The Student Room Group

Weightlifting-PBs??

Hey guys, do any of you do olympic or power lifting? Or any kind of lifting?
If so, please share your PBs here! :biggrin:

(maybe it'll provide the motivation needed to get to the gym today..)

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

I've been mostly out of action for a little while now due to chronic illness, but I'm getting back on the horse now. Been using Vince Gironda methods mainly, I always like to go with more pump-based stuff when getting back into it to help fill myself back out with glycogen and stuff, always seems to work better than diving back in with heavy stuff.

6x6 is my main method atm, basically 6 sets of 6 with 30 seconds rests between sets using your 12RM or 70% of your 1RM. Set a PB yesterday with this particular method, I'd been using 140kg on squats with it and not being able to finish the last set for the past couple of workouts (though the second attempt was much closer than the first!) but I managed it yesterday, so strength is definitely on the up :biggrin: Supposed to decrease the rests to 25 seconds at this point but I'll just bump the weight up to 145kg instead.
bench press: 75kg x 5
deadlift: 100kg x 6
squat: 90kg x 7
overhead press: 35kg x 6
I got up to 14 full pull-ups last year, does that count? I mean I lifted my body lol.
Original post by WoodyMKC
I've been mostly out of action for a little while now due to chronic illness, but I'm getting back on the horse now. Been using Vince Gironda methods mainly, I always like to go with more pump-based stuff when getting back into it to help fill myself back out with glycogen and stuff, always seems to work better than diving back in with heavy stuff.

6x6 is my main method atm, basically 6 sets of 6 with 30 seconds rests between sets using your 12RM or 70% of your 1RM. Set a PB yesterday with this particular method, I'd been using 140kg on squats with it and not being able to finish the last set for the past couple of workouts (though the second attempt was much closer than the first!) but I managed it yesterday, so strength is definitely on the up :biggrin: Supposed to decrease the rests to 25 seconds at this point but I'll just bump the weight up to 145kg instead.

How do you normally train when not using 6x6 to get back into the swing of things?

6x6 with 30secs rest is essentially rest pause training- absolutely brutal stuff :biggrin:.

Did some today in the gym- warmed up bench to heavy 5RM, dropped 20% and did max reps after 3 mins rest.

Then did incline, started with 12 RM+ 4 sets rest pause 30 secs and felt absolutely destroyed. Tried to do OHP and behind the neck press and it was pathetic really. Then stubbornly did 4 sets rest pause of dips and now I feel dead lol.

Had I not wasted time warming up without generating fatigue for bench, I could have done a whole upper body push workout with like 3 exercises and sub 20 minutes in the gym and genuinely felt like I had nothing more to give!
Original post by indigofox
I got up to 14 full pull-ups last year, does that count? I mean I lifted my body lol.

Yes that counts! 14 in a row? I can only do them if I come off the bar every time lol, well done!
Original post by In One Ear
How do you normally train when not using 6x6 to get back into the swing of things?

6x6 with 30secs rest is essentially rest pause training- absolutely brutal stuff :biggrin:.

Did some today in the gym- warmed up bench to heavy 5RM, dropped 20% and did max reps after 3 mins rest.

Then did incline, started with 12 RM+ 4 sets rest pause 30 secs and felt absolutely destroyed. Tried to do OHP and behind the neck press and it was pathetic really. Then stubbornly did 4 sets rest pause of dips and now I feel dead lol.

Had I not wasted time warming up without generating fatigue for bench, I could have done a whole upper body push workout with like 3 exercises and sub 20 minutes in the gym and genuinely felt like I had nothing more to give!

Yeah if you fail or almost fail the 5th set then you're practically rest-pausing! It's one of those volume routines where the first couple of sets are deceivingly easy, then by the end of the sets you're fighting for your breath on big exercises. Squats are horrible for 6x6 tbh :lol: but they work :biggrin:

Yeah I'm on a PPL atm and just got a pull session done in just over half an hour, did a mix of 6x6 and heavy stuff with dropsets. Pump pump pump :h:

As my mainstay I've been into Dorian Yates' style of training for 2-3 years now. Warmup sets as needed, then one set to balls-to-the-wall failure (as in, turning the RPE scale up to 11 haha), then finish up the set with either a dropset, rest-pause, some cheat reps or partials. Very low volume, but if you make up for it by busting your bollox where it counts then you'll be spent by the end of the workout. Doggcrapp, for example, is very much inspired by Dorian :smile:

Generally, though, I often mix things up. If I'm training on an upper/lower type split then I'll have A and B workouts, with the A workouts being the heavy days in which I use Dorian Yates' principles, then for the B workouts I train with high volume, where I avoid failure and usually use Vince Gironda principles where I'd do 6x6, 8x8, stuff like that, or even do some high rep stuff.
If I'm doing a stint on a bro-split then I'll often do a bit of both in the same workout, so for chest I'd start heavy with the DY stuff on bench variants, then as I progress to the smaller exercises I'll lighten the weights and go for higher volume.
(edited 7 years ago)
Started bodybuilding very recently. Doing an intense 3 day split and eating the correct s**t.
Reply 8
Original post by fergijane88
Hey guys, do any of you do olympic or power lifting? Or any kind of lifting?
If so, please share your PBs here! :biggrin:

(maybe it'll provide the motivation needed to get to the gym today..)

Spoiler

Lifetime PR's before I quit training and eating properly for a year.

Squat 110kg for 3 sets of 5
Bench 85kg for 3 sets of 5
Deadlift 140kg for 1 set of 5

I dread to think how much weaker these will be now, not even close.
Original post by BCam.
Lifetime PR's before I quit training and eating properly for a year.

Squat 110kg for 3 sets of 5
Bench 85kg for 3 sets of 5
Deadlift 140kg for 1 set of 5

I dread to think how much weaker these will be now, not even close.

Okay first, wow. Well done, thanks for sharing:biggrin:

Second, don't worry! You'll get back there soon enough. That's a bit like me with running atm, I've kinda been ignoring cardio the past few months (or 10 lol) and not been running any considerable distances since march. Now i'm trying to get back into it and it's pure hell
I mainly just go to the gym for enjoyment and to keep in shape, so I'm not trying to bodybuild or anything lol. But here we go (1 rep maxes last time I attempted them):

Body Weight: 67kg
Squat: 110kg
Deadlift: 120kg
Benchpress: 78kg
Reply 11
105kg bench at 73kg or more recently 96kg at 64kg. It's the only power or oly lift I do really. Rest are at around 68kg

62.5kg overhead press

200kg yoke for 12m

88kg (each hand) farmers walk for 12m in 9s

110kg front squat

72.5kg log floor to overhead

Not sure if that counts as motivational but this thread is lacking numbers :tongue:
Reply 12
Original post by fergijane88
Okay first, wow. Well done, thanks for sharing:biggrin:

Second, don't worry! You'll get back there soon enough. That's a bit like me with running atm, I've kinda been ignoring cardio the past few months (or 10 lol) and not been running any considerable distances since march. Now i'm trying to get back into it and it's pure hell

Thanks. Though numbers like that aren't anything special really, for a male who sticks to a proven strength program such as Starting Strength, and eats enough (not getting too fat though), for long enough (consistency is key), they are normal numbers. If you did GOMAD and ate loads and got fatter those numbers would be even easier to achieve, mass moves mass. But I'm not just focused on strength, body composition is equally important to me.

I went though a phase of increasing my running ability for the line of work I entered. It's only hell if you let it be, if you think it's enjoyable to improve it will be. Longer runs were always boring so I used to sprint to an object such as a lamp post then jog to the next one, then sprint to the next one, then jog etc etc.
Reply 13
Original post by BKS
105kg bench at 73kg or more recently 96kg at 64kg. It's the only power or oly lift I do really. Rest are at around 68kg

62.5kg overhead press

200kg yoke for 12m

110kg front squat

Not sure if that counts as motivational but this thread is lacking numbers :tongue:

Nice press at almost body weight. Farmers would be a killer, never really tried any strongman type training apart from farmers for cardio, never heavy though just for multiple shuttles.
Ohp 60kg for 1

Bench (don't do it, do dumbbell reverse instead and I do it with 35kgs each) for 5

Squats don't wanna say haha

Deadlifts 140kg for 5

I also do pull ups with 20kg added for 5 and I weigh 72kg and I'm 5'10/11 :smile:. Don't think it's anything special though and my legs are totally lacking and I know why. No I didn't skip leg day :tongue:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BKS

62.5kg overhead press

200kg yoke for 12m

110kg front squat

yoke, farmers walk and log to overhead, where do you do all this?? sounds fun, and great numbers btw! :biggrin:
Reply 16
Original post by Nulliverse
my legs are totally lacking and I know why. No I didn't skip leg day :tongue:.

The fact that you have a 'leg day' might be the issue. I mucked about with splits when I was 15 and didn't get anywhere, then I started training full body every other day and my legs responded very well to the increased frequency on squats and deads.
Original post by BCam.
Thanks. Though numbers like that aren't anything special really, for a male who sticks to a proven strength program such as Starting Strength, and eats enough (not getting too fat though), for long enough (consistency is key), they are normal numbers. If you did GOMAD and ate loads and got fatter those numbers would be even easier to achieve, mass moves mass. But I'm not just focused on strength, body composition is equally important to me.

I went though a phase of increasing my running ability for the line of work I entered. It's only hell if you let it be, if you think it's enjoyable to improve it will be. Longer runs were always boring so I used to sprint to an object such as a lamp post then jog to the next one, then sprint to the next one, then jog etc etc.

Can I ask what line of work? And hey that's a good idea, might try it next time i'm out (although i think it'll be more like jog to that tree, crawl to the next lmao)
My PBs:

BW @72kg

DB Incline Bench: 40kg for 5
Normal Bench: 90kg for 4
OHP: 60kg for 4 (been stuck at this for a while tbh and it gave me a bit of a muscle injury).
Squat: Best i ever did is 120kg for 5
Weighted Pullups: BW+25kg for 5
Original post by BCam.
The fact that you have a 'leg day' might be the issue. I mucked about with splits when I was 15 and didn't get anywhere, then I started training full body every other day and my legs responded very well to the increased frequency on squats and deads.

He doesn't squat (or not heavily) is why.
You can get great legs without squatting but i'd strongly recommend it!

Quick Reply

Latest