The Student Room Group

How do you cope with grief?

State your method and your gender.

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

Female. Idk I still cry sometimes.
cry
Reply 3
Listen to music, go to the gym, eat a lot....
Gym. Lifting heavy sh!t takes the anger out.

Also video games. Preferably violent shooters like Max Payne/Gears for the same reason.
cry, get it all out until you are over it
initially - badly, cry, mope, don't eat much

then I try and keep busy, exercise etc and focus on good memories

I once lost someone I felt that I'd really failed to make an effort to spend time with (and had no good reasons for it) so I try and make sure my loved ones know I appreciate and care about it so I won't ever have to feel like that again

tbh talking a lot doesn't help me... grief isn't a problem you can solve by talking, I think initially it can help to vent some feelings but at some point ruminating stops being helpful and what you need to do is keep living your life and gain some control over your thought - if you feel sad then try and think positive things about the person
Reply 7
Cry, want to be alone, sometimes I get aggressive - never physically agressive at people but I do say some horrible things sometimes and I have smashed/broke things, try and sleep as much as I can, go over and over what happened in my head and try and blame myself for it even if I had no control over it. I'm not good with dealing with negative emotions, especially grief.
Male

Listen to music and play games.
Original post by l'etranger

Spoiler

lol basically everyone ignored your instructions because they're so eager to talk about themselves. Couldn't even pay attention to the OP :lol:
Female: Exercise {mostly stretches}, contemporary dance (when I'm calm enough), stop eating, music and crying. 👌🏼
(edited 7 years ago)

Spoiler

Out of interest how have you coped? How many close family have you lost? Sibling or parent?
Reply 12
Original post by 999tigger
Out of interest how have you coped? How many close family have you lost? Sibling or parent?

Grandparents, when I was small I cried, after about the age of 16 have never cried, just console my mama and carry on.
Grandparents, when I was small I cried, after about the age of 16 have never cried, just console my mama and carry on.

When youve lost a sibling or parent, then you can come and explain where we are all going wrong.
Male

I tend to think about it and move on, I dont forget it but I know that there is no point having greif.
Obviously If it is something that I can rectify or change I will think of how to best go about it. But for things like death I just move on But as a person I am pretty Stoic, sometimes this is a good things other times it is hard
Reply 15
Original post by 999tigger
When youve lost a sibling or parent, then you can come and explain where we are all going wrong.

I wasn't talking specifically about loss of loved ones which is one of the worst things people experience, but something which everyone experiences, I generally meant day to day nonsense like breakups, exams, stuff which isn't that deep.
Reply 16
Female
I'd cry when it all got too much to keep it held together and I talk to one of my close friends who just listened to me, I'd feel better once we'd talked, hope you're okay :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by xFFDPx
Female
I'd cry when it all got too much to keep it held together and I talk to one of my close friends who just listened to me, I'd feel better once we'd talked, hope you're okay :smile:

Believe me I am fine, I was curious as to the differences between men and women, appreciate your response.
female
If it's in anger then I practice martial arts (takes anger out)
If it's in stress then I go for an hour run in the nearby woodlands and listen to calm music
I don't cope with it. I wallow in self pity.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending