The Student Room Group

Students asking For Teachers Snapchat/Insta - My Experience of Teaching so far...

I thought I'd give my point of view of how it has been. Normally we tend to see (obviously) see student's views of teachers on this site. I'm a male teaching 11-16.

The first thing I'll say, even as a maths teacher, its bloomin hard work. Getting everything together, lesson planning marking targets paperwork wow.

The first weird thing was walking into the school's staff room. Teachers to me have always seemed very protective of their staff room. It is different, I still feel like a student and it felt strange sitting next to "proper" teachers. The second thing that caught me was that teachers, probably just a few, actually swear. I was a bit shocked the first time I heard this but then I have briefly worked in a corporate environment where they swear non stop.

Some of the teachers treat me like a student. I can't pin point what exactly, but its the tone of voice or just general speak, they do treat me like one.

I was mistaken for a student quite a few times so far. It is embarrassing at times as it really undermines my authority in front of the students. I even got shouted at once because one teacher thought I was "bunking" lesson - I didn't know how to react to that.

By far the most common questions I get asked is how old are you, whats your instagram and can I have your snapchat. I don't answer any of these questions because I want to keep a distance between myself and the students. I would never even dream of wanting any of my teacher's social media, male or female so I don't understand why that is such a common question to me. I always say no, and they say they will find it, but of course they can't find something which doesn't exist.

I find students swearing in front of me happening a lot. They will use swear words when having completely normal conversations with me, not in a rude way, but in a way say you would swear in front of your friends. My colleagues told me that I have to give detention for every time I hear a student swearing but honestly if I done that I would be giving out 50 detentions a week.

When students see me, they always stop to say hello, and I don't think the other teachers like that. For me, I don't mind interacting with students as long as they are doing the work in my lessons. My lessons are very engaging (maths can be amazingly fun you know) and I have a easy going atmosphere but they know if they don't do the required work I will absolutely flip, but they do the work and I'm happy on that front. I think the other teachers have a problem with me being a "popular" teacher.

I noticed at the start girls giggling in my lessons but I stopped that pretty quick by going up to them and talking about the work. Boring them to death basically.

I work hard, so I do less at home I often spend my break or lunches working through.

Some of the students address me as 'oi man' not in a angry or rude way per say, but Sir is the appropriate way I would have thought.

I will give another example, I was walking by and I noticed a class had not settled. I asked a year 10 girl nearby how come this class isn't settled, and she replied to me 'its coz of them d*******s', I was pretty shocked that she would use that sort of language with me so naturally.

So with all the usual problems, I seem to be having extra problems. I am happy that my students are working for me and have improved their attainments but I think a more formal approach would be more suitable from them.
Does the school not have a social media policy? As in they tell you you're not supposed to acknowledge student FRs and have to report them, and they tell the students they can't make them.
is growing a beard going to be an option?
Sounds like a typical state school in London then :lol:
Some weird school, this is.
Move schools. Some schools management can be better. And I don't get why the teachers don't like you chatting to students in the hallway. It's nice to know the students like you. And the social media thing will always happen and you're not allowed to add your students on social media - you have to keep a professional relationship and distance like you said.
Reply 6
yes obviously this school isn't a perfect private school.

I want to do well here because the kids need someone with motivation and someone who perhaps understands these kids better than other teachers.
Reply 7
Original post by samina_ay
Move schools. Some schools management can be better. And I don't get why the teachers don't like you chatting to students in the hallway. It's nice to know the students like you. And the social media thing will always happen and you're not allowed to add your students on social media - you have to keep a professional relationship and distance like you said.

Wait,

Does me being on this site cause problems?

Technically my students could be on this site??
Original post by The_Hunted
Wait,

Does me being on this site cause problems?

Technically my students could be on this site??

It's completely fine - you've got no picture up or name.
Reply 9
I thought I'd give my point of view of how it has been. Normally we tend to see (obviously) see student's views of teachers on this site. I'm a male teaching 11-16.

The first thing I'll say, even as a maths teacher, its bloomin hard work. Getting everything together, lesson planning marking targets paperwork wow.

The first weird thing was walking into the school's staff room. Teachers to me have always seemed very protective of their staff room. It is different, I still feel like a student and it felt strange sitting next to "proper" teachers. The second thing that caught me was that teachers, probably just a few, actually swear. I was a bit shocked the first time I heard this but then I have briefly worked in a corporate environment where they swear non stop.

Some of the teachers treat me like a student. I can't pin point what exactly, but its the tone of voice or just general speak, they do treat me like one.

I was mistaken for a student quite a few times so far. It is embarrassing at times as it really undermines my authority in front of the students. I even got shouted at once because one teacher thought I was "bunking" lesson - I didn't know how to react to that.

By far the most common questions I get asked is how old are you, whats your instagram and can I have your snapchat. I don't answer any of these questions because I want to keep a distance between myself and the students. I would never even dream of wanting any of my teacher's social media, male or female so I don't understand why that is such a common question to me. I always say no, and they say they will find it, but of course they can't find something which doesn't exist.

I find students swearing in front of me happening a lot. They will use swear words when having completely normal conversations with me, not in a rude way, but in a way say you would swear in front of your friends. My colleagues told me that I have to give detention for every time I hear a student swearing but honestly if I done that I would be giving out 50 detentions a week.

When students see me, they always stop to say hello, and I don't think the other teachers like that. For me, I don't mind interacting with students as long as they are doing the work in my lessons. My lessons are very engaging (maths can be amazingly fun you know) and I have a easy going atmosphere but they know if they don't do the required work I will absolutely flip, but they do the work and I'm happy on that front. I think the other teachers have a problem with me being a "popular" teacher.

I noticed at the start girls giggling in my lessons but I stopped that pretty quick by going up to them and talking about the work. Boring them to death basically.

I work hard, so I do less at home I often spend my break or lunches working through.

Some of the students address me as 'oi man' not in a angry or rude way per say, but Sir is the appropriate way I would have thought.

I will give another example, I was walking by and I noticed a class had not settled. I asked a year 10 girl nearby how come this class isn't settled, and she replied to me 'its coz of them d*******s', I was pretty shocked that she would use that sort of language with me so naturally.

So with all the usual problems, I seem to be having extra problems. I am happy that my students are working for me and have improved their attainments but I think a more formal approach would be more suitable from them.

Well I'm a student - well I just left high school so first year at uni so I can't help you from another teacher point of view

First of all I've met multiple teachers who swear in front of us students, they don't appreciate it in the classroom but if you swear in normal conversation and you're like over 14ish they don't seem to care. Depends on the individual teacher tho. Our school was Outstanding by Ofsted standards.

Secondly, does your school not have teacher badges/ lanyards? Because if they don't that is very strange. Also do they not have a uniform? Maybe try and dress in colours different to the uniform? For example wear brown shoes, if the uniform is blue wear black trousers, if kids don't wear ties wear a tie or a different coloured tie to distinguish yourself.

Don't answer the questions lol isn't that against some law to have a personal connection with your students like giving them your number or something. They could probably look you up so private your social media. The reason they ask you these things is it's probably a dare or they're giggly little hormonal teenage girls who have crushes on you lmao. These crushes can get crazy let me tell you I have friends who had crushes on teachers or technicians and they used to stalk them some of the way home or on social media so beware and make sure you tell a colleague if you suspect lol.

Be glad you're a popular teacher and they like you. They'll do better in your lessons and feel bad if they don't do your homework. They'll also feel more comfortable going to you if they have a problem. Some of them can try to take advantage of you tho so make sure you know when to put your foot down and where to draw lines.

Again - since you're 'safe' by student standards - i.e. they like you, you're young, you make lessons fun, they can trust you not to get the head of year as soon as they slip up on some tiny thing, they're gonna treat you as one of their own and that makes them comfortable enough to swear or be informal infront of you. If you don't like that, do point it out when they do. For example if some girls are giggling say "do you want to share what's funny so we can all laugh?" or if they address you as "oi sir" say "sorry?" or "pardon?" and they'll correct themselves. If they swear infront of you say something like "language!" it will shut them down and make them realise that they're in school and you're a teacher not a student.

I've had many teachers like this and that's some of the things they did to 'correct things' haha

They speak with you like that because they donot respect you. They will continue to push boundaries because you let them. You need to maintain healthy and professional reltionships with students at all times. This is actually worrying. Are you an NQT? Or still training?

You;re probably young and an attractive guy, so you need to be careful. Working in a school, perception s everything, it;s key. The way students perceive you especially, as you probably alreayd know, can make or break a class. I would recommend withdrawing yourself from too many close or casual relationships with kids.

I find it hard to believe that you are coping fine in classes with this sort of dynamics? Are you still training or do you have a full timetable?

speaking as a girl in yr 11, we swear/tend to be informal with the teachers we like and respect (the irony!). asking for SC is a compliment in some form. but judging from how ur students act ,they really like you and u sound like an alright teacher!
but if u really wanna be called sir, put a strict rule in place and as your students seem to like u, im sure theyd oblige.
You got mistaken for a student? How the hell? Do the students not wear uniforms?
Reply 13
Original post by Carthaginian
You got mistaken for a student? How the hell? Do the students not wear uniforms?

Yes the students wear uniforms, I come in a suit. I think suit looks professional for work.

The funniest one was I was wearing a red tie one day at the start and a teacher went to another teacher and asked who was the new student in the red tie.

But in terms of being mistaken for student, I don't think it will last too long. As nice as it is (in some ways), aging is a scientific process we can't stop so it won't last too long I would think.
Reply 14
Original post by AfricanPrinceXI
They speak with you like that because they donot respect you. They will continue to push boundaries because you let them. You need to maintain healthy and professional reltionships with students at all times. This is actually worrying. Are you an NQT? Or still training?

You;re probably young and an attractive guy, so you need to be careful. Working in a school, perception s everything, it;s key. The way students perceive you especially, as you probably alreayd know, can make or break a class. I would recommend withdrawing yourself from too many close or casual relationships with kids.

I find it hard to believe that you are coping fine in classes with this sort of dynamics? Are you still training or do you have a full timetable?

Lol part in bold makes it sound so dodgy. No I don't have any close relationships with kids, especially the students in my school. And I certainly don't intend to.

You're a nonce mate
Yes the students wear uniforms, I come in a suit. I think suit looks professional for work.

The funniest one was I was wearing a red tie one day at the start and a teacher went to another teacher and asked who was the new student in the red tie.

But in terms of being mistaken for student, I don't think it will last too long. As nice as it is (in some ways), aging is a scientific process we can't stop so it won't last too long I would think.

Do you look young? Try growing a beard, then everyone will think you're much older.
Reply 17
Original post by z33
Well I'm a student - well I just left high school so first year at uni so I can't help you from another teacher point of view

First of all I've met multiple teachers who swear in front of us students, they don't appreciate it in the classroom but if you swear in normal conversation and you're like over 14ish they don't seem to care. Depends on the individual teacher tho. Our school was Outstanding by Ofsted standards.

Secondly, does your school not have teacher badges/ lanyards? Because if they don't that is very strange. Also do they not have a uniform? Maybe try and dress in colours different to the uniform? For example wear brown shoes, if the uniform is blue wear black trousers, if kids don't wear ties wear a tie or a different coloured tie to distinguish yourself.

Don't answer the questions lol isn't that against some law to have a personal connection with your students like giving them your number or something. They could probably look you up so private your social media. The reason they ask you these things is it's probably a dare or they're giggly little hormonal teenage girls who have crushes on you lmao. These crushes can get crazy let me tell you I have friends who had crushes on teachers or technicians and they used to stalk them some of the way home or on social media so beware and make sure you tell a colleague if you suspect lol.

Be glad you're a popular teacher and they like you. They'll do better in your lessons and feel bad if they don't do your homework. They'll also feel more comfortable going to you if they have a problem. Some of them can try to take advantage of you tho so make sure you know when to put your foot down and where to draw lines.

Again - since you're 'safe' by student standards - i.e. they like you, you're young, you make lessons fun, they can trust you not to get the head of year as soon as they slip up on some tiny thing, they're gonna treat you as one of their own and that makes them comfortable enough to swear or be informal infront of you. If you don't like that, do point it out when they do. For example if some girls are giggling say "do you want to share what's funny so we can all laugh?" or if they address you as "oi sir" say "sorry?" or "pardon?" and they'll correct themselves. If they swear infront of you say something like "language!" it will shut them down and make them realise that they're in school and you're a teacher not a student.

I've had many teachers like this and that's some of the things they did to 'correct things' haha

Yes we do wear lanyards, we have to wear it all times, something to do with safeguarding.

Bit concerned with part in bold. Not the sort of thing I want to hear. I mean yeah I was also in school just a few years ago, me and my mates would actively discuss who we thought was the fittest teacher (wow how things change huh), but we wouldn't stalk them or anything.

The thing is I don't necessarily care about popular or not, I think maybe growing up in a similar generation may have something to do with it or not. But my whole thing is they have to do the work in lesson.

I get a lot of cheers and greetings from so many students if I walk through the playground. My mentality is as long as my students are doing well in lesson, then the school should be happy but it just seems the senior teachers really dislike that students get on with me. Obviously they don't hear the type of conversations I have with them, I tell them about dangers of drugs, excessive alcohol consumption, NOT to be a roadman etc
Reply 18
Original post by Carthaginian
Do you look young? Try growing a beard, then everyone will think you're much older.

I don't know.

Sometimes I get asked for ID, sometimes I don't. I couldn't buy GTA because I didn't have ID.
Reply 19
Yes we do wear lanyards, we have to wear it all times, something to do with safeguarding.

Bit concerned with part in bold. Not the sort of thing I want to hear. I mean yeah I was also in school just a few years ago, me and my mates would actively discuss who we thought was the fittest teacher (wow how things change huh), but we wouldn't stalk them or anything.

The thing is I don't necessarily care about popular or not, I think maybe growing up in a similar generation may have something to do with it or not. But my whole thing is they have to do the work in lesson.

I get a lot of cheers and greetings from so many students if I walk through the playground. My mentality is as long as my students are doing well in lesson, then the school should be happy but it just seems the senior teachers really dislike that students get on with me. Obviously they don't hear the type of conversations I have with them, I tell them about dangers of drugs, excessive alcohol consumption, NOT to be a roadman etc

Weird how you're mistaken for a student then? :hmmmm:

Yeah when you're in an all girls school it can get crazy - it's probably not that bad in mixed schools from what I've seen. They never did anything bad haha they just followed them and took pictures which they didn't even try to hide. Poor teachers on public transport got **** all the time, girls would get off the bus in a group and start knocking on the window closest to the teacher. Poor guy. It's not common obviously but if girls get giggly around you I'd be cautious around them. I'm sure you get some sort of talk about that right?

They will as long as you're not too relaxed and not too strict. I personally never did homework or work unless the teacher was really strict like give-you-a-heart-attack-when-you-see-them-in-the-corridor-strict or they were really nice and I enjoyed their lessons and I'd feel bad if I didn't do it. Same for many fellow students I found. That's why it's good that they like you and you're popular with them.

Tbh as long as you feel you're doing the best you can as a teacher, you and your students are happy, it shouldn't matter. Staff are probably jealous because students rarely like teachers but they seem to like you and you should be proud :smile: (not even considering the fact that you managed to make MATHS fun :eek: ).

Try finding a colleague that's also new, or young like yourself and y'all can hang out together. Wasn't uncommon at my school to notice certain teachers always hung out with each other and weren't comfortable when around others and would never be in the staffroom.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest