The Student Room Group

Wondering whether I made the wrong choice for college course or not

(First time user here so excuse me if my first post is terrible lol)

So I currently study a BTEC Level 3 ICT/IT course and although I love computer's my dream job year's back use to be a "Game Developer" as I love playing games and loved the idea of contributing to the community by developing games or helping a company make games that people could play, my backup job Idea was a "Web Programmer/Developer" as I had work experience with a company who does Web Programming and made an Android game with them.

After a while roughly around Yr11 of UK High School I started to lose hope, I did my research and started to see truly how hard it was to get to developing games and I never researched much about Web Programming or Developing but assumed it was close to Game Developing but a little easier since at the time I had exams to worry about, but I had a little hope left so before I left I had signed up for the "BTEC Level 3 ICT/IT" course with my Career's Adviser as he kept a log of everything such as what I wanted to do and what not, I could of gone to Level 2 but my Career's Adviser said I needed to "Challenge Myself"

So now I'm in college as I did all my interview's and was accepted, Just about to start 2nd Semester of Year 1 of college as we have 9 units per year and already done 5 units etc and the reason for the title of this post is every other day now I walk in and sometimes sit and think "Is this what I really want to be doing?" I mean don't get me wrong I love technology and I enjoy using computers but I've done 2 units in the course that have thrown my hope/faith out the window one was "Procedural Programming (Programming)" and the other was "Web Creation and Design" now for both of these they are yet to be marked as P, M or D etc so I don't know whether I've done terrible or not yet but I find programming hard as heck since I've never done it before and can't seem to remember it whenever I'm away from college and go back (Holidays or Illness) and then in "Web Creation and Design" I can barely make a functional website using Dreamweaver yet alone Notepad, Which throws me off being a Web Designer/Developer.

If we backtrack real quick though, A big interest in my life was and always has been "Music". Not singing since I'm terrible at that but Music Technology such as using software to creating tracks or "beats" in which at my High School I use to do and I enjoyed it a lot most assignments which although they were easy High School Assignments I still got A's and A*'s on them but in Yr11 Music stopped as the Music Teacher not only quit the school but there wasn't enough students interesting to make it a subject teachable at GCSE level and so for a year I was ripped from doing Music but I'm still interested in it.

Which is why I question myself now as just a few months back we walked past the Music Department since we had to change rooms due to our normal room being used as an exam room and the door was open and so I took a peak and all I saw was just Student's with headphones, Creating Beats or Researching and I felt like I should of been there even 2 of my new friends are questioning our current course one nearly left to do a different course but he stayed with computing since the other course had a "Terrible Timetable".

I know Music's probably not going to be an Easy Course and I'm not seeking an easy course but every other day now I'm drawn to changing and I don't know whether I should or not.
Reply 1
You have to think carefully about the future prospects of these subjects. Which one would you find yourself more passionate about, while doing it every day without getting bored and still enjoying it?

Nothing comes easy and of course it's hard in the beginning, you're just getting started, so it's perfectly normal to be struggling with your current course. You have to work hard for what you want to achieve.
Reply 2
Original post by EC
You have to think carefully about the future prospects of these subjects. Which one would you find yourself more passionate about, while doing it every day without getting bored and still enjoying it?

Nothing comes easy and of course it's hard in the beginning, you're just getting started, so it's perfectly normal to be struggling with your current course. You have to work hard for what you want to achieve.

Yeah... I get that.

I mean with Computing if by this time next year I still can't do anything to do with programming or coding then I'll most likely be in some office job :s-smilie:

And with Music, Well as much as I'd love to do it, I'm not even entirely sure what jobs there are that allow you to even do it everyday.

Struggling true but it's harder when none of lecturers even bother to help, I'm not looking for them to hold my hand through the course but being told help on little things would be nice..

Chances are I'm not going to drop but continue trying my best which is worked out so far but for how much longer can it continue to work? We'll only know in the future.
Reply 3
Original post by ConnorW!
Yeah... I get that.

I mean with Computing if by this time next year I still can't do anything to do with programming or coding then I'll most likely be in some office job :s-smilie:

And with Music, Well as much as I'd love to do it, I'm not even entirely sure what jobs there are that allow you to even do it everyday.

Struggling true but it's harder when none of lecturers even bother to help, I'm not looking for them to hold my hand through the course but being told help on little things would be nice..

Chances are I'm not going to drop but continue trying my best which is worked out so far but for how much longer can it continue to work? We'll only know in the future.

They are both competitive domains, so you'd have to be one of the best in the field if you want to make yourself noticed. But you have to start somewhere, you live and learn, you can't be the most experienced and get the most amazing job from the start.

You have to make this decision on your own and think this through, anyway, so I don't think lecturers can be that helpful, but you could ask them for some additional details about the courses.
Reply 4
Original post by EC
They are both competitive domains, so you'd have to be one of the best in the field if you want to make yourself noticed. But you have to start somewhere, you live and learn, you can't be the most experienced and get the most amazing job from the start.

You have to make this decision on your own and think this through, anyway, so I don't think lecturers can be that helpful, but you could ask them for some additional details about the courses.

True.

I haven't asked them for more details since I'm already doing the course, It's the fact that nobody get's any help, So if you have to write some code up as an assignment but know nothing then your screwed etc.

As I've said though, Chances are I'll stick with it, There's not a chance I'll drop it.
Reply 5
True.

I haven't asked them for more details since I'm already doing the course, It's the fact that nobody get's any help, So if you have to write some code up as an assignment but know nothing then your screwed etc.

As I've said though, Chances are I'll stick with it, There's not a chance I'll drop it.

You should ask some of your mates to help you out or you can get prepared together for the assignment. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by EC
You should ask some of your mates to help you out or you can get prepared together for the assignment. :smile:

Yeah that's what I'll do when the times comes, Luckily I've got till 23rd of January till we start a new unit of programming so when that day comes I'll be asking them even though I'm not the worse in the class. :smile:

Their's quite a few people worse than me :biggrin:
Reply 7
Yeah that's what I'll do when the times comes, Luckily I've got till 23rd of January till we start a new unit of programming so when that day comes I'll be asking them even though I'm not the worse in the class. :smile:

Their's quite a few people worse than me :biggrin:

Ahaha, you've got some time on your hands then. Best of luck! :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by EC
Ahaha, you've got some time on your hands then. Best of luck! :tongue:

Yup :biggrin: and Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending