The Student Room Group

How is Chemistry & Biology A level ??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by pheebsdancer
I do both biology and chemistry at A level. I only got a B in both at GCSE and when I first started everyone else in my class got A/A* at GCSE so I was worried I would struggle but I find the content in both subjects really interesting and currently working at an A grade. My advice if you want to take these subjects is to make sure after every lesson that you read over and re write notes using the text book as this helps you to condense the information better as especially biology uses some advanced terminology. But they are both great subjects and if you enjoy them you will still enjoy at A level. Best of luck!:smile:

I shall & thank you this helps a lot, good luck to you too
if you want a midlife crisis at 17 years old then do bio and chem. all i can say
I do both of them. Chemistry is harder than Biology, but if you understand the basics and concepts of the subjects, it's a breeze. A2 Chem is honestly a pain in the ass but I still enjoy it since I have a pretty good concept in the basics. Biology is just facts and facts, but again, understand the basics and concepts and you are good to go
I'm in A2 now. I take Chem, Bio and Maths. To be honest, chem is really easy to learn and very fun i really enjoy the subject but the questions are quite hard as well where some you have to memorise. And for bio, lots of facts to remember...may be in your head but when it comes to the exams..the questions are like mostly applications!!! makes you think a lot its not like what you have learned in class. but anyways i do enjoy bio although the stresssssss. However the maths part in chem is way far simpler than in bio. tbh the calculations in bio are super tough. if u're a pro maths geek you should take chem and enjoy breathing in the chemical!! feel free to ask any ques!
Reply 24
Original post by an_atheist
I did both last year, only do chemistry now (had to drop from 5 to 4), bio is a lot of rote memorisation of stuff from what I remember. Chemistry is a lot of calculations with some memorisation mixed in (organic chem is a *****)

Thanks, as long as I know the calculations especially for chemistry it's cool
Reply 25
Original post by Cluster1
Very different subject imo, biology is purely learning with a lot more content where as chem is very light in terms of content but the content is slightly harder overall I'd say bio is harder

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thankss, nice comparison it's helpful
I'm in my 2nd year of alevels and take bio and chem. Personally I really enjoy chemistry, but it is quite difficult.
I really don't like biology though because its just learning facts and the exams are so difficult.Its very boring.
I'd say go for what subjects you enjoy. Bio is pretty similar to GCSE but i though chem was very different, I used to have it at GCSE but now its my favourite subject.
Good luck! I hoped this helped x
Reply 27
Original post by Hassan2578
if you want a midlife crisis at 17 years old then do bio and chem. all i can say

Lool thanks says a lot😂
Lol anyone done the new spec mocks yet how the chem mock exam
Reply 29
Original post by Mushfique_97
I do both of them. Chemistry is harder than Biology, but if you understand the basics and concepts of the subjects, it's a breeze. A2 Chem is honestly a pain in the ass but I still enjoy it since I have a pretty good concept in the basics. Biology is just facts and facts, but again, understand the basics and concepts and you are good to go

Thank you lol
Reply 30
Original post by redruby28
I'm in A2 now. I take Chem, Bio and Maths. To be honest, chem is really easy to learn and very fun i really enjoy the subject but the questions are quite hard as well where some you have to memorise. And for bio, lots of facts to remember...may be in your head but when it comes to the exams..the questions are like mostly applications!!! makes you think a lot its not like what you have learned in class. but anyways i do enjoy bio although the stresssssss. However the maths part in chem is way far simpler than in bio. tbh the calculations in bio are super tough. if u're a pro maths geek you should take chem and enjoy breathing in the chemical!! feel free to ask any ques!

Bruh wow thank you. Not many people like Chem
Reply 31
Original post by ssizzles
I'm in my 2nd year of alevels and take bio and chem. Personally I really enjoy chemistry, but it is quite difficult.
I really don't like biology though because its just learning facts and the exams are so difficult.Its very boring.
I'd say go for what subjects you enjoy. Bio is pretty similar to GCSE but i though chem was very different, I used to have it at GCSE but now its my favourite subject.
Good luck! I hoped this helped x

Thank youu a lot it has helped x
Original post by sarahyi
Well I'm thinking of doing English lit., chemistry and biology

Hi, i am currently doing those A- levels! I'm in my second year and i am struggling personally to keep up with Chemistry. Biology is tough but if revised properly can really be quite straight forward. English Literature is also nice if you cover the texts well and structure out your essays according to the examiner report and mark schemes. Chemistry is killing me lmao, i had an A at GCSE and felt very comfortable with it however, entering A-level Chemistry is a completely different beast. I failed my first AS mock with a U but resat it and got an A so its not impossible, but A2 requires your AS fundamentals to be known pretty well. Then again i see people talking about how they enjoy it and i feel if you have the correct mind set and start studying early it will be fine.
Reply 33
Original post by mohsen-2897
Hi, i am currently doing those A- levels! I'm in my second year and i am struggling personally to keep up with Chemistry. Biology is tough but if revised properly can really be quite straight forward. English Literature is also nice if you cover the texts well and structure out your essays according to the examiner report and mark schemes. Chemistry is killing me lmao, i had an A at GCSE and felt very comfortable with it however, entering A-level Chemistry is a completely different beast. I failed my first AS mock with a U but resat it and got an A so its not impossible, but A2 requires your AS fundamentals to be known pretty well. Then again i see people talking about how they enjoy it and i feel if you have the correct mind set and start studying early it will be fine.

Thank youu a lot. Seems like the difference between GCSE and A Level chem and bio are big
Original post by sarahyi
Thank youu a lot. Seems like the difference between GCSE and A Level chem and bio are big

Don't agree with chem at all, at least definitely not in AS1

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest