The Student Room Group

once again...integrated PhD!!!!

did anybody here do an integrated PhD ?
any universities that offer such a type of placement ?
any kind of help is greatly welcome.
Original post by Nadjibus
did anybody here do an integrated PhD ?
any universities that offer such a type of placement ?
any kind of help is greatly welcome.

"once again..." suggests that you've previously tried and had no luck with this. I think you need to better define your terms. I am someone who should know what you're referring to, but I don't.

I know about integrated masters, i.e. 1+3 schemes where the masters is designed as training for the PhD and to that extent 'integrated'.

But into what is this PhD integrated? And in what subject area are you hoping to study? I can imagine as plausibly existing for example a Pharmacology PhD co-sponsored by a university and a pharmaceuticals company, which would make sense of talk of 'placements', but no-one can help until you provide better direction.
Reply 2
Original post by cambio wechsel
"once again..." suggests that you've previously tried and had no luck with this. I think you need to better define your terms. I am someone who should know what you're referring to, but I don't.

I know about integrated masters, i.e. 1+3 schemes where the masters is designed as training for the PhD and to that extent 'integrated'.

But into what is this PhD integrated? And in what subject area are you hoping to study? I can imagine as plausibly existing for example a Pharmacology PhD co-sponsored by a university and a pharmaceuticals company, which would make sense of talk of 'placements', but no-one can help until you provide better direction.

Thank you for replying, Sir. Well, my subject area would be English Literature. I am a fully-funded international student. I am trying to secure a direct placement, but in case I fail to do so, my resort would be an integrated PhD.
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank you for replying, Sir. Well, my subject area would be English Literature. I am a fully-funded international student. I am trying to secure a direct placement, but in case I fail to do so, my resort would be an integrated PhD.

Still no real idea, and I'm now content that this isn't only because these are terms used in e.g. Pharmacy or Architecture or whatever. If it's Arts and Humanities, I show know it. And I don't.

What is an integrated PhD?

What is a placement? (In the UK this means being placed within a company or organisation)

My best guess is that you want to secure a place (not "placement") on a doctoral programme but are coming to see that this might require you to do an integrated masters.
Reply 4
Still no real idea, and I'm now content that this isn't only because these are terms used in e.g. Pharmacy or Architecture or whatever. If it's Arts and Humanities, I show know it. And I don't.

What is an integrated PhD?

What is a placement? (In the UK this means being placed within a company or organisation)

My best guess is that you want to secure a place (not "placement":wink: on a doctoral programme but are coming to see that this might require you to do an integrated masters.

I think you know way better than me regarding this matter. I am indeed looking for a "place" on a doctoral programme. mind to tell me more about this integrated programme ?
Reply 5
I don't think many universities have this option. Many offer integrated master level courses so 4 instead of 3 undergraduate years. I have seen it in engineering in particular.

Very few medical schools offer progress from intercalated BSc year to a 3 year PhD before returning to complete the medicine course. That's the only place I saw an integrated PhD offered.
I think you know way better than me regarding this matter. I am indeed looking for a "place" on a doctoral programme. mind to tell me more about this integrated programme ?

Okay. You have a BA (YES?) and are keen to do a PhD. In almost all instances the department will require that you first complete a masters degree, and especially if you're an international student, where this might be asked even if you're carrying a masters from your home country.

If you look at the list of MAs offered by Humanities departments there will be six sexy ones and one that looks impossibly dreary, this requiring that you do modules in library skills and 'digital humanities' and a literature review. Sometimes now it is styled as an MRes. This is the Masters that is sponsored by a research council as part of its 1+3 programme (one year for the masters and three for the PhD). The others typically have no money attached, though it is as well possible to progress to a PhD from one of these, and to do the research training masters on your own dime.
Reply 7
Okay. You have a BA (YES?) and are keen to do a PhD. In almost all instances the department will require that you first complete a masters degree, and especially if you're an international student, where this might be asked even if you're carrying a masters from your home country.

If you look at the list of MAs offered by Humanities departments there will be six sexy ones and one that looks impossibly dreary, this requiring that you do modules in library skills and 'digital humanities' and a literature review. Sometimes now it is styled as an MRes. This is the Masters that is sponsored by a research council as part of its 1+3 programme (one year for the masters and three for the PhD). The others typically have no money attached, though it is as well possible to progress to a PhD from one of these, and to do the research training masters on your own dime.
I do hold an M.A, but I thought I could go for an integrated PhD because I think I need to broaden my knowledge regading English literature, and some other areas that are concerned with the area of research I wanna work in. I read on Wikipedia that I could asked to write a dissertation for the master's if I do MRes. Is that true ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending