The Student Room Group

Should women get a day off work for their period?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by XOR_
Only if men get a day/week off for their periods.

What type of periods do men get?
Original post by claireestelle
You don't pick up your own prescriptions? :tongue:

I don't take the heart medication anymore, but my parents used to pick it up for me.

I did used to get something else, and they never charged me. :s-smilie:
Reply 42
Original post by Fadel
Can male workers take a day off because they're tired?

Not an expert, but I'm pretty sure a woman bleeding from her genitals for a week is not equivalent to a man being tired.
Original post by l'etranger
Only if I get the day off each time I get a boner.

Doubt you would get any sympathy for that problem.
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
I don't take the heart medication anymore, but my parents used to pick it up for me.

I did used to get something else, and they never charged me. :s-smilie:

You may have been young enough not to need to pay for them :smile:
Well if men had one, someone may have introduced this a long time ago.
And same if men had to use sanitary products they'd be a lot cheaper etc. etc. (I know off-topic, but sort of relevant)
Original post by chikane
Doubt you would get any sympathy for that problem.

Maybe if I show my female boss it's a big one

Okay. :smile:
It would lead to even fewer women being promoted, and indeed hired at all. A small business given the choice between candidates of a broadly similar calibre will pick the person that won't cost them 12 days of productivity each year. Similarly, it is business reality that sickness rates factor into promotion decisions. As does a person's willingness to forego their legal entitlement to holiday in order to appear dedicated, though where this happens it certainly shouldn't.

Essentially this would just lead to more wage gap argument nonsense, and more generally foster resentment in the workplace. Whether this is fair or not is quite separate to whether or not it is true. You can't do something and pretend you were ignorant to the expected outcome(s).

:dontknow:
Original post by XOR_
Only if men get a day/week off for their periods.

or to watch their team play
Sorry you don't, I mean say you can't take bc but want to take say tanexamic acid to decrease the bleeding then you have to pay for that despite both making periods more comfortable.

You don't have to pay for tranexamic acid if it's prescribed.
Reply 52
tbh i think sometimes yes bc im a 16 year old girl and sometimes my period pain is so bad and i have cramps, back pain, breast pain, migraines etc and it feels like youre about to pass out so heck yaaa.

I am on levythyroxine for my thyroid and am exempt from paying for any medication. I am on Tranaxemic acid which i don't pay for either.
Original post by discobish
So in Zambia women are allowed to take a day off for their period once a month, also known as 'Mother's Day'. :borat:

This day doesn't have to be taken on 'day one' - it can be taken at any time of the month when ladies feel their menstrual cycle is interrupting their work (e.g. stomach cramps/back aches leading up to etc). (Read it in full here)

Unsurprisingly, this has stirred up a lot of criticism from both males and females!

As much as it sounds like a good idea... what if 10 female employees all decide to take their 'Mother's Day' on the same day?! Workplaces could crumble :zomg:

Do you think this law is something that should be practiced in England/other countries? :hmmmm:

Or maybe you're completely against the idea?! :hmmm::hmmm::hmmm::hmmm:

honestly? I'd have expected a more genuine question from a TSR community team member...
Absolutely not. Just think of how much productivity we'd lose if a large proportion of workers took a day off every month. Feminists need to stop playing the victim and get with the real world.
Original post by l'etranger
Maybe if I show my female boss it's a big one

Your male boss might be more interested instead.
Original post by chikane
Your male boss might be more interested instead.

I do get hit on by gay men rather a lot :erm:
If a doctor says they're not fit enough to work then why shouldn't they. I used to have such terrible periods when I was in school, to the point where I couldn't really walk, and I know there are women who suffer with it worse than that. So why should they have to work under such horrible conditions?
this kind of law is not only sexist towards men but it will result in sexist effects against women - de facto, women would be far less employable than men because men wouldn't be entitled to claim a sickie for free, so men would actually put out more work per pound for their company. so it's just regressive on all fronts. just have free competition. if men and women really are equal, women wouldn't even be dreaming of such a degrading and patronising form of assistance which would make them appear like the disabled gender

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending