drop out of college.
Basic research was done, however I've also had to try and sort out a language exemption for NUI as well as get all my other disability statements/proof together for DARE, and so finding links and forms about that sort of stuff that isn't on the course requirements/front page wasn't a priority and overlooked. My bad, and yes it happens, but if UCAS had a system like DARE where you make one application to it and most uni's will accept it, it would make life a lot easier.

I am going to ask for feedback and go from there. I applied for Politics and International Relations, and I don't know how competitive that is, but I have yet to hear why and if it's something to do with the course being full, my grades or even my personal statement. I still find it strange that I managed to get an unconditional for Stirling with 3 predicted grades for resits and 1 with no grade/reference at all due to having to drop out of college. If anything, it's making me tempted to contact Glasgow and Edinburgh as well to speak to them about the fact that due to my health I have no predicted Sociology grade as I had to drop out of college.

Because Stirling is a worse university with lower quality applicants and is therefore more likely to be lenient. Contacting your other universities might be a good idea, but also possibly too late.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by jneill
Have you actually contacted Bristol direct and asked for feedback, and/or made them aware of your extenuating circumstances. If not, do so tomorrow. Call them, and then follow-up with an email.

Info on extenuating circumstances at Bristol:
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/applicants/applied/extenuating-circumstances/

Feedback and complaints
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/university/governance/policies/admissions/feedback-complaints.html

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I haven't yet. They said on their website they will contact you once a decision has been made, but I have yet to receive anything.

It also says once an application is unsuccessful, they won't consider extenuating circumstances so it will depend on the feedback as to why.

Makes me regret not choosing Cardiff, as whilst I do have an unconditional offer for Stirling, I'm not 100% sure I want to go there as it was always a backup option :frown:

Bristol accepts resits for Politics and IR. So its obviously not this that was the reason you were rejected.....

You need to check with your school what they actually predicted you. And that your resits were actually entered on your application not just your original grades.
Reply 10
Because Stirling is a worse university with lower quality applicants and is therefore more likely to be lenient. Contacting your other universities might be a good idea, but also possibly too late.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have a conditional offer for Greenwich too, and have yet to hear from Glasgow and Edinburgh however as UCAS is still open for applications can't see why contacting them will be an issue.

For the course I want to do at UCD, they took minimum 330 points last year, which is actually BCC. UCC want 340 for the Government BSc, which actually means I would need BBC (360 points), Galway took from minimum 300 points (CCC) and that's not including my 4th A Level.
So as bad as you think Stirling are, their grade requirements are actually better, if not the same, as UCC, Galway and UCD.

I've had no problems contacting UCD, and as I'm applying through DARE and have applied for the NUI exemption, I should be fine for Ireland at least and the universities that are part of the NUI system and use DARE (Galway, Cork, UCD all do, I'm not sure on Trinity but then I don't want to go to Trinity) which is some relief.

As I've yet to know why Bristol have rejected me, it's hard to say Sterling were just lenient towards me when I don't know why they have even rejected me yet.
Reply 11
Original post by returnmigrant
Bristol accepts resits for Politics and IR. So its obviously not this that was the reason you were rejected.....

You need to check with your school what they actually predicted you. And that your resits were actually entered on your application not just your original grades.

I'll get in contact with the school and see what they say as well regarding resits and predicted grades. They weren't given like normal potential grades as I missed a lot of school due to my health and didn't apply through UCAS last year, but needed them to try and apply to LUC in The Hague so they were predicted later on in the school year. I can't remember if they just gave me what LUC said I would need to get in as predicted grades (who then changed their tune - but that's a different story and I am not reapplying to them as they messed me around) or if they gave me very accurate ones.

I'll also check that my resits were put into my UCAS application properly, I have to update the exam centre bit so I wonder if because I had to get it changed to an independent application I've messed it up somewhere.
Hello!

The same thing happened with one of my friends to Cardiff University, and unfortunately she was met with them saying she wont receive formal feedback until June. If this is the first place you've heard back from, I'd recommend calling up your other universities and checking if they have a similar form to Bristol, as it might help.
I have a conditional offer for Greenwich too, and have yet to hear from Glasgow and Edinburgh however as UCAS is still open for applications can't see why contacting them will be an issue.

For the course I want to do at UCD, they took minimum 330 points last year, which is actually BCC. UCC want 340 for the Government BSc, which actually means I would need BBC (360 points), Galway took from minimum 300 points (CCC) and that's not including my 4th A Level.
So as bad as you think Stirling are, their grade requirements are actually better, if not the same, as UCC, Galway and UCD.

I've had no problems contacting UCD, and as I'm applying through DARE and have applied for the NUI exemption, I should be fine for Ireland at least and the universities that are part of the NUI system and use DARE (Galway, Cork, UCD all do, I'm not sure on Trinity but then I don't want to go to Trinity) which is some relief.

As I've yet to know why Bristol have rejected me, it's hard to say Sterling were just lenient towards me when I don't know why they have even rejected me yet.

I'm not saying they're bad, I'm saying they are worse than Bristol. Which is obviously true.

Thus, it's a possibility that Stirling would be more flexible with entry requirements. I know this to be true for many of my peers, where generally poor universities ask for ABB but take people with BCC or below.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending