The Student Room Group

Should i take A Level chemistry?

At the moment, my a level choices are maths, further maths, physics and French but I'm now thinking maybe I should not take further maths and take chemistry instead?

I'd like to either do engineering (more specifically aerospace) or physics at uni or end up going a completely different route and do foreign languages.

I originally hated chemistry, and I still don't like it as much as physics and biology but it's still very high on my list. I'm predicted an A* and i got that in my mocks (i got 102/119 - it was my best science) but I'm worried that I will find the a level very boring and hard? From what I've heard, it's extremely difficult.

I just know that maths physics and chemistry are a good group of choices that go well with each other and i find some aspects of chemistry fascinating but to be honest, still very boring sometimes too.

What should I do?
Original post by randomteenx
At the moment, my a level choices are maths, further maths, physics and French but I'm now thinking maybe I should not take further maths and take chemistry instead?

I'd like to either do engineering (more specifically aerospace) or physics at uni or end up going a completely different route and do foreign languages.

I originally hated chemistry, and I still don't like it as much as physics and biology but it's still very high on my list. I'm predicted an A* and i got that in my mocks (i got 102/119 - it was my best science) but I'm worried that I will find the a level very boring and hard? From what I've heard, it's extremely difficult.

I just know that maths physics and chemistry are a good group of choices that go well with each other and i find some aspects of chemistry fascinating but to be honest, still very boring sometimes too.

What should I do?

Hiya,

If you're really keen on doing engineering or physics then, unless you're thinking about doing chemical engineering, I would do maths and further maths. Personally, I find chemistry a lot easier than physics conceptually but there is a lot of content to learn (takes up a lot of time!) Take the ones that you think you'll enjoy, type not to base it too much on mock results as anything could happen in the real thing! :smile:
Reply 2
I took chemistry instead of further maths at alevel and now I'm studying mechanical engineering in uni and really regret it. A lot of the work we do in the math lectures uses stuff people learnt in further maths and I feel really behind. For example, in further maths you spend weeks learning about complex numbers but in uni I had 2 hours on it... the chemsitry does come in handy in some topics like thermodynamics but I think further maths is the much better option!
Reply 3
I also found chemistry really difficult, (especially the organic chemistry which has NOTHING to do with engineering/physics and takes up half the course) was by far my worst alevel
Chemistry is one of the hardest A levels- a lot of people fail it. So don't choose it unless you're good at it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tbf me telling you that the sciences (Physics, Chemistry and Biology) is extremely hard will probably not change anything for you- but my friend who got all A*s in GCSE got UUUU AS level, and he took all sciences. Just put it into perspective.

But if you really enjoy it, go for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Roundhead
Tbf me telling you that the sciences (Physics, Chemistry and Biology) is extremely hard will probably not change anything for you- but my friend who got all A*s in GCSE got UUUU AS level, and he took all sciences. Just put it into perspective.

But if you really enjoy it, go for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's just not true unless he went from 4 hours revision a night to 50% attendance and no revision lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cluster1
That's just not true unless he went from 4 hours revision a night to 50% attendance and no revision lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok thank you for telling me my friend who I went to college with, who you don't know didn't get UUUU in his AS levels. Much appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I'm currently on year 2 of studying biology, chemistry and psychology. I definitely find chemistry the hardest, but yet again I don't take physics and maths, but many people I know who do say that chemistry is the hardest. However, I don't think that a course being percieved as hard should put people off... It's doable, otherwise people would never do it, and so if the difficulty of the course is what's putting you off I would say that as long as you are willing to put some work in throughout the year you should go for it :smile:
Original post by Roundhead
Ok thank you for telling me my friend who I went to college with, who you don't know didn't get UUUU in his AS levels. Much appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe he did, but he didn't get all A*s in his GCSEs unless he as I said didn't attend lessons, the jump really isn't as large as it is made out to be.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest