The Student Room Group

Do you think people have really high standards when it comes to finding a partner?

Like, most people these days expect to find a guy/girl of their dreams and so have certain expectations from them?
and so have such high standards, but are completely oblivious to those around them?

like the person of their dreams could be stood right in front of them but because of their expectations and high standards- they neglect them and look for a hot/good looking number 10 or something? they dont look at compatibitly :rolleyes:

i think if people opened their eyes and dont have very high standards, and just followed their heart then maybe they wont complain about being lonely and not finding anyone?

What do you think? :hmmm:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CleverSquirrel
Like, most people these days expect to find a guy/girl of their dreams and so have cetain expectations from them? and so have such high standards, but that they are completely oblivious to those around them?

i think if people opened thier eyes and dont have v high standards,and just followed their heart then maybe they wont complain about being lonely and not finding anyone?

Yes and No. I feel that films and TV have helped a lot of people believe that a relationship should be like a fairytale and all agreeable and happy. Also, that it can easy and you don't need to work at a relationship, especially people who tend to be younger i believe.

Whilst, others tend to have very little expectations and therefore can seem to have low confidence and seem to be unattractive too. I do think it does exist but not to all people.
(edited 7 years ago)
I think some not all people have certain expectations and are therefore unknowingly blind to see what's right before them.

Dreams aren't reality. Make your reality your dream.
Reply 3
I've pretty much lowered all my standards and it's still not happening :rofl:
(edited 7 years ago)
Some people do :smile:
Original post by samiz20891
Yes and No. I feel that films and TV have helped

surely that's not a good thing- growing up reading romance novels and really being into romcoms for example really raises your hopes and expectations on relationships irl?

and when they dont happen in real life- you feel like its a let own when its really not?

(i see you've edited it - i agree- films and books for example create unrealistic expectations for reality :rolleyes: )

yeah i think you're right :yep:
(edited 7 years ago)
very wise words indeed!
I thought I had a very set lot of standards before I met my current boyfriend but when it came down to it I liked him so much, it didn't matter that he was the complete opposite of what I typically liked in a guys personality
surely that's not a good thing- growing up reading romance novels and really being into romcoms for example really raises your hopes and expectations on relationships irl?

and when they dont happen in real life- you feel like its a let own when its really not?

Agreed, but to an extent it is escapism, if you have a hard life or are feeling down, this type of film/tv can be a good way to keep hopes up and feel like you are living in the characters shoes, even for a short time. When it is concerning, is when people try to use the same ideas in real life and get drawn into that high perfect expectations which will often not exist.
Yes girls don't like it if you lie about your whole life or act like a perv :frown: But what can I do? I can't help it! :sad: :bawling:

@Euler's Identity bhai got banned but he knows what I'm talking about :frown:
Original post by UWS
I've pretty much lowered all my standards and it's still not happening :rofl:

awwww!!!! im sure you'll find some one dont worry! she'll pop up when youre not expecting it!

Original post by Pinkberry_y
I thought I had a very set lot of standards before I met my current boyfriend but when it came down to it I liked him so much, it didn't matter that he was the complete opposite of what I typically liked in a guys personality

awww thats so cute! i think in this situaion, being in a relationship changes the way you think about things? doesnt it?

Original post by samiz20891
Agreed, but to an extent it is escapism, if you have a hard life or are feeling down, this type of film/tv can be a good way to keep hopes up and feel like you are living in the characters shoes, even for a short time. When it is concerning, is when people try to use the same ideas in real life and get drawn into that high perfect expectations which will often not exist.

i see where you're coming from, i guess for someone with low confidence it really does help, but even then, does it not create unrealistic expectations for them?
Reply 11
They certainly have standards higher than the standard I am at
I don't think my expectations are that high but I'm pretty open. :h:
There is no harm in trying, if doesn't work out, it's not destined to happen.
Reply 13
awwww!!!! im sure you'll find some one dont worry! she'll pop up when youre not expecting it!

I'll look on mumsnet :rofl:
I don't think so.

I think everyone likes to imagine their dream partner and talk to their friends about their standards but most people will readily drop those if a reasonable looking person comes along and is nice to them.

Not many lads can afford to be turning girls away and I think most girls are open to being persuaded.

I don't see it why it is a problem if people do have too high standards. Once you reach your 30s it is a bit more pressing but in your 20s, you have time to pick and choose and if you are not getting anywhere, your expectations will come down. Surely, even for the most over confident people, it can only take so many years of rejection for you realise, you are aiming too high.
(edited 7 years ago)
Like, most people these days expect to find a guy/girl of their dreams and so have certain expectations from them?
and so have such high standards, but are completely oblivious to those around them?

like the person of their dreams could be stood right in front of them but because of their expectations and high standards- they neglect them and look for a hot/good looking number 10 or something? they dont look at compatibitly :rolleyes:

i think if people opened their eyes and dont have very high standards, and just followed their heart then maybe they wont complain about being lonely and not finding anyone?

Spoiler

I agree with this, obviously not all people have these high expectations but it is becoming quite common. Sometimes it can be those tiny habits or imperfections which can put someone off of someone else even if they're genuinely a really nice person. They only see the faults instead of the positives...

I agree with the person above about TV and movies being a bad influence, they get their hopes up but its very rarely a reality

Personally, I dont have high standards, as long as they have a good personality, if it works then it works (regardless of whatever) :smile:
Original post by Reachin4TheStars
I don't think my expectations are that high but I'm pretty open. :h:
There is no harm in trying, if doesn't work out, it's not destined to happen.

aw thats true i guess- its pretty much like trial and error :lol:

Original post by Sternumator
I don't think so.

I think everyone likes to imagine their dream partner and talk to their friends about their standards but most people will readily drop those if a reasonable looking person comes along and is nice to them.

Not many lads can afford to be turning girls away and I think most girls are open to being persuaded.

I don't see it why it is a problem if people do have too high standards. Once you reach your 30s it is a bit more pressing but in your 20s, you have time to pick and choose and if you are not getting anywhere, your expectations will come down. Surely, even for the most over confident people, it can only take so many years of rejection for you realise, you are aiming too high.

do you think so?

i guess you're right, as you get older you start looking at compatibility too, so you're saying that with experiance and maturity, standards arn't really a thing?

why is it that people in the younger gen have high standards?
aw thats true i guess- its pretty much like trial and error :lol:

do you think so?

i guess you're right, as you get older you start looking at compatibility too, so you're saying that with experiance and maturity, standards arn't really a thing?

why is it that people in the younger gen have high standards?

lmao it sounds pretty weird but great analogy :biggrin:
Original post by IKEAPanda37
I agree with this, obviously not all people have these high expectations but it is becoming quite common. Sometimes it can be those tiny habits or imperfections which can put someone off of someone else even if they're genuinely a really nice person. They only see the faults instead of the positives...

I agree with the person above about TV and movies being a bad influence, they get their hopes up but its very rarely a reality

Personally, I dont have high standards, as long as they have a good personality, if it works then it works (regardless of whatever) :smile:

i agree with you, im not saying its bad thing as such, just that it realy does put peoples hopes up and when it doesnt happen- people get upset:s-smilie:

ahh you're like me then, i go for personality over looks :colondollar:
Reply 19
i agree with you, im not saying its bad thing as such, just that it realy does put peoples hopes up and when it doesnt happen- people get upset:s-smilie:

ahh you're like me then, i go for personality over looks :colondollar:

I've heard that so many times online 😭😭😭

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending