The Student Room Group

If We Don't Fight All Instances Of Racism, We Will All Face The Consequences

Unless you indulge in pedantic discussions about power dynamics in society, the only conclusion from seeing the video of the man being tortured by 4 psychopaths is that this was a racist attack.

Stand against all forms of bigotry, or face the inevitable backlash.

http://thesatedire.com/news/mentally-man-tortured-needs-check-white-privilege/

Scroll to see replies

How do you intend to fight racism?
Original post by Conceited

The way Morgan Freeman does. Stop talking about it.

Obviously that doesnt mean abandoning the word of law and ignoring large racially motivated crimes like genocide. But "small scale" hate crimes are fertile ground to enrage more people and possibly beget more violence.

As for the guy who was assaulted, it doesnt matter whether it was a racially motivated crime or not, it was a crime. trying to distinguish racial hate crimes from assault and menace is just hate-mongering in itself.
It's funny because I only ever see white conservatives wanting to fight racism and go all SJW when a white person is the victim.

But when it's a non white person suffering from racism, the same group of people try to undermine and claim that it isnt racism.

Sorry if this offends you, but that's me being politically incorrect. Works both ways.
There is no such thing as racism
Reply 5

With my voice, for what it's worth. IF I see examples of of it being dismissed as soem form of high jinks, I will condemn it.
Original post by Damien96
With my voice, for what it's worth. IF I see examples of of it being dismissed as soem form of high jinks, I will condemn it.

So you think people's freedom of speech should be oppressed
Reply 7
Original post by SonoLuma

Obviously that doesnt mean abandoning the word of law and ignoring large racially motivated crimes like genocide. But "small scale" hate crimes are fertile ground to enrage more people and possibly beget more violence.

As for the guy who was assaulted, it doesnt matter whether it was a racially motivated crime or not, it was a crime. trying to distinguish racial hate crimes from assault and menace is just hate-mongering in itself.

Ignoring racists baiting on Twitter is easily ignored, they are attention seekers, torturing someone while screaming "**** white people" I tend to think that might be worthy of comment.

But as you believe commenting on racism is hate mongering I see morality is a confusing concept for you.
Reply 8
Original post by niteninja1
So you think people's freedom of speech should be oppressed

Who's a clever little troll? You are, yes you are.
Nice idea in theory, but in practise, very hard to put into effect.
Reply 10
Original post by whorefromvegas
It's funny because I only ever see white conservatives wanting to fight racism and go all SJW when a white person is the victim.

But when it's a non white person suffering from racism, the same group of people try to undermine and claim that it isnt racism.

Sorry if this offends you, but that's me being politically incorrect. Works both ways.

It doesn't offend me, I understand moral inconsistency is a tricky thing when you live in a binary world. The several assumptions you made must make life very easy for you and I'm happy you can are able to shrug off concerns about the kidnap and torture of a person as political bias.

Racism has a way of snowballing, but I would say that, snow is white and I'm only concerned when it's white.
Reply 11
Original post by TheOtherSide.
Nice idea in theory, but in practise, very hard to put into effect.

What is hard to put into practice?
Who's a clever little troll? You are, yes you are.

No as a libertarian I truly believe in free markets free minds and free speech
Ignoring racists baiting on Twitter is easily ignored, they are attention seekers, torturing someone while screaming "**** white people" I tend to think that might be worthy of comment.

But as you believe commenting on racism is hate mongering I see morality is a confusing concept for you.

Well, I can see that this issue has gotten you all riled up.

So to answer your snarkiness, are you a police officer?

No? You arent? Then youre just getting angry about an injustice that will (hopefully) be raised with the police.

I would understand your attitude if you were the only one who could help him, as it stands all your anger is simply going towards more conflict.

No, morality is clear cut to me. You seem to have completely missed the point of what I have said. You also seem to want a conflict. Judging by your stroppy reply.

Edit: If you are going to reply with how there is a moral imperative to do something about this single case of racism, then you for sure have completely missed the point of what I have said. Try calming down.
(edited 7 years ago)
What is hard to put into practice?

The whole fighting all instances of racism thing.
It doesn't offend me, I understand moral inconsistency is a tricky thing when you live in a binary world. The several assumptions you made must make life very easy for you and I'm happy you can are able to shrug off concerns about the kidnap and torture of a person as political bias.

Racism has a way of snowballing, but I would say that, snow is white and I'm only concerned when it's white.

You havent denied what ive said but unlike you, I am against racism of all groups of people. But when white conservatives like you are only ever concerned when the victim is white, it undermines the entire fight against racism and makes it seem as if whites are somehow superior. This idea has been ingrained in society for 100s of years in the West.

And yes, I am obviously disgusted by this. The poor kid was autistic apparently.
Reply 16
Well, I can see that this issue has gotten you all riled up.

So to answer your snarkiness, are you a police officer?

No? You arent? Then youre just getting angry about an injustice that will (hopefully) be raised with the police.

I would understand your attitude if you were the only one who could help him, as it stands all your anger is simply going towards more conflict.

No, morality is clear cut to me. You seem to have completely missed the point of what I have said. You also seem to want a conflict. Judging by your stroppy reply.

Yes, calling for all to stand against all racism is calling for conflict.

I didn't know I had to be a member of law enforcement to express an opinion on bigotry. I am sure if I searched examples of your history on here you would only have commentted on those rivetting what's your favourite colour topics.

That's genuinely an interesting take on the matter - one I haven't come across.

I personally reckon the best way to fight racism is to challenge pre-established views and disregard those with opinions that are completely unreasonable/plausible. Preaching to 'em fuels their ego, vexes 'em and as you say enrages 'em.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that it shouldn't be talked about. I'd encourage that people should be clear on what racism is and not misuse the term. I was listening to Katie Hopkins the other day on LBC and happened to agree with her about how the word 'racist' is thrown around meaninglessly. When everything is racist, nothing is racist.
That's genuinely an interesting take on the matter - one I haven't come across.

I personally reckon the best way to fight racism is to challenge pre-established views and disregard those with opinions that are completely unreasonable/plausible. Preaching to 'em fuels their ego, vexes 'em and as you say enrages 'em.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that it shouldn't be talked about. I'd encourage that people should be clear on what racism is and not misuse the term. I was listening to Katie Hopkins the other day on LBC and happened to agree with her about how the word 'racist' is thrown around meaninglessly. When everything is racist, nothing is racist.

Exactly the sjw's need to learn that attack helicopter is not a gender.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2014/02/heres-a-list-of-58-gender-options-for-facebook-users/
Most racism comes about now from being waving the banner of fighting racism. The fact is, it's really very simple, we defeated racism decades ago.

It's a thing from the last century. What you see today is an extreme. If you applied the same to fighting obesity, anything but anorexia would be considered morbidly obese. People just keep lowering the bar.

We've reached a point where as far as racism is concerned people should just get on with their lives and sto taking it so far as to even attack peoples opinions, speech, sentiments and even their thoughts.

Most people today who claim or call racism are totalitarian authoritarians on a witch hunt. It reaches the point that they even try to deny that races exist in any fashion biologically and that they even try to deny science or directly observable phenomena.

A great deal of things claimed to be anti-racist are actually racist, for example diversity quotas.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending