The Student Room Group

What are signs that you didn't get the job?

I'm looking to build a list of responses from HR people that show you didn't get the job. This way, we won't have to waste time hoping and hoping.

Seeing I have done my share of interviews, I'll start:

- we'll be in touch
- we'll contact you
- we'll let you know
- if you don't hear from us
- we have a lot more interviews to do, so

Feel free to add to the list.
You only know when they confirm that you have not been successful. None of the responses you have listed are rejections by themselves, so don't lose hope.
Reply 2
I've had all of those at some point, and got the job.

As an interviewer, you try your hardest not to let on whether someone has got the job or not, so these generic phrases will be said to everyone, you'll pick one, and stick to it. I know when someone walks through the door whether I want to give them the job or not.

I definitely wouldn't read too much into buzz words at interviews.
Reply 3
When they say you didn't get the job.
Original post by 571122
I'm looking to build a list of responses from HR people that show you didn't get the job. This way, we won't have to waste time hoping and hoping.

- we'll be in touch
- we'll contact you
- we'll let you know

There's no such thing. Responses are entirely personal, and interviewers do all they can to appear neutral to all candidates so mixing individual language characteristics with a universal attempt to mask those characteristics is unlikely to be successful.

Furthermore, unless someone says something completely incompatible with the job, interviewers try to actively stop the 'grading' of candidates until they have seen them all. Getting the right person for the job is very important, and it is made double difficult if you allow yourself to think the first candidate is brilliant before you have seen the other 5 who are waiting outside.

So the words you hear after an interview are meaningless, as is the body language, the timing of the email, etc etc
Reply 5
Original post by Tubbz
I know when someone walks through the door whether I want to give them the job or not.

Don't you think that's superficial?
Reply 6
Original post by 571122
Don't you think that's superficial?

Yes. Very. But if you walk through the door to an interview clearly having made no effort on your appearance to get the job, why should I believe suddenly you'll change that willingness to make an effort when it comes to doing the job?

I'm not saying I would, or wouldn't, give someone the job based purely on their looks, but if you've made no effort, you'll have to work harder in an interview than someone who has at least attempted to throw a suit on.

I'll still hear anyone out, if you've given someone an interview based on their CV, you're now using the interview to validate their claims, and get to know them as a person, but your first impression is your appearance.
Reply 7
Original post by Tubbz
Yes. Very. But if you walk through the door to an interview clearly having made no effort on your appearance to get the job, why should I believe suddenly you'll change that willingness to make an effort when it comes to doing the job?

I'm not saying I would, or wouldn't, give someone the job based purely on their looks, but if you've made no effort, you'll have to work harder in an interview than someone who has at least attempted to throw a suit on.

I'll still hear anyone out, if you've given someone an interview based on their CV, you're now using the interview to validate their claims, and get to know them as a person, but your first impression is your appearance.

Right, I assumed everyone would come to an interview top-notch like I do. I come to interviews fully dressed, suit, tie and everything, washed hair, slick haircut etc. Only prepubescent little kids don't prepare properly for an interview.

Like an autistic person once told me when I repeatedly warned him about his lack of etiquette for our graduation project: "Why should my appearance matter? Am I not going to get my degree just because my appearance doesn't suit them? Come on" to which I answered: "because you live in a society and you don't want to bring down a company's reputation by being repulsive to clients". Saying that to that guy is of course pointless.
His appearance was horrid; he went to our first interview at the corporation with food from last night showing on his teeth when he opened his mouth, his breath smelled horribly and he said "**** it" often. I was completely embarrassed and I hope to never work with these type of people again.

I think the point is: if you have a series of well-dressed, well-prepared candidates, it's not fair to judge them based on their appearance. However, it might be reasonable to judge them based on their general manners.
Reply 8
Original post by 571122
Right, I assumed everyone would come to an interview top-notch like I do. I come to interviews fully dressed, suit, tie and everything, washed hair, slick haircut etc. Only prepubescent little kids don't prepare properly for an interview.

I think the point is: if you have a series of well-dressed, well-prepared candidates, it's not fair to judge them based on their appearance. However, it might be reasonable to judge them based on their general manners.

No, not everyone turns up to interviews correctly dressed. It isn't "little kids" either. I've interviewed people with degrees who don't know how to dress.
It also depends on what you're interviewing for, but I firmly believe a suit is appropriate for all interviews, except maybe those with a practical assessment (and this should be stated allowing you to dress appropriately)

You're also limiting appearance to the way you dress. The way you conduct yourself makes a huge difference. That fine line between confidence and arrogance as you enter the room, these things all add up.

I've not once said you hire based on appearance. It's whether I want to or not.
You instantly get an impression when someone walks through that door where you think, "do I want to work with that guy every day?"

Sometimes the answer is no, but they may be the best person for the job. It's whether you're good enough to get beyond that stage.
Reply 9
Original post by Tubbz
No, not everyone turns up to interviews correctly dressed. It isn't "little kids" either. I've interviewed people with degrees who don't know how to dress.
It also depends on what you're interviewing for, but I firmly believe a suit is appropriate for all interviews, except maybe those with a practical assessment (and this should be stated allowing you to dress appropriately)

You're also limiting appearance to the way you dress. The way you conduct yourself makes a huge difference. That fine line between confidence and arrogance as you enter the room, these things all add up.

I've not once said you hire based on appearance. It's whether I want to or not.
You instantly get an impression when someone walks through that door where you think, "do I want to work with that guy every day?"

Sometimes the answer is no, but they may be the best person for the job. It's whether you're good enough to get beyond that stage.

All this social mumbo-jumbo annoys me. People should just be hired based on technical skills, punto finale.
Original post by 571122

- we'll be in touch
- we'll contact you
- we'll let you know

To be honest in my opinion and saying from personal experience, the list is pretty much hit and miss.
You may never know what will happen after the interview you just simply can't predict.

I had interviews where I've been told all of the list from the usual above but managed to get some of the jobs in the end.

Most of the time its about luck because sometimes managers don't always know who to hire in the end.
when you don't hear from them?
Reply 12
Is it good I've never been rejected for a job once I've got to interview?

I think you should just look for how interested they are, try and connect a little. Use some dry humour and demonstrate something that they can see being good in the job. Asking questions is just as important as answering questions, I believe saying yes to water works miracles.

If you're sucsssful you'll hear something like "we'll inform you shortly" "it may or may not be yours, we'll let you know soon" "once we've finished with all other candidates you'll be sent our decision". It tends to be formed with care rather than a pre scripted thing.
Reply 13
Original post by 571122
All this social mumbo-jumbo annoys me. People should just be hired based on technical skills, punto finale.

Disagree completely. You bring someone into a work environment who doesn't fit the social order you already have, it can disrupt productivity.

I want to hire someone I like, and will fit the job, rather than the person with the most technical ability. You trade off on the balance of those two to pick the "best person"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending