The Student Room Group

Why are people are judgmental towards the unemployment?

Why are people so judgmental and stwretypical towards the ones who are unemployed? If they opened their minds the litteliest bit not everyone chose to be in that position.

The fact I've got autism and suffer from depression/anxiety is the reason why I was entitled to claim ESA. I've tried applying to uni 2 years ago to study photography after I got my level 3 but they all turned me down so I lost my passion in photography because of it. I don't have a social life and I never had a girlfriend but hopefully one day I'll get one. During my last year I was going through depression and social pressure when it comes to trying to get attention from people at college especially from girls which I think contributed to the reason why I'm in this position today. I've been claiming ESA since late 2014 when I was still 19 and I'm 22 now but hopefully this year I'll come on it but the problem is I never worked in my life. So yeah I guess I wasted a good few important years of my life doing nothing but feeling sorry for myself.

I think it's horrible that there are those kind of people who take advantage out the system but sadly because of them, the media and the tv broadcasting shows like benefits steet, benefit scrounger etc group all of us as scum, fraud, waste of tax money etc.
British people have this thing about looking down on the unemployed and acting superior because they pay their taxes as if it's voluntary. I work with people with disabilities, illnesses and severe mental health problems helping them claim disability benefits and on the exterior a lot of them seem okay, even to people that know them. A lot of people don't realise what they have to deal with on the quiet. If you're not visibly disabled, you don't deserve any type of benefits and should be working, in some people's eyes.
Original post by jamierobinson94
Why are people so judgmental and stwretypical towards the ones who are unemployed? If they opened their minds the litteliest bit not everyone chose to be in that position.

The fact I've got autism and suffer from depression/anxiety is the reason why I was entitled to claim ESA. I've tried applying to uni 2 years ago to study photography after I got my level 3 but they all turned me down so I lost my passion in photography because of it. I don't have a social life and I never had a girlfriend but hopefully one day I'll get one. During my last year I was going through depression and social pressure when it comes to trying to get attention from people at college especially from girls which I think contributed to the reason why I'm in this position today. I've been claiming ESA since late 2014 when I was still 19 and I'm 22 now but hopefully this year I'll come on it but the problem is I never worked in my life. So yeah I guess I wasted a good few important years of my life doing nothing but feeling sorry for myself.

I think it's horrible that there are those kind of people who take advantage out the system but sadly because of them, the media and the tv broadcasting shows like benefits steet, benefit scrounger etc group all of us as scum, fraud, waste of tax money etc.

A lot of people will take drastic measures to get free money, believe me in the world of work there a lot of people who do this too not just those who cheat the benefits system.

Also having worked in the Jobcentre I have seen people who have a negative attitude towards work and they just don't genuinely want to get a job because they're given money without having to do anything for it!
Well actually they have to actively look for a job to receive their 'reward.'
Basically they just treat it as free money.

Anyway after reading your lengthy post, this is why work is important to overcome these feelings.
There are (and were) many people who struggle like you socially and hence why you need to get out there.
Do some volunteering in a charity shop to build these skills and overcome these fears, this is the only way to do it.
This is why people do it, not just to build experience, but to actually build confidence with it.
I personally used to be like you, really shy and got a little depressed but thats another story that I don't want to drag on.
But once I started work, my confidence improved gradually and have met so many people along the way. :smile:

I watched a programme just before the Christmas break (can't remember what it was called) but it had an autistic man who struggled to get a job and get on with life in general. He started a work trial in an office (again can't remember all of the details) and at the end of the programme he got the job in the end because he underestimated his abilities not only to himself but to his manager too!
So that is something positive.

Overall employment is important in life because you will be able to gain confidence and meet wide range of people from all walks of life.
(edited 7 years ago)
I think a large problem is the media. Newspapers and TV never focus on people who truly are seeking work, their main focus is on the people who cheat the benefit system for money. Those people who are too lazy to work and and happy that the taxpayer will fund their lifestyle, this is more of a scandal which will draw attention and sell newspapers.

There was a recent program where a TV show gave £26000 to a family on benefits in return for them signing off benefits. Some people really wanted to work and they put all their efforts into finding their own businesses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending