The Student Room Group

What are the main issues affecting higher education students today?

I'm looking for input to help me with a job interview and would really like feedback from students currently studying in higher education. Let me know the main issues you've faced, so far, this academic year; where did you go for advice or support? Do you feel your higher education institution provides you with the right kind of support? What more could your HEI do for you?

All comments on this topic would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks from an old-timer student from the 90s.

XX

Scroll to see replies

Not in HE anymore but surely the main issue is debt, exacerbated by the abolition of maintenance grants to poorer students.
I totally agree. The financial impact of higher education was a big concern for me when I was a student. I wonder how many people have dismissed HE purely due to the amount of debt they would acquire?

Is the cost of higher education too overwhelming these days or are today's students becoming more commercially savvy? For example, are more students choosing subjects that are most likely to lead to the highest paid jobs?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Overthehill77
I'm looking for input to help me with a job interview and would really like feedback from students currently studying in higher education. Let me know the main issues you've faced, so far, this academic year; where did you go for advice or support? Do you feel your higher education institution provides you with the right kind of support? What more could your HEI do for you?

All comments on this topic would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks from an old-timer student from the 90s.

XX

I reckon it's feminism
Original post by FNPC II
I reckon it's feminism

Can you expand on that for me? From what perspective do you see Feminism as one of the main issues?
Maintenance loan dilema.

Just because your parents may be well off, doesn't mean you are, and they may refuse to help you out money-wise.
Original post by FNPC II
Feminism is something which nowadays encompasses a lot of extreme liberalism, it's very common in American universities and is spreading over here through things like supocial media, mainly YouTube, tumblr and Twitter. It teaches closed thought and a lack of personal strength, I will expand...

These people are taught that they need to hide behind a group, that they aren't strong and independent human beings, even though they are. They are told they are violated and harassed so much, they they start to believe it's really true. They have desensitised the words harrassment and rape so that real victims are left feeling like just another one In the pot, and are less likely to speak out because of this. This is made worse but the vast amount of false rape allegations (Especially in the US).

The initial meaning of the feminist movement was to make women have equal rights to men, this has now been achieved in western countries, so now, they should start helping people in countries such as Uganda or Afghanistan were women are genuinely oppressed. Notice how now gender equality has been achieved, they have got bored and started focusing on other things, they want yo feel outside the social norms, and so now have created about 400000 genders, save spaces and man hating groups, just because they want attention and to be different.

I think I can see your concerns. Have you experienced this sort of "extremism" whilst studying? I have seen a lot of references to the concept of "safe space" at Universities but I am unsure if this is something that the media is exaggerating. Do you feel the issue you have raised is connected to this notion of "safe space"?
[QUOTE="Nirvana1989-1994;69399648"]Maintenance loan dilema.

Just because your parents may be well off, doesn't mean you are, and they may refuse to help you out money-wise.[/QUOTE

Is the maintenance loan, still a debt that has to be paid back, as opposed to a "grant"? I didn't realise that some loans may only be made available to students from low income families?

What are students doing to cover increased tuition fees and living costs?

Has your HE been supportive or been able to give you advice that has helped you with your finance issues?
[QUOTE="Overthehill77;69400526"]
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
Maintenance loan dilema.

Just because your parents may be well off, doesn't mean you are, and they may refuse to help you out money-wise.[/QUOTE

Is the maintenance loan, still a debt that has to be paid back, as opposed to a "grant"? I didn't realise that some loans may only be made available to students from low income families?

What are students doing to cover increased tuition fees and living costs?

Has your HE been supportive or been able to give you advice that has helped you with your finance issues?

As a student from a low income background studying in London I get 9000 for tuition and 10702 for maintenance which I pay back.

My biggest issue is freedom of speech and ideas on university campuses
Original post by CPNC Backwards
Hey it's me again, the mods deleted my account for some reason XD

Yeah I have been affected by this, been called things for having different opinions. They are much like the mods really, abuse their power to shut you down if they don't like your opinions.

If you have time, go on YouTube and type in Lauren Southern slutwalk, some really INteresting vids.

Lauren southern is brilliant
Original post by niteninja1
Lauren southern is brilliant

Kid, she is really Good looking, really clever and really funny
The fees and loans are a non-issue. The maintanance loan is more than enough to live on for any sensible person, students only moan about it because they just waste all of it on luxuries and end up with nothing left for food and rent.

The real problem is this whole authoritarian "safe-space" culture brought about by those on the far-left. Freedom of speech just does not exist in universities and if you say just one thing that isn't perfectly politically correct then the left-wing bullies will demonise you.
Len, are you a student? Are you currently living on a maintenance loan? Do you think it will be easy for people to pay back a debt of £30,000.00 plus once they gain full-time employment?

I really want to hear from students in higher education now, to understand what their views are.
Original post by Overthehill77
Len, are you a student? Are you currently living on a maintenance loan? Do you think it will be easy for people to pay back a debt of £30,000.00 plus once they gain full-time employment?

I really want to hear from students in higher education now, to understand what their views are.

WHat sort of job are you applying for - the issues that affect students as it applies to you job will vary enormously between different roles.

Quick Reply

Latest