The Student Room Group

A Level advice

Hello,
I'm currently in L6th at Peter Symonds in Winchester. I'm currently studying Maths, Further Maths, History and Health and Social care A level. The reason I'm posting is to ask people advice about dropping/changing subjects. I think my strengths lie in mathematics/science based subjects (maths & FM), and find humanity based subjects more difficult (H+SC & History). I was thinking perhaps I could finish humanity based subjects at AS level, then take Physics and try attempting the whole A level in one year. I really want to do Maths or Physics at university, so it really doesn't make sense for me to be taking the humanity based courses.

So, what do you think I should do? Has anyone ever done a whole A level, specifically science-based, in the space of a year? I completely understand the strain of workload, however, I think I'm handling myself sufficiently so far.

Kind regards,
Luke
Original post by LukeCCollinson
Hello,
I'm currently in L6th at Peter Symonds in Winchester. I'm currently studying Maths, Further Maths, History and Health and Social care A level. The reason I'm posting is to ask people advice about dropping/changing subjects. I think my strengths lie in mathematics/science based subjects (maths & FM), and find humanity based subjects more difficult (H+SC & History). I was thinking perhaps I could finish humanity based subjects at AS level, then take Physics and try attempting the whole A level in one year. I really want to do Maths or Physics at university, so it really doesn't make sense for me to be taking the humanity based courses.

So, what do you think I should do? Has anyone ever done a whole A level, specifically science-based, in the space of a year? I completely understand the strain of workload, however, I think I'm handling myself sufficiently so far.

Kind regards,
Luke

Hey there, I'm currently in U6 at Symonds. I think you need to talk with your Lead Tutor about this really - I haven't head of anyone here being allowed to do a whole A-level in one year, but taking AS physics next year is definitely an option. I think it's very unlikely that you'd be allowed to enter an AS class this year given how late it is, unless you could definitively prove that you know the material. You might consider dropping one of the essay subjects this year, especially as you find them more difficult - four isn't necessary. Definitely make an appointment with your lead tutor, and probably drop in at Careers too.
Original post by dkfalling
Hey there, I'm currently in U6 at Symonds. I think you need to talk with your Lead Tutor about this really - I haven't head of anyone here being allowed to do a whole A-level in one year, but taking AS physics next year is definitely an option. I think it's very unlikely that you'd be allowed to enter an AS class this year given how late it is, unless you could definitively prove that you know the material. You might consider dropping one of the essay subjects this year, especially as you find them more difficult - four isn't necessary. Definitely make an appointment with your lead tutor, and probably drop in at Careers too.

Brilliant, thanks ever so much. I didn't know there were other people from Symonds on here :smile:. How do I speak to speak to my lead tutor? Also, it was careers that suggested I take physics as an AS next year, but I'm hoping to take an A level as I really want to take Physics at Oxford (he hopes!). I have the GCSE grades to do it, but I stupidly tried varying my subject choices on the word of my sister who did classics at University.

May I ask what subjects you're doing?

~ Luke
Brilliant, thanks ever so much. I didn't know there were other people from Symonds on here :smile:. How do I speak to speak to my lead tutor? Also, it was careers that suggested I take physics as an AS next year, but I'm hoping to take an A level as I really want to take Physics at Oxford (he hopes!). I have the GCSE grades to do it, but I stupidly tried varying my subject choices on the word of my sister who did classics at University.

May I ask what subjects you're doing?

~ Luke

There's 4000 students at Symonds, there had to be a few of us hanging around on here :wink:. Find out who your lead tutor is from your basic information on the intranet. Scheduling an appointment via emai will be easier - go to the college email tool so you're definitely using your student email address, and you can use the 'address book' tool to look up their email. The lead tutor offices are upstairs Paul Woodhouse, take the internal stairs up and walk down the corridor on the left before Student Services.

It's nowhere near as common at Symonds as Barton, but don't discount a third year or gap year. It's not ideal, but Oxford at least would appreciate the commitment and motivation for your subject.

I did Further Maths to AS, and I'm now doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths, and French to full A levels. I got an interview at Oxford for medicine (not the same but science aspects were similar) this year, so if you start panicking about personal statement or applicaion stuff soon feel free to shoot me a message.
Looks like you've already goregistered some pretty good advice @dkfalling.
But..
1. I strongly suggest taking down your personal info.. I think it's a little much (just my opinion)
2. I definitely think you should drop the humanities as that's difficult and totally irrelevant to you. I'd say change over to physics immediately cuz its gonna be harder so if it all next academic year than starting a new class research months until the course (stress this to your teacher)

Good luck itststlln making things work for you!
The **** would u do health and social care A level lmao
Original post by PocketSized
Looks like you've already goregistered some pretty good advice @dkfalling.
But..
1. I strongly suggest taking down your personal info.. I think it's a little much (just my opinion)
2. I definitely think you should drop the humanities as that's difficult and totally irrelevant to you. I'd say change over to physics immediately cuz its gonna be harder so if it all next academic year than starting a new class research months until the course (stress this to your teacher)

Good luck itststlln making things work for you!

Haha thanks, I'll use less info in future. What about spending the whole summer holiday, after I've dropped the two humanities subjects, learning the whole AS physics syllabus so when I get back I can join the A level course. It shouldn't be a problem because they're linear now. My thinking is this will mean I get more qualifications, it means I don't have to stress until after the academic year when I'm in a position to focus solely on physics, and lastly it will show that I'm not only able to learn things fast, but very determined - shows I'm good Oxbridge material?

~ Luke
Original post by whowannadate
The **** would u do health and social care A level lmao

Exactly, it's more as an extra AS that's easy. The idea was to take easier subjects but then focus on my others. I enjoy it and the teachers are really nice.
My main worry with that would be that you won't have accurate predicted grades, and those are what really matter now. As you will be applying to Oxford, your application will need to be in by October, so if you're not predicted at least an A (though realistically an A*) then you probably won't even be treated as a viable candidate. So I would suggest changing now or taking a gap year.
Can I ask why you didn't take physics initially?
Haha thanks, I'll use less info in future. What about spending the whole summer holiday, after I've dropped the two humanities subjects, learning the whole AS physics syllabus so when I get back I can join the A level course. It shouldn't be a problem because they're linear now. My thinking is this will mean I get more qualifications, it means I don't have to stress until after the academic year when I'm in a position to focus solely on physics, and lastly it will show that I'm not only able to learn things fast, but very determined - shows I'm good Oxbridge material?

~ Luke

That's a great idea, but honestly you'll just have to see what your sixth form allows you to do. Hope it all goes well for you.

Ps. I like that little hyphen you do at the end 😃
The thing is the physics at my college is now linear, so as long as I spend the summer catching up with the others then there shouldn't be a problem. I'd still get a predicted grade, I'll just have to work harder for it.

~ Luke

Quick Reply

Latest