The Student Room Group

Should women get a day off work for their period?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Waiser
Well, it can be done. But expect even lower pay rates. Women already have wage gap due to obvious reasons such as pregnancies which causes a little less experience in the industry therefor lower pay and a few others. But i would say no.

I don't see why it should affect pay rates. It's a paid holiday and should be treated in the normal way as such.
Original post by Bright_Gift
How does getting pregnant make someone less experienced??? Please explain

You lose 0.5 - 1 year worth of experience working when you are away on maternity leave when compared to someone who didn't.

In my eyes if someone comes along and has 9 years work experience and someone has 10, it shouldn't matter, but it actually matters an awful lot.

But that is a whole different story/issue.
Original post by Twinpeaks
Maternity leave? Absences due to doctors appointment on the run up to the maternity leave? And then putting in less hours on return? Even if they continue to work full time they are less inclined to put in overtime, work weekends etc due to their commitments.

It cannot be denied that having children can put mothers at a disadvantage in regards to career progression.

Yah got it thanks
Original post by Inexorably
If women have managed to go to school, college and university 30/31 days a month on their period, why does this suddenly need to change when they enter work?

If enough whine for such a thing, the day should be unpaid.

I've taken days off school etc. before because period pain was so bad. Most girls who I've spoken to about the issue have at some point too.
Original post by Craghyrax
Yes it should, but only for women with doctor's letters confirming that they experience severe pain on periods. I know people who have very mild periods. Others, like me, ended up literally screaming in agony while horizontal with contractions :pinch: In my case I think it's wrong to have to have days like that come out of my holiday and paycheck when I can't help my gender.
The same applies for people with disabilities and chronic illnesses. We can do more to make provisions for them.

Well then they should expect less employers offering jobs to people who, at a moments notice, can leave work without reprimand, and offer jobs to more people who don't need such privileges.
If you offered me a choice between not having periods, or having periods but getting a day off from work every month, I'd choose the former.

This isn't unfair or threatening towards men.
Original post by Airmed
Birth control doesn't always stop your periods :sad: And I would know, I've been on about 4 different ones (two pill ones, the implant, and the injection) and all have ****ed up my already incredibly erratic and painful periods :cry2:

I'm really sorry :frown:, does anything else help with the pain? Painkillers etc? :hugs:
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
I'm really sorry :frown:, does anything else help with the pain? Painkillers etc? :hugs:

Nope, and I have prescription painkillers. :sad: I'm a walking medical disaster :rofl:
Original post by Airmed
Nope, and I have prescription painkillers. :sad: I'm a walking medical disaster :rofl:

I'm really sorry, periods can be really awful. :frown: :hugs: :hugs:
Original post by Fadel
Can male workers take a day off because they're tired?

Can you take a class in female anatomy, because you clearly don't know how periods work?
I'm really sorry, periods can be really awful. :frown: :hugs: :hugs:

Well, been dealing with it for 10 years now, and what, got about another twenty five or so years to go? (This is me hoping I hit menopause when I'm in my 40s, oh please, Lord, let me). Best get on with it
Original post by elen90
If you offered me a choice between not having periods, or having periods but getting a day off from work every month, I'd choose the former.

This isn't unfair or threatening towards men.

Of course, but it may be threatening towards women. The question becomes this: will women receive a net benefit from the extra sick days or a net loss from the higher chance of discrimination in recruitment? An employer may be less inclined to hire women over men if it means additional expenses. This is unlikely to occur in high-level positions but may occur in low to mid level positions, and particularly in large companies for whom hiring thousands of women will involve a significant expense in sick days relative to hiring men.

It seems fair to me that women ought to have a higher number of sick days, but will it actually be beneficial to them in the long-term? We cannot blame employers for wanting to minimise costs nor can this discrimination ever be stopped (except perhaps by gender quotas, which are another can of worms). In low-skilled jobs where applicants will differ very little from one another, employers may tend towards hiring men. What's the solution?
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I don't see why it should affect pay rates. It's a paid holiday and should be treated in the normal way as such.

He is referring to the pay gap on average. If one gender takes more time off work than another - and does so by law - then in the long-term it may contribute to the pay gap, both in terms of slower progression of women within their careers and in terms of discrimination in recruitment.
Nope, we can still live life as normal while we're on our period.
Just take some pain killers and get on with it!!!
Reply 134
This is the dumbest idea I've ever heard.
I think we should all work less anyway
Original post by yudothis
It's a legal privilege to make up for a biological disadvantage.

so you're saying that women are disadvantaged? so they're not equal to men in their capabilities? okay, well you can say that, but it's not in line with equality. I just saying - this is why women will never work as hard and as effective as men if they aren't even able to in the first place.

also: who is even asking for this law?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JustThatStudent
Nope, we can still live life as normal while we're on our period.
Just take some pain killers and get on with it!!!

I wish it was that simple. It really isn't. Not when you can't walk or when you've thrown up.

Just because you manage, doesn't mean everyone else can. I can sometimes manage and sometimes can't.
Original post by Airmed
Well, been dealing with it for 10 years now, and what, got about another twenty five or so years to go? (This is me hoping I hit menopause when I'm in my 40s, oh please, Lord, let me). Best get on with it

You can do it! :hugs:

Hopefully they'll create better painkillers or something. :smile:
You can do it! :hugs:

Hopefully they'll create better painkillers or something. :smile:

I have painkillers they give to people who suffer serious whiplash in car accidents, and they don't work :/ I think my body just hates medication

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending