The Student Room Group

Is he being distant or am I overthinking?

I met a guy at the start of December and we were talking every night on the phone and we then met up for a date the next weekend. He ended up staying at mine for a few days and even met my mum and brother in that time. He then came down the day before Christmas eve to visit. After this his mum invited me for Boxing Day dinner with the family which was lovely and we all got on great. From Boxing Day until Monday past, we were with each other everyday and things were great. We are officially in a relationship (on Facebook too), have said I love you (he said it first), met each other's families, have them on Facebook and I'm so happy and he said he is too. He started acting distant on Monday before I left. He was meant to be coming down to mine for a few days but then he said he had work so he couldn't. He's also had an extremely sore back and ear for the last week too so I can understand his mood not being great. He text me on Tuesday afternoon to say he has been drifting in and out of sleep because of the painkillers and he hopes I'm well and he loves me. That's the last I've heard from him. He hasn't been as active on Facebook as much either. I've sent two whatsapp messages and a snapchat and neither have even been read. I had to change my number and I text him to tell him and then I text him to ask how he was. I also tried to ring him last night because he was using my Netflix and I couldn't watch anything while he was. I don't know why he's being like this and I know I'm probably overthinking but I just wanted someone else's opinion. I think I'm worried that history is repeating itself because my ex started ignoring me and we got distant and broke up. He was a complete arse though, not like this one.

Scroll to see replies

Well if you only met in December it sounds like you may have just moved way too fast and now it has naturally petered out or he wants to slow down a bit. Alternatively he may just be busy - sending him multiple messages on different media when he's not responding is a bit clingy.
Reply 2
Original post by doodle_333
Well if you only met in December it sounds like you may have just moved way too fast and now it has naturally petered out or he wants to slow down a bit. Alternatively he may just be busy - sending him multiple messages on different media when he's not responding is a bit clingy.

I've only sent him two messages on whatsapp and everyone got my snapchat, not just him. It's weird not hearing from him when we talked all the time. I know it has to slow down a thing some point though.
Original post by StarGirl17
I met a guy at the start of December and we were talking every night on the phone and we then met up for a date the next weekend. He ended up staying at mine for a few days and even met my mum and brother in that time. He then came down the day before Christmas eve to visit. After this his mum invited me for Boxing Day dinner with the family which was lovely and we all got on great. From Boxing Day until Monday past, we were with each other everyday and things were great. We are officially in a relationship (on Facebook too), have said I love you (he said it first), met each other's families, have them on Facebook and I'm so happy and he said he is too. He started acting distant on Monday before I left. He was meant to be coming down to mine for a few days but then he said he had work so he couldn't. He's also had an extremely sore back and ear for the last week too so I can understand his mood not being great. He text me on Tuesday afternoon to say he has been drifting in and out of sleep because of the painkillers and he hopes I'm well and he loves me. That's the last I've heard from him. He hasn't been as active on Facebook as much either. I've sent two whatsapp messages and a snapchat and neither have even been read. I had to change my number and I text him to tell him and then I text him to ask how he was. I also tried to ring him last night because he was using my Netflix and I couldn't watch anything while he was. I don't know why he's being like this and I know I'm probably overthinking but I just wanted someone else's opinion. I think I'm worried that history is repeating itself because my ex started ignoring me and we got distant and broke up. He was a complete arse though, not like this one.

I'm not saying this is true but he could just be in it for a short term the way you guys developed was great and maybe it's hit him how fast it's going or he is just unwell , there are many reasons for him being like this , maybe try and talk on phone or visit his house but whatever happens don't give up hope ever ok 😊
Reply 4
Original post by Ria25
I'm not saying this is true but he could just be in it for a short term the way you guys developed was great and maybe it's hit him how fast it's going or he is just unwell , there are many reasons for him being like this , maybe try and talk on phone or visit his house but whatever happens don't give up hope ever ok 😊

I thought that too but then we met each other's families and they both think we're great together. Doubt he would have wanted to do that if it was short term. I'm hoping anyway. We're still showing as in a relationship on facebook too. I'm not going to give up hope but I also don't want to pester him either 😔
I thought that too but then we met each other's families and they both think we're great together. Doubt he would have wanted to do that if it was short term. I'm hoping anyway. We're still showing as in a relationship on facebook too. I'm not going to give up hope but I also don't want to pester him either 😔

Visit his house that maybe best way to contact him :wink:
Reply 6
Original post by Ria25
Visit his house that maybe best way to contact him :wink:

I was thinking of maybe doing that but then I was scared of looking clingy too lol!
SLOW DOWN. Some couples take months and months to do what you've done in a month
I was thinking of maybe doing that but then I was scared of looking clingy too lol!

I understand , but your his girlfriend and I'm sure if he was in this case he would do that to for you:wink:
Reply 9
Original post by Pinkberry_y
SLOW DOWN. Some couples take months and months to do what you've done in a month

I know! I wasn't expecting to move this fast at all!! He's been the one that's been more keen from the start. I was a bit dubious due to being hurt before
Original post by Ria25
I understand , but your his girlfriend and I'm sure if he was in this case he would do that to for you:wink:

Please do not turn up at his house, regardless if you're his girlfriend, or not this WILL come across as clingy given how much time you've spent together lately.
Maybe tomorrow give him a text saying to him you hope he's feeling better and whether he'd like you to bring anything round for him or something
Reply 11
Original post by Ria25

I know he probably would! He lives with his mum an hour away so it's not like I can say I was just in the area lol
Reply 12
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Please do not turn up at his house, regardless if you're his girlfriend, or not this WILL come across as clingy given how much time you've spent together lately.
Maybe tomorrow give him a text saying to him you hope he's feeling better and whether he'd like you to bring anything round for him or something

He lives about an hour away with his mum and I think it might come across as a bit much if I just land up. I think I'm overthinking stuff a bit too much because my ex started doing this and it really messed with my head. He was a hundred times worse in many ways though.

Like the others have said meeting parents usually comes months later. I know not talking to him frequently is not your normal, but try to give him space. I've just found the harder you try to keep someone the more you drive them away. Keep yourself distracted. He said he loves you. He knows your number he will get back to you if he wants to.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Lemons1990
Like the others have said meeting parents usually comes months later. I know not talking to him frequently is not your normal, but try to give him space. I've just found the harder you try to keep someone the more you drive them away. Keep yourself distracted. He said he loves you. He knows your number he will get back to you if he wants to.

I never expected the whole meeting parents thing to happen. It just did! I am giving him space and when he wants to talk, he know where I am!
I never expected the whole meeting parents thing to happen. It just did! I am giving him space and when he wants to talk, he know where I am!

How are you holding up though? I know it's easier said than done
Reply 16
Original post by Lemons1990
How are you holding up though? I know it's easier said than done

Feeling pretty down to be honest and trying not to jump to conclusions but it's so hard!

Give him a break. He's probably just feeling rundown. As others have said, you've moved incredibly quickly in this relationship, and from what i've seen, it's like you're both forcing a serious relationship. Maybe worry if he's not been talking to you for a week or so, but at the moment, bothering him will probably push him away.
Feeling pretty down to be honest and trying not to jump to conclusions but it's so hard!

You just need to keep yourself distracted, and busy. Are there any tv shows you can binge watch? Go out with friends for lunch?
Reply 19
Original post by CarysJSLewis
Give him a break. He's probably just feeling rundown. As others have said, you've moved incredibly quickly in this relationship, and from what i've seen, it's like you're both forcing a serious relationship. Maybe worry if he's not been talking to you for a week or so, but at the moment, bothering him will probably push him away.

He was really rundown from being in so much pain so I am giving him a break. We did move very quickly which I wasn't expecting but it felt ok. It's only been two days and I know I shouldn't be worried just yet lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending