The Student Room Group

How is Psychology A Level?

Is it interesting? How hard are the exams? Do you find the essay style exam questions difficult? What kind of work do you have to do as homework/out of lesson work? Sorry, I just have so many questions!!
1. Yes, it is interesting.
2. That depends on individuals.
3. Nope, the structure is easy to abide by.
4. Essays, further reading and booklets.
Im currently doing AS psychology. I actually did my mock today:smile:
The workload is immense. Im taking AQA and they require me to learn one whole book for the first paper.
There is a mix of essay questions and normal questions. If you did GCSE psychology, it shouldnt be hard at all. Most of it is very similar.
The exam, personally, for someone who did very very little revision yet hoping for an A at AS was very easy. If you know the content thoroughly, you should pass with flying colours. Word of advise, revise along the way and not at the end of the month.
The topics are quite interesting- I learnt so far about depression, phobias, OCD. There is quite a lot of biology involved.
In terms of homework, because there was just so much content, there was homework every lesson. But you should expect this from all your subjects however.
I personally chose Psychology because last year, it was the subject where the highest amount of students achieved A's (and I also got an A* at GCSE so I found it alright)
Hope this helps xx
Original post by AppleB
1. Yes, it is interesting.
2. That depends on individuals.
3. Nope, the structure is easy to abide by.
4. Essays, further reading and booklets.

Original post by megan1fre3
Im currently doing AS psychology. I actually did my mock today:smile:
The workload is immense. Im taking AQA and they require me to learn one whole book for the first paper.
There is a mix of essay questions and normal questions. If you did GCSE psychology, it shouldnt be hard at all. Most of it is very similar.
The exam, personally, for someone who did very very little revision yet hoping for an A at AS was very easy. If you know the content thoroughly, you should pass with flying colours. Word of advise, revise along the way and not at the end of the month.
The topics are quite interesting- I learnt so far about depression, phobias, OCD. There is quite a lot of biology involved.
In terms of homework, because there was just so much content, there was homework every lesson. But you should expect this from all your subjects however.
I personally chose Psychology because last year, it was the subject where the highest amount of students achieved A's (and I also got an A* at GCSE so I found it alright)
Hope this helps xx

This is very helpful info, thank you very much :biggrin:
Original post by choc.chip.cookie
This is very helpful info, thank you very much :biggrin:

No worries, if you have any more questions please ask. Although the other user did a pretty good job doing that :smile:
Is it interesting? How hard are the exams? Do you find the essay style exam questions difficult? What kind of work do you have to do as homework/out of lesson work? Sorry, I just have so many questions!!

1. Not really. Sounds interesting before you do it. You'll mostly be memorising researcher's names and what they did (hundreds of them) along with some theory.
2. Dont know about the new syllabus but I did AQA last year and exams were fairly easy. Online resources are plentiful.
3. Prefer short answer questions but essay questions are fine as long as you prepare
4. You'll mostly be memorising the book. It it less application and more memory. If you have a good memory then go for it.
Original post by qwerty123A
1. Not really. Sounds interesting before you do it. You'll mostly be memorising researcher's names and what they did (hundreds of them) along with some theory.
2. Dont know about the new syllabus but I did AQA last year and exams were fairly easy. Online resources are plentiful.
3. Prefer short answer questions but essay questions are fine as long as you prepare
4. You'll mostly be memorising the book. It it less application and more memory. If you have a good memory then go for it.

Ok, thanks, I'd say I have a pretty good memory so I might take it :smile:
Psychology is the most boringest subject ever in my opinion, i do edexcel. In terms of exams its not hard but just very boring

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8

I'm teaching myself a level psychology and I can tell you that so far it's really interesting and I would argue that it's the easiest of all my a-levels. I somewhat agree that there is a ton to learn however it sticks in your head a lot easier if you find it interesting. I'm aiming for an A, doing the exam next year and will tell you how I got on if you want to know :biggrin:

P.s I honestly find it pretty easy despite having to do double the workload of most other people as I'm learning both the AS and A2 syllabus together
Original post by FNugent
I'm teaching myself a level psychology and I can tell you that so far it's really interesting and I would argue that it's the easiest of all my a-levels. I somewhat agree that there is a ton to learn however it sticks in your head a lot easier if you find it interesting. I'm aiming for an A, doing the exam next year and will tell you how I got on if you want to know :biggrin:

P.s I honestly find it pretty easy despite having to do double the workload of most other people as I'm learning both the AS and A2 syllabus together

Thank you :smile: and yes i would love to find out how you do in your exams!!!

Yep it is interesting and no, the exams aren't hard. It's an A Level which anyone can get a B+ in my opinion. Nope, the essay questions aren't difficult, the highest marked essay question is 16 marks. Your teacher will teach you how to structure these, they're not difficult at all. All you really need to do for this course is know the content and master an essay structure. I'm currently in my second year of studying it at A Level and what I do for revision is just prepare top-mark essays, as all the content you would need to know for each possible question would be in there so you don't really need to do much else. The homework you'll be given depends on your school/teacher but in my school, homework is usually to do a 16 mark essay. I'm not sure what you mean by out of lesson work, other than revision there's nothing else.

Hope this helps you decide.

:smile:
Psychology is definitely my favourite subject,
It's very interesting as it's easily applicable to real life
The mock exams I've done so far have been okay, nothing too hard, short answer questions with some essay questions - which aren't hard once you get to know how to structure them. My teacher, as much as I hate to admit it, has made me fully understand how to structure these, we are only a term in and I'm getting near enough full marks. If you will be on AQA, the textbook with the picture of the girl with green hair on is really really helpful with structuring these essays (once you understand the layout.)
To revise I make flash cards, my teacher also provides us with booklets with lots of worksheets for each section - these are really helpful. Watching YouTube videos also helps a lot.
I don't think it's hard remembering the different researchers names, as you do keep going back to them! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest