The Student Room Group

How do you cope with grief?

Scroll to see replies

male - I never cry, probably like most guys (funny that)
if I'm intensely upset, I'll just push through and keep my head in a positive space
i.e. I'll play guitar, watch youtube, play a game, listen to music, some pretty introspective and introverted stuff
but sometimes there's a time and a place for grief
if you failed an exam, for example, it would be ludicrous not to put yourself through some grief, or else how will you learn from such a mistake?
sometimes if I feel I've really ****ed up, I'll have some alone time and some time to recuperate and lesson-draw.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sleepysnooze
male - I never cry
if I'm intensely upset, I'll just push through and keep my head in a positive space
but sometimes there's a time and a place for grief
if you failed an exam, for example, it would be ludicrous not to put yourself through some grief, or else how will you learn from such a mistake?
sometimes if I feel I've really ****ed up, I'll have some alone time and some time to recuperate and lesson-draw

Never ever?

Have you had a proper loss? I realise OP said on the previous page 'not too deep' stuff but...

Male - would normally be gym. Kick myself for poor essay grade or whatever. V quickly get over it once i have very logically worked out how i will rectify it.

Can easily then forget about it and be happy the next day unlike my mum or sister.

Proper grief - cry. Deep depression. Lasted for weeks. Only happened once, most family deaths i show little emotion. Rarely cry, has to really be a 'loss'
Original post by Unistudent77
Never ever?

Have you had a proper loss? I realise OP said on the previous page 'not too deep' stuff but...

Male - would normally be gym. Kick myself for poor essay grade or whatever. V quickly get over it once i have very logically worked out how i will rectify it.

Can easily then forget about it and be happy the next day unlike my mum or sister.

Proper grief - cry. Deep depression. Lasted for weeks. Only happened once, most family deaths i show little emotion. Rarely cry, has to really be a 'loss'

well, I had clinical depression when I was about 17 or 18 - real, hardcore life-dreading depression. so now I've kind of built up immunity to grief. my grandmother died a few weeks ago and even then I was close to crying. I've been almost crying through hard break ups. but still, the more depression and grief you get in life, the easier it gets to deal with. it toughens you up because your default expectation from life isn't happiness but just moderation. a lot of people tend to expect too much from life and that's why they end up physically crying. my advice to them is to chill out and understand that life doesn't owe you jack ****. you are merely 1 out of several billion people and if you aren't satisfied with life then join the club.
Female :h:

i bottle it all up for weeks....... when i reach a limit i'll then go for a LONG run/walk to my local park and cry where no-one can see me. :s-smilie:
I tend to cry and stay in my room and stop eating.
The loss of my dad put me in a really dark place though, I just found it difficult to cope with.
Original post by sameehaiqbal
I tend to cry and stay in my room and stop eating.
The loss of my dad put me in a really dark place though, I just found it difficult to cope with.

:console:
Original post by l'etranger
I wasn't talking specifically about loss of loved ones which is one of the worst things people experience, but something which everyone experiences, I generally meant day to day nonsense like breakups, exams, stuff which isn't that deep.

Then why use the term grief?
female
engage in escapism tactics - binge watch tv shows/movies and read (occasionally badly written) young adult books :colondollar:

but thats avoiding it ^ to cope I generally talk to close friend(s), listen to sad music and read sad quotes
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 0to100
I don't cope with it. I wallow in self pity.

Feel you bro.

I find it really sad that so many males have a default "me cry? Never!" response.
Your emotions serve a purpose, they are not a sign of weakness.

But being afraid of your own emotions can perhaps be a sign of weakness.

So man up, and shed a tear or two occassionally. Might do you some good.
Reply 29
Use grief seed
Original post by Naeco
Use grief seed

Original post by sleepysnooze
well, I had clinical depression when I was about 17 or 18 - real, hardcore life-dreading depression. so now I've kind of built up immunity to grief. my grandmother died a few weeks ago and even then I was close to crying. I've been almost crying through hard break ups. but still, the more depression and grief you get in life, the easier it gets to deal with. it toughens you up because your default expectation from life isn't happiness but just moderation. a lot of people tend to expect too much from life and that's why they end up physically crying. my advice to them is to chill out and understand that life doesn't owe you jack ****. you are merely 1 out of several billion people and if you aren't satisfied with life then join the club.

I see. Well done for getting through that!

I agree that experience will help you in situations like that.

True, although i think life can be highly rewarding. However, we certainly are not entitled to a long happy life. Just have to roll with the punches and make the best of it all.

Original post by Twinpeaks
Feel you bro.

I find it really sad that so many males have a default "me cry? Never!" response.

Agree with this. Nothing wrong with it at times.

A good friend of mine was basically being abused by his pyscho girlfriend mentally and she was just crazy. He blamed himself as 'men shouldn't be weak' etc and self-harmed.
If people felt they could chat about stuff like that then maybe suicide wouldn't be the largest cause of death for men under 45...
Reply 32
Original post by Twinpeaks
Feel you bro.

I literally can't.
I just feel empty really. A little sad, but not enough for it to affect my ability to function. Sort of puts me in a state of reflection and retrospect. Admittedly, I've not lost anyone from my immediate family which I imagine would hit me harder than any other grief I've experienced, atm I'm just speaking of people like nan, grandad, uncles, old school mates and so on.
Reply 34
female
-remember that no matter how bad things have been in my life, I always got over it (aka you'll always get over whatever it is that you need to get over unless you're an alien/possessed or sth weird :smile:)
-work out
-focus on me, my goals, my ambitions in life and why that is more important than anything else

Spoiler

Original post by saraxh

Spoiler

im sorry to hear that :hugs:
Original post by CleverSquirrel
im sorry to hear that :hugs:

Spoiler

Male.

I just keep it in and don't deal with it until everything builds up and I can't handle it anymore.
Female - I would cry alone or pray which helps as i find it hard to share my emotions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending