The Student Room Group

Chances of receiving an Unconditional with These Grades?

Now, I know hope breeds eternal misery, but that does not stop me from wondering whether I have a chance to receive an unconditional offer. The course I have applied for is English and Creative writing at the following universities:

University of Birmingham (top choice) (AAA)
University of Nottingham(AAA-AAB)
University of East Anglia(AAA)
Royal Holloway (AAA-ABB)
University of Aberdeen (BBB)

My (unfortunate) grades are as follows:
AS: BCCE
(english, religious studies, film and history) I am re-sitting two modules for both film and RS.
Predictions: AAA
GCSE: 1A* 2A 5B 3C (
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by EstelleAntonia
Now, I know hope breeds eternal misery, but that does not stop me from wondering whether I have a chance to receive an unconditional offer. The course I have applied for is English and Creative writing at the following universities:

University of Birmingham (top choice)
University of Nottingham
University of East Anglia
Royal Holloway
University of Aberdeen

(english, religious studies, film and history) I am resitting two modules for both film and RS.

Your chances are quite high actually you need to look at the course entry requirements and you'll have a fairly good idea of what is expected from you. Even if you end up failing to meet the entry requirement you can still get admitted. Sometimes courses with low-intake of students accept candidates with lower grades.
Afaik unconditional offers are only for people who have already got the grades (eg because they've taken a gap year or are a mature student).
Original post by Mistletoe
Afaik unconditional offers are only for people who have already got the grades (eg because they've taken a gap year or are a mature student).

Im talking about unconditional if firmed offers
Reply 4

Royal Holloway (AAA-ABB)

(english, religious studies, film and history) I am re-sitting two modules for both film and RS.

Don't take this as gospel but it's unlikely. Uni's make these choices based not only on grades but obviously they're majorly significant. They can see your AS grades and how they're a few grades lower than your predictions but that's not gonna destroy your chances of getting in at all obviously. Your GCSE grades also factor into it. Uni's tend to offer unconditional, in general (I've seen exceptions) to students that are consistently obtaining high grades (meeting the requirements and above - say for an AAA course - AAA at AS - maybe a B - A's and A*'s at GCSE. They also love a smashing PS and reference. Expect conditionals and Aberdeen may offer an unconditional depending on your application in its entirety.

Good luck
Original post by Just4
Don't take this as gospel but it's unlikely. Uni's make these choices based not only on grades but obviously they're majorly significant. They can see your AS grades and how they're a few grades lower than your predictions but that's not gonna destroy your chances of getting in at all obviously. Your GCSE grades also factor into it. Uni's tend to offer unconditional, in general (I've seen exceptions) to students that are consistently obtaining high grades (meeting the requirements and above - say for an AAA course - AAA at AS - maybe a B - A's and A*'s at GCSE. They also love a smashing PS and reference. Expect conditionals and Aberdeen may offer an unconditional depending on your application in its entirety.

Good luck

Birmingham has an 'offer calculator' on it's website to say if you're likely to get an unconditional - try putting your grades into that.
Reply 6
Why do teachers predict AAA, when you have a C at AS, how the hell will that become an A.
Original post by LeapingLucy
Birmingham has an 'offer calculator' on it's website to say if you're likely to get an unconditional - try putting your grades into that.

I have done and it said conditional, although I was still wondering if there's a chance for an unconditional as some people who have used it got 'unconditional offer likely' and only got a conditional. I was hoping it might depend more on personal statement and reference.
Original post by ho_ho_ho
Why do teachers predict AAA, when you have a C at AS, how the hell will that become an A.

Im resitting two of my modules in each subject.
Reply 9
Im resitting two of my modules in each subject.

Ok fair enough. Though I feel they should remove the stupid prediction system, because it is frankly meaningless. In reality given your AS's, the chances of you getting AAA would be slim (unless you had ECs). Though people have done it, and you could as well, it's still technically possible.
I'm sure you're right about personal statement being important - I know people who've applied to Birmingham with pretty much identical grades, but only one got an unconditional, so it must have come down to PS
Original post by ho_ho_ho
Ok fair enough. Though I feel they should remove the stupid prediction system, because it is frankly meaningless. In reality given your AS's, the chances of you getting AAA would be slim (unless you had ECs). Though people have done it, and you could as well, it's still technically possible.

Ahh, could I ask, what level are you? Are you doing A Levels, in HE, etc??
Reply 12
Ahh, could I ask, what level are you? Are you doing A Levels, in HE, etc??

Actually A LOT older than you, I'm a first year PhD student in Finance. I did my A levels back in 2008 to 2010.
Reply 13

Royal Holloway (AAA-ABB)

Unconditional If Firm offers are given primarily in the interests of the university not necessarily the student. They are a marketing strategy to guarantee bums on seats by persuading students to Firm when, without the Unconditional "bribe", the student would prefer to make a different choice.

Disregard the Unconditional aspect of any offer from your final decision making.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending