The Student Room Group

A level combination

I'm planning to apply to UCL, LSE, Warwick, Nottingham and Durham to read law in 2018. I have yet to decide on my A-level combination, but is History, Maths and Sociology a good combination?

I will only be taking three A-levels, and I know many see sociology as a soft subject so I'm quite worried... Would like to hear your thoughts
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by antelope11
I'm planning to apply to UCL, LSE, Warwick, Nottingham and Durham to read law in 2018. I have yet to decide on my A-level combination, but is History, Maths and Sociology a good combination?

I will only be taking three A-levels, and I know many sees sociology as a soft subject so I'm quite worried... Would like to hear your thoughts

Yes. That combination is good for any university's law course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Did you take 4 AS subjects? What were they?

From people I know who have read law, especially at the calibra of uni you are looking at, it is advisable to take 3 'hard' subjects. Not to say you current combination rules you out as obviously there are other factors (GCSEs, PS, AS grades), but there is likely to be people applying with 4 A levels so you should ensure you are competitive.
Reply 3
Original post by zfp
Did you take 4 AS subjects? What were they?

From people I know who have read law, especially at the calibra of uni you are looking at, it is advisable to take 3 'hard' subjects. Not to say you current combination rules you out as obviously there are other factors (GCSEs, PS, AS grades), but there is likely to be people applying with 4 A levels so you should ensure you are competitive.

I didn't take AS level, im taking it as full A levels. If i change sociology with geography will it help more?
Reply 4
I didn't take AS level, im taking it as full A levels. If i change sociology with geography will it help more?

Only if you think you would enjoy it more AND get a higher grade in it.

Yes, definitely! Then you have 3 which are traditional, facilitating subjects which is great for law.

Naturally, it is still up to you but if I was in your position I would go geo over sociology.
Reply 6
Original post by zfp
Yes, definitely! Then you have 3 which are traditional, facilitating subjects which is great for law.

Naturally, it is still up to you but if I was in your position I would go geo over sociology.

You do not need 3 "facilitating" subjects.
Original post by jneill
You do not need 3 "facilitating" subjects.

It does make for a much stronger application though.

I will only be taking three A-levels, and I know many see sociology as a soft subject so I'm quite worried... Would like to hear your thoughts

Don't do sociology, its a soft subject.Maybe do english literature or a language instead or economics?
Reply 9
Original post by Welshstig
It does make for a much stronger application though.

Getting AAB is not as strong as AAA.

Sociology is absolutely acceptable for Law. Even Trinity, one of the fussiest Cambridge colleges, say's it is acceptable.
Original post by jneill
Getting AAB is not as strong as AAA.

Sociology is absolutely acceptable for Law. Even Trinity, one of the fussiest Cambridge colleges, say's it is acceptable.

Who's to say that OP will get a lower grade? They may find geo easier. Anyway, I was just saying that it would be seen, in general for law, that having more facilitating subjects may be of help to strengthen an overall application. If there are two identical people that have identical interviews etc. why would they pick the person who chose sociology over geo if it is in fact seen as more facilitating.
Reply 11
Original post by Welshstig
Who's to say that OP will get a lower grade? They may find geo easier. Anyway, I was just saying that it would be seen, in general for law, that having more facilitating subjects may be of help to strengthen an overall application. If there are two identical people that have identical interviews etc. why would they pick the person who chose sociology over geo if it is in fact seen as more facilitating.

They might, but they might not. The likelhood is they have orignally picked the 3 subjects they think they will enjoy the most (that's the usual advise on selecting A-levels). By swapping a preferred subject for something else it is more likely they won't do quite as well.

And read this: it actually explains what facilitating subjects are. You DO NOT NEED 3 facilitating A-levels.

http://russellgroup.ac.uk/media/5457/informed-choices-2016.pdf

"You don’t necessarily need to have studied three facilitating subjects at A-level. Some courses require one or two facilitating subjects, whilst for other courses there are no specific subject requirements. If you don’t know what you want to study then it’s a really good rule of thumb that taking two facilitating subjects will keep a wide range of degree courses open to you."

LAW:
ESSENTIAL ADVANCED LEVEL QUALIFICATIONS
Usually none, although a few universities require English.
USEFUL ADVANCED LEVEL QUALIFICATIONS
History; other facilitating subjects.

There really are no essential subjects for Law. Maybe one choice should involve essay or report writing. History gives you good relevant skills for Law but is not essential."

So OP has History = tick "useful"
also Maths = tick "a 2nd facilitating subject"
Sociology is absolutely a good 3rd choice.

Now what does Trinity say?
https://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/applying/a-level-subject-combinations/

"All Arts applicants should offer a minimum of two subjects from Lists A1 and A2. They should also offer a third A-level from Lists A1, A2 and B."

Maths is in List A1
History is in List A2
Sociology is in List B.

A perfect match with Trinity's recommendation.

Bottomline: If OP thinks they will enjoy (and get a better grade) in Sociology than Geography or Economics or whatever they should stick with Sociology.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
They might, but they might not. The likelhood is they have orignally picked the 3 subjects they think they will enjoy the most (that's the usual advise on selecting A-levels). By swapping a preferred subject for something else it is more likely they won't do quite as well.

And read this: it actually explains what facilitating subjects are. You DO NOT NEED 3 facilitating A-levels.

http://russellgroup.ac.uk/media/5457/informed-choices-2016.pdf

"You don’t necessarily need to have studied three facilitating subjects at A-level. Some courses require one or two facilitating subjects, whilst for other courses there are no specific subject requirements. If you don’t know what you want to study then it’s a really good rule of thumb that taking two facilitating subjects will keep a wide range of degree courses open to you."

LAW:
ESSENTIAL ADVANCED LEVEL QUALIFICATIONS
Usually none, although a few universities require English.
USEFUL ADVANCED LEVEL QUALIFICATIONS
History; other facilitating subjects.

There really are no essential subjects for Law. Maybe one choice should involve essay or report writing. History gives you good relevant skills for Law but is not essential."

So OP has History = tick "useful"
also Maths = tick "a 2nd facilitating subject"
Sociology is absolutely a good 3rd choice.

Now what does Trinity say?
https://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/applying/a-level-subject-combinations/

"All Arts applicants should offer a minimum of two subjects from Lists A1 and A2. They should also offer a third A-level from Lists A1, A2 and B."

Maths is in List A1
History is in List A2
Sociology is in List B.

A perfect match with Trinity's recommendation.

Bottomline: If OP thinks they will enjoy (and get a better grade) in Sociology than Geography or Economics or whatever they should stick with Sociology.

Yes, but geography is 'suitable', while sociology is of 'limited suitability'.

Also, just because certain subjects are acceptable, it doesn't mean they are the most competitive. Which is important considering law is a competitive course and the poster is applying to competitive unis.
Reply 13
Original post by zfp
Yes, but geography is 'suitable', while sociology is of 'limited suitability'.

Also, just because certain subjects are acceptable, it doesn't mean they are the most competitive. Which is important considering law is a competitive course and the poster is applying to competitive unis.

Nope.

If universities didn't want applicants with certain subjects, or only wanted a limited set of specific subjects, they would state that on their entry requirements. For law they generally don't. There isn't some hidden unwritten list of requirements that they expect you to guess. There's no magic to this process. It's all straightforward and clear. They want good applicants who enjoy learning and have an interest in the course. That's it. It's quite simple.

The OPs choices are absolutely solid.

Check my posting history. I know what I'm on about. Including advising you about a week ago: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=69266970&postcount=3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending