The Student Room Group

Do you think people have really high standards when it comes to finding a partner?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Angry Bird
I know what I want and if I can't have what I want then I'll just stay single

I've never ever understood you from ur posts at all :lol:..if that makes sense ?:rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tasha_tah
I've never ever understood you from ur posts at all :lol:..if that makes sense ?:rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile

i get that quite often
i get that quite often

U ever wonder why ? :holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
U ever wonder why ? :holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

im a lunatic
im a lunatic

No but..
Omdss exactly what I mean :ahee:
U seem kinda cool tho :tongue: hahahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
Original post by samiz20891
Agreed, but to an extent it is escapism, if you have a hard life or are feeling down, this type of film/tv can be a good way to keep hopes up and feel like you are living in the characters shoes, even for a short time. When it is concerning, is when people try to use the same ideas in real life and get drawn into that high perfect expectations which will often not exist.

Absolutely correct, the one word that sums it all up is "escapism". You find that when you are very busy with work/study and deadlines you tend to watch tv less and less but when going through problems in life generally, they can be a great way to briefly escape reality. I have actually learnt a few things when it comes to friendships, social protocols in many situations watch tv shows
Original post by CleverSquirrel
very wise words indeed!

The irony is that this is rom-com plot number 1. Chase after whoever, but not realise that the person of your dreams is right in front of you all along.

It's just as escapist and unrealistic.
Original post by UWS
I've pretty much lowered all my standards and it's still not happening :rofl:

Even with your great Indian accent :ahee:
Don't think this is necessarily the case at all. For a few people perhaps but not the majority. For myself and friends/family I don't know anyone who would think like that.
Reply 69
yes, people are too picky nowadays ...although women are by far the worst offenders.
every female who does online dating [even if they don't like to admit it] typically has this mentality:

https://s27.postimg.org/xmnwuliwj/toopicky_C.png

having said all this women are not entirely to blame for their mindset, the fact that men are so god damn thirsty and will literally aspire to have sex with anything online that identifies as female is what feeds this attitude.

One can only be as picky as their options.
And through my research I have noticed generally that the smaller the city, the less choosey the women are. Big cities just lead to people having more choices, more choices = more pickiness and higher standards .... in smaller towns and cities the bar is generally set lower than the bigger cities.

smartphones and the rise of internet dating have done more harm than good for most men. Back in the day, you could go out and meet a single girl at the bar, get her number .....and perhaps you only had one or two other guys she had also given her number to and that was your competition. Nowadays you meet a girl at the bar, you get the one or two other guys at the bar as competition ....and a lot of the time now you have to compete with about 300 guys on Tinder that she's matching with also.

dating really isn't dating anymore for most people, it's more like shopping.........
i dont anymore i go out with anyone now but when i was younger i used to be more fussy and rejected a lot of guys which i feel bad about now but whatever
I guess I didn't realise until recently that I have ridiculously high standards, which is strange since I'm no 10 myself haha. My sister pointed out that I have pied off pretty much every guy friend I have which as I said, I was completely oblivious to this. So yes, whether it's a conscious decision or not, people do have a high standard when looking for a partner, regardless of the whole "don't judge a book by its cover" unfortunately, sometimes looks play a much bigger role in finding "true love" than people may think.
No but..
Omdss exactly what I mean :ahee:
U seem kinda cool tho :tongue: hahahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks
Original post by UWS
I've pretty much lowered all my standards and it's still not happening :rofl:

Yeahhhh, that`s why you should have standards in my opinion even if they are higher than most people`s. I know a lot of people who lower their standards and end up MARRYING indecent people. So yeah I think standards are a sign of intelligence.
I have highish standards and honestly I won`t settle for anyone less than who I desire. I wouldn`t say I`m oblivious to people around me as I rarely see people I want to date but that`s because they don`t do it for me personally. I`d rather wait for the right person than to be in a relationship for the sake of being in a relationship :biggrin:
oh dear!! i dont think i'll ever get tinder- i honestly dont see the point :rofl:

It depends kinda how in depth you go. Like most people I've watched use it will see the one photo, and then immediately nope or like based just off that. Me, if they look bad, insta-nope. If they're good, tap on the profile, anything a bit bad in that little paragraph about themselves, nope. I'd then proceed to look through all the photos they put up (most tended to do 3 or so) and if one looked significantly worse than the initial first one, nope.

As you claim to be a pure personality person I doubt you'd get much use, all it means is you end up with more reasons to swipe left.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
It depends kinda how in depth you go. Like most people I've watched use it will see the one photo, and then immediately nope or like based just off that. Me, if they look bad, insta-nope. If they're good, tap on the profile, anything a bit bad in that little paragraph about themselves, nope. I'd then proceed to look through all the photos they put up (most tended to do 3 or so) and if one looked significantly worse than the initial first one, nope.

As you claim to be a pure personality person I doubt you'd get much use, all it means is you end up with more reasons to swipe left.

i see. im sorry it didnt work out for you :s-smilie:

do you think so?
Reply 76
I think most people are temped to play a bit above their league. Even the attractive set get rejections because they go for someone even more desirable than themselves. This said you find that you can't always have what you desire and attractiveness has many dimensions. I tend to have two levels of loving interest, those I will actively (and sometimes foolishly) pursue and those where I need some interest from the girl to get me interested.
Original post by Zarek
I think most people are temped to play a bit above their league. Even the attractive set get rejections because they go for someone even more desirable than themselves. This said you find that you can't always have what you desire and attractiveness has many dimensions. I tend to have two levels of loving interest, those I will actively (and sometimes foolishly) pursue and those where I need some interest from the girl to get me interested.

i know what you mean! and yeah attractivness is quite subjective.
and yeah i agree with you to an extent.....

but sadly ive seen people comment on things like this...

i once went out with my ex, and i overheard a girl in the restuarant say 'how did she manage to get a guy like him'........ you can see how that must have dropped my self esteem and confidence too- made me doubt why i was dating a guy more attractive..out of my league.....
Like, most people these days expect to find a guy/girl of their dreams and so have certain expectations from them?
and so have such high standards, but are completely oblivious to those around them?

like the person of their dreams could be stood right in front of them but because of their expectations and high standards- they neglect them and look for a hot/good looking number 10 or something? they dont look at compatibitly :rolleyes:

i think if people opened their eyes and dont have very high standards, and just followed their heart then maybe they wont complain about being lonely and not finding anyone?

What do you think? :hmmm:

Spoiler

mate it's right here...
Original post by 0to100
mate it's right here...

hahaha ooooops! i tagged you in another one too but that one got deleted! i got confused :rofl:

anyway what do you think?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending