The Student Room Group

What is my first language

The thing is I was born a French speaking country but I grew up in England.

Is English my first language
Reply 1
Original post by Mr revision

Yes. Why not?
Reply 2

What language did you start speaking first or were more fluent in or speak at home??
Original post by kkboyk
What language did you start speaking first or were more fluent in or speak at home??

Well I speak English at home with my family but sometime speak French to my parents
Reply 4
I thought this was the "what language do you think in?" guy..

It would be the first language that you learned fluently. Sounds like English to me if French is only spoken sometimes...
Reply 5
both maybe?

It's whatever you say it is. If you feel it is English, then English is your first language.

You could have been born in Japan and grown up there but if your parents spoke say German with you and you felt German was your first language, then German would be your first language.
Original post by yudothis
It's whatever you say it is. If you feel it is English, then English is your first language.

You could have been born in Japan and grown up there but if your parents spoke say German with you and you felt German was your first language, then German would be your first language.

Cheers
Whatever you learned first. If you grew up in a bilingual home then you may have two first languages in which case if you have to put it on a job app or whatever write the language your employer will prefer e.g. for a normal job in the UK write English as your first language so no one doubts your ability to speak fluently.
Reply 9
The language you started speaking first.

If you spoke both at the same time, then I guess the only way to know would be for YOU to decide which one you are more proficient in.

Quick Reply