The Student Room Group

Should women get a day off work for their period?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Airmed
I have painkillers they give to people who suffer serious whiplash in car accidents, and they don't work :/ I think my body just hates medication

They must be pretty strong. :s-smilie:

:hugs:
Original post by Tiger Rag
I wish it was that simple. It really isn't. Not when you can't walk or when you've thrown up.

Just because you manage, doesn't mean everyone else can. I can sometimes manage and sometimes can't.

It's a very small percentage of women who experience periods as you've described. That doesn't mean we should be entitled to a day off. I think that that will just exacerbate the inequality between the sexes.
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
They must be pretty strong. :s-smilie:

If only they worked :moon:

Original post by sleepysnooze
so you're saying that women are disadvantaged? so they're not equal to men in their capabilities? okay, well you can say that, but it's not in line with equality. I just saying - this is why women will never work as hard and as effective as men if they aren't even able to in the first place.

also: who is even asking for this law?

Having severe pains for a day or two every single month is a bit of a disadvantage, yes.

Inferring from that they are never able to work as hard as men is disingenuous or incredibly daft.

You hear more and more examples of how women are much better workers than men, least of all because they have to prove themselves more*. Now these are anecdotal so I will not make a general statement (although I bet if I googled enough I would find studies on this already and I am sure there are more to come), but I will say that that is my opinion and that if I were making hiring decisions, I would hire many women.

*if you think about schoolwork and how girls tend to study more and boys tend to be more lazy, that is actually quite plausible.
Original post by Airmed
If only they worked :moon:

Yes. :frown:

Original post by yudothis
Having severe pains for a day or two every single month is a bit of a disadvantage, yes.

Inferring from that they are never able to work as hard as men is disingenuous or incredibly daft.

by "work as hard", if we're talking about results, then how is that a daft thing to conclude when it's literally true? why else would women need such assistance? like I told the other user, this law would literally treat women like a handicapped/disabled gender. that's why it's so hilariously patronising. the fact that it's also legally discriminatory against men is just a coincidence. if you treat women better than men for an unjust cause, then that's against equality. EVERY individual in life is different, sure, but if you literally mandate that one demographic MUST be treated better for an arbitrary reason, then that is legal segregation and legal privilege. I mean, I don't know what universe this kind of law even sounds remotely justified in. it's a period. it's not a broken leg. if women don't even ask for this, probably because they know it would sound ****ing ridiculous, then obviously it's not necessary. it would also reduce them to the status of a disabled gender, like I said, and that would lower their social respect.

You hear more and more examples of how women are much better workers than men, least of all because they have to prove themselves more*. Now these are anecdotal so I will not make a general statement (although I bet if I googled enough I would find studies on this already and I am sure there are more to come), but I will say that that is my opinion and that if I were making hiring decisions, I would hire many women.

umm...riiight...I don't know why you bothered saying that - you've merely said "so there are studies that I don't know about which I could tell you about but I won't" - it just sounds like "I could prove you wrong here but I can't, or won't". also, why are you reducing this logic only to women? what about short men? what about fat women? what about ugly people? hell: what about people with LOWER QUALIFICATIONS?

*if you think about schoolwork and how girls tend to study more and boys tend to be more lazy, that is actually quite plausible.

...so...why would women need a law when even school girls don't?
by "work as hard", if we're talking about results, then how is that a daft thing to conclude when it's literally true? why else would women need such assistance? like I told the other user, this law would literally treat women like a handicapped/disabled gender. that's why it's so hilariously patronising. the fact that it's also legally discriminatory against men is just a coincidence. if you treat women better than men for an unjust cause, then that's against equality. EVERY individual in life is different, sure, but if you literally mandate that one demographic MUST be treated better for an arbitrary reason, then that is legal segregation and legal privilege. I mean, I don't know what universe this kind of law even sounds remotely justified in. it's a period. it's not a broken leg. if women don't even ask for this, probably because they know it would sound ****ing ridiculous, then obviously it's not necessary. it would also reduce them to the status of a disabled gender, like I said, and that would lower their social respect.

umm...riiight...I don't know why you bothered saying that - you've merely said "so there are studies that I don't know about which I could tell you about but I won't" - it just sounds like "I could prove you wrong here but I can't, or won't". also, why are you reducing this logic only to women? what about short men? what about fat women? what about ugly people? hell: what about people with LOWER QUALIFICATIONS?

...so...why would women need a law when even school girls don't?

I won't reply to the the first two paragraphs because I have said all that needs saying. If you don't want to get it, that is your thing.

With regards to the last one - did you not bother reading the thread? Plenty of women have said they regularly took a day or two off when a given period was particularly painful.

You are so full of bias and hate, and all you are is a scared little boy, scared that his privilege is being eroded.
I won't reply to the the first two paragraphs because I have said all that needs saying. If you don't want to get it, that is your thing.

don't "get" what? falsehoods? oh I "get" what you're saying, I don't don't buy it, because it's degrading to women.

With regards to the last one - did you not bother reading the thread? Plenty of women have said they regularly took a day or two off when a given period was particularly painful.

I don't care - that's not an employers issue. an employer doesn't deserve to necessarily lose money just because some women aren't "man" enough to deal with it. most women are "man" enough to get to work even if their period is bad. I worked in the summer (and last summer) and *never* took one day off in a situation where I was working 6 days a week, even when I was ill, as I get migraines almost every single month. why can't women do it too? why can't they perform even in conditions of difficulty like basically everybody else? why women and not men? as if men don't also have their own difficulties? just because it's less likely doesn't make it less valid

You are so full of bias and hate, and all you are is a scared little boy, scared that his privilege is being eroded.

literally: you are telling me that I am "privileged" because I am better able to work...wow.
scared "little" boy? ...are you body shaming me? wow, so you're trying to be an SJW by using the word privilege yet you're ****ing body shaming me? :lol: jesus christ, you aren't sjw'ing correctly. you're contradicting the whole sjw mentality. this is just like fat shaming, misogyny, racism etc - shaming people on the basis of (what you're alleging is, in my case) their bodies.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Waiser
Sure, there is a wage gap. Its just not an "unfair" wage gap. Its not to do with sexism either. I am not a feminist, because todays feminist have broken the definition and the meaning of the words. egalitarianism is the more correct word.

Wage gap is a difficult thing, many twist it when in reality its due to things like less women in workplaces in certain roles, old bosses as they have been there decades being male.

It always annoys me when I see far more women in lower paid jobs than men but no one cares about that.
I don't care

First you say oh well look at how they can do it at school. Pointed out to that at school it's very common for girls to take days off due to period (again showing your complete lack of understanding of women's issues) you suddenly don't care anymore.

One day stupidity is going to erase the human race from the face of the Earth.

ps lol i did read your last paragraph while skimming the page, loooool you make the assumption little has something to do with body shaming rather than age? you are like a little boy throwing a tantrum because the cookie you wanted was taken by the evil girl. But if you want, I shall call you big boy instead, or are you going to take that as an offence, too? Maybe immature, because that at least is an accurate description of your mental development. And well, maybe you finally realized that I am not actually a "SJW"...took your time lol.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 150
Well usually I'd say its not a good idea. I don't want special treatment for being a girl and that they can call in sick instead.

However being on the first period day today and starting working in 10 minutes, I can say YES I want this too. I just want to go to bed watch Netflix have a hot chocolate and feel sorry for myself right now lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Craghyrax
Yes it should, but only for women with doctor's letters confirming that they experience severe pain on periods. I know people who have very mild periods. Others, like me, ended up literally screaming in agony while horizontal with contractions :pinch: In my case I think it's wrong to have to have days like that come out of my holiday and paycheck when I can't help my gender.
The same applies for people with disabilities and chronic illnesses. We can do more to make provisions for them.

Couldn't agree more. There are so many females (myself included) who would abuse this in the name of #equality™. I'm one of the lucky ones who hasn't experienced cramps or pain on my period.
First you say oh well look at how they can do it at school. Pointed out to that at school it's very common for girls to take days off due to period (again showing your complete lack of understanding of women's issues) you suddenly don't care anymore.

except it's not common, nor should it be common - if you make a law like this, it will be encouraged.

One day stupidity is going to erase the human race from the face of the Earth.

yeah and you're a great demonstration of that, aren't you
I'm making a priori analytical conclusions based on what fact necessarily suceeds another when talking about disdvantage and disability, yet you're just resisting it based on semantics
you think I'm lacking intelligence because I don't emotivise a fact? wow. I don't think you know what intelligence is

ps lol i did read your last paragraph while skimming the page, loooool you make the assumption little has something to do with body shaming rather than age? you are like a little boy throwing a tantrum because the cookie you wanted was taken by the evil girl. But if you want, I shall call you big boy instead, or are you going to take that as an offence, too? Maybe immature, because that at least is an accurate description of your mental development. And well, maybe you finally realized that I am not actually a "SJW"...took your time lol.

jesus, stop being so ageist, **** lawd
if I want to be little (or big) I can
you're oppressing me and denying my age identity and my age existence
you clearly have hatred against me and my people
if I want to be little or big then you should acknowledge that and to recognise me as an equal regardless of age
just like you're acknowledging women and their periods
you're so age privileged with your age normativity
(see, this is how it sounds from the other end - it's really boring)
(edited 7 years ago)
except it's not common, nor should it be common - if you make a law like this, it will be encouraged.

yeah and you're a great demonstration of that, aren't you
I'm making a priori analytical conclusions based on what fact necessarily suceeds another when talking about disdvantage and disability, yet you're just resisting it based on semantics
you think I'm lacking intelligence because I don't emotivise a fact? wow. I don't think you know what intelligence is

jesus, stop being so ageist, **** lawd
if I want to be little (or big) I can
you're oppressing me and denying my age identity
if I want to be little or big then you should acknowledge that
just like you're acknowledging women and their periods
you're so age privileged with your age normativity
(see, this is how it sounds from the other end - it's really boring)

Just because you think it's boring, doesn't mean it does not exist...

No, I think you lack intelligence because your arguments are horrendous, and you lack reasoning and logic. It's as simple as that. The fact that you think you are making "I'm making a priori analytical conclusions based on what fact necessarily suceeds another" means you are being smart (re-read what you actually wrote, I think you can see it's nonsense) just proves it.
Just because you think it's boring, doesn't mean it does not exist...

true, but it's *not* true. it's boring *and* false. that's the issue. we've heard it all before and telling a lie enough times doesn't make it true. for example: "white privilege". is a homeless white man "privileged"? for either his gender or race? so how is he homeless? if women can be wealthy (like countless female celebrities) like black people can be, how are they oppressed? how could that happen? but this is a whole different point and I'd rather you didn't detract from this one which you yourself talked about:

No, I think you lack intelligence because your arguments are horrendous, and you lack reasoning and logic. It's as simple as that. The fact that you think you are making "I'm making a priori analytical conclusions based on what fact necessarily suceeds another" means you are being smart (re-read what you actually wrote, I think you can see it's nonsense) just proves it.

if my points weren't logical then why can't you at least prove that? just stating that they're illogical isn't the evidence of that. if I'm saying things like "if women are getting assistance, this implies that they are less capable than men", how is that not logically necessarily as a deduction? if they are worse than men, they require assistance, and if they require assistance, they are worse. you don't give somebody assistance unless they need it to remedy a defect. you don't just do it to be lovely. you do it because there's meant to be some kind of disability involved (although don't construe that as in being in a wheelchair or being retarded - that's taking things to stereotypical proportions). so my point is that you cannot say that men and women are equal in their status if one of them is logically less good in this context. that's just unavoidable. it's like if somebody needed training wheels on their bicycle and tried arguing that they were just as good as bike rider and somebody without training wheels...
so explain clearly how I'm arguing logically with reference to my points.

I worked in the summer (and last summer) and *never* took one day off in a situation where I was working 6 days a week, even when I was ill, as I get migraines almost every single month. why can't women do it too? why can't they perform even in conditions of difficulty like basically everybody else? why women and not men? as if men don't also have their own difficulties? just because it's less likely doesn't make it less valid

Migraines with auras?
Original post by Waiser
Well, it can be done. But expect even lower pay rates. Women already have wage gap due to obvious reasons such as pregnancies which causes a little less experience in the industry therefor lower pay and a few others. But i would say no.

Never mind pay rates, employers would not be wanting to hire women then if they are going to have to pay them when they are not there half the time.

Just deal with it! Honestly...
Migraines with auras?

Yaaas look who it is hahaha.

I remember I was talking to you about some guy calling you a Sheffield mess ahahahahahahahahha.

You never told me the name of the girl on your profile pic?????? I NEED TO KNOW :colone:
Original post by NotANerd!
Yaaas look who it is hahaha.

I remember I was talking to you about some guy calling you a Sheffield mess ahahahahahahahahha.

You never told me the name of the girl on your profile pic?????? I NEED TO KNOW :colone:

Chanel from Scream Queens. :wink:
Chanel from Scream Queens. :wink:

Ahhh thanks so much.

I needed to know. She's like an 11/10 if you get me :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending