The Student Room Group

EPQ Help!! Art and Fashion

So, my college does EPQ and they announce it and allow students to start in June and it's advised to do it over the summer, which seems like a good idea. So.. i thought i should start thinking of ideas and stuff now just to make it easier for myself when i actually start.

I'm not sure exactly what to do my EPQ about. I was thinking of doing some sort of business course for uni, so i thought it may be appropriate to do something relatable. I have a passion for art, illustrations and fashion and i have been thinking for 2 years to start a business based on that. I was going to open an etsy store as a start in summer, selling handmade jewellery, home decor and clothing.
So, i was thinking to do my EPQ on fashion and jewellery or something.

What do you think of the idea? i wanted to do the etsy shop think for real but now i want to do it for epq and then continue on after. I know it's kind of broad and vague, so i need ideas on what to exactly research or do? Any one who did EPQ, can you tell me what the marks are based on? and if you did anything art of fashion based, can you tell me what to research or just a brief on what you did?

Thanks.
Original post by minionzzz
So, my college does EPQ and they announce it and allow students to start in June and it's advised to do it over the summer, which seems like a good idea. So.. i thought i should start thinking of ideas and stuff now just to make it easier for myself when i actually start.

I'm not sure exactly what to do my EPQ about. I was thinking of doing some sort of business course for uni, so i thought it may be appropriate to do something relatable. I have a passion for art, illustrations and fashion and i have been thinking for 2 years to start a business based on that. I was going to open an etsy store as a start in summer, selling handmade jewellery, home decor and clothing.
So, i was thinking to do my EPQ on fashion and jewellery or something.

What do you think of the idea? i wanted to do the etsy shop think for real but now i want to do it for epq and then continue on after. I know it's kind of broad and vague, so i need ideas on what to exactly research or do? Any one who did EPQ, can you tell me what the marks are based on? and if you did anything art of fashion based, can you tell me what to research or just a brief on what you did?

Thanks.

Hiya,

That sounds like a really good idea. If you look on your exam board's website it will give you a break down of the marks allocated. Although most of the marks are allocated for the written piece of work (or product + report), EPQ is about the research process as a whole so marks are awarded for many other skills such as planning, critically evaluating sources, referencing, evaluating and a final presentation. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by VioletPhillippo
Hiya,

That sounds like a really good idea. If you look on your exam board's website it will give you a break down of the marks allocated. Although most of the marks are allocated for the written piece of work (or product + report), EPQ is about the research process as a whole so marks are awarded for many other skills such as planning, critically evaluating sources, referencing, evaluating and a final presentation. :smile:

Thank you, I just checked out the AQA website and yh it explains the break down of marks.
Do you have any ideas or advice to help me, i feel like fashion (clothes and jewellery) is very broad and i've read how a tighter topic can get your more marks and stuff. I've also ready how others have chosen a type of fashion (e.g. japanese, indian etc.) but i'm not sure what to do. I draw alot of dresses, some are like party wear, some are indian wear and some are just random modern day clothes and i kind of wanted to you know bring them to life if you get what i mean. But i need help constructing a topic title/question and especially coming up with a tighter topic than just fashion. i hope to either present my 'business' from etsy or do a fashion show at the end. Any help/ideas?
Thank you, I just checked out the AQA website and yh it explains the break down of marks.
Do you have any ideas or advice to help me, i feel like fashion (clothes and jewellery) is very broad and i've read how a tighter topic can get your more marks and stuff. I've also ready how others have chosen a type of fashion (e.g. japanese, indian etc.) but i'm not sure what to do. I draw alot of dresses, some are like party wear, some are indian wear and some are just random modern day clothes and i kind of wanted to you know bring them to life if you get what i mean. But i need help constructing a topic title/question and especially coming up with a tighter topic than just fashion. i hope to either present my 'business' from etsy or do a fashion show at the end. Any help/ideas?

Your mark won't depend on the precision of the question but choosing a precise question will make the process so much easier for you and therefore you're more likely to write a better report. Are you thinking of doing it as a product + report or a written essay? :smile:
Reply 4
Your mark won't depend on the precision of the question but choosing a precise question will make the process so much easier for you and therefore you're more likely to write a better report. Are you thinking of doing it as a product + report or a written essay? :smile:

Oh ok. I wasn't told that If it was specific it'd be more pact and to the point, so it'd be greater and easier research . Rather than being so vague.

And I would like to do a product with the 1000 word report.
Btw, what did u do for your epq, if you did it?
Oh ok. I wasn't told that If it was specific it'd be more pact and to the point, so it'd be greater and easier research . Rather than being so vague.

And I would like to do a product with the 1000 word report.
Btw, what did u do for your epq, if you did it?

I did an EPQ this year about the use of nanoparticles in cosmetics as it's been a controversial issue. I know somebody from my school did a fashion blog for their product or you could do something like designing a fashion label or a clothing range. You could stick to a very specific geographical area or just stick to dresses as this is your main interest. I'm just trying to think of some more interesting ideas. :smile:
Reply 6
I did an EPQ this year about the use of nanoparticles in cosmetics as it's been a controversial issue. I know somebody from my school did a fashion blog for their product or you could do something like designing a fashion label or a clothing range. You could stick to a very specific geographical area or just stick to dresses as this is your main interest. I'm just trying to think of some more interesting ideas. :smile:

Wow that sounds really interesting. HAVe you gotten you grades back (if you dont mind sharing)?

Yh well, right now I've began making a website (More of a personal blog) where I share my artwork and outfits and stuff. (It's not live yet) so I couldn't turn that in when it's done. But I wanted to make a jewellery and clothing range or line and sell them on etsy and start some sort of business. I could either turn that in too. But I could also do a fashion show to present my designs.
Which one sounds better? And do u think it'll be possible to do all? (Eventually, possibly in uni I want to achieve all of these but I was thinking I could do it for epq too which means it'll benefit me twice as much) any thoughts?
Wow that sounds really interesting. HAVe you gotten you grades back (if you dont mind sharing)?

Yh well, right now I've began making a website (More of a personal blog) where I share my artwork and outfits and stuff. (It's not live yet) so I couldn't turn that in when it's done. But I wanted to make a jewellery and clothing range or line and sell them on etsy and start some sort of business. I could either turn that in too. But I could also do a fashion show to present my designs.
Which one sounds better? And do u think it'll be possible to do all? (Eventually, possibly in uni I want to achieve all of these but I was thinking I could do it for epq too which means it'll benefit me twice as much) any thoughts?

I got an A* in the end, I think mainly due to putting lots of detail into the production log. Personally, I would either do one or another (pick the one that you think you'll realistically be able to achieve in the time) as the whole process involves a lot of effort. :smile:
Reply 8
I got an A* in the end, I think mainly due to putting lots of detail into the production log. Personally, I would either do one or another (pick the one that you think you'll realistically be able to achieve in the time) as the whole process involves a lot of effort. :smile:

Oh wow. That's amazing, ,congrats x
And thank you for your help
Reply 9
I need help i want to do my EPQ as an artefact because i wanted to art but i couldn't so can someone help me with it. Initially i'm thinking of doing an artefact on a person and showcase their life over time but i'm not sure
(edited 4 years ago)
hi i’m starting my epq soon and i’m also interested in fashion and i’m planning on creating an artefact for my epq. it will probably end up being an outfit designed and made by me or a free profits but i’m not sure what my topic should be. how did you manage to choose what you’re title was and what did you end up doing it on?

Latest