The Student Room Group

Should women get a day off work for their period?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
Migraines with auras?

yup - the kind of situation whereby you know in advance that a killer, agonising, days-long headache is coming up because your vision starts to go weird
oooh do trans people get it too? postmenopausal?
Original post by NotANerd!
Ahhh thanks so much.

I needed to know. She's like an 11/10 if you get me :biggrin:

Well I speak English and I can count. :wink:
Original post by sleepysnooze
yup - the kind of situation whereby you know in advance that a killer, agonising, days-long headache is coming up because your vision starts to go weird

Those are awful.

I once had a week where I had one everyday. :s-smilie:
Well I speak English and I can count. :wink:

ooooohhhhhh, you're a cheeky one? Fiesty! ahahahaha

Still dying over the Sheffield mess ahahahaha
Original post by Tiger Rag
I've had kidney pain, I've had ones where I can't walk and I've had others which give me migraine.

It's clear in this thread that men don't understand. Some periods are horrendous.

OOOh, i get regular kidney pain and migraines, how many extra days off should i get?
An unpaid, no questions asked sick-day might be better. A little more awareness that this can be a legit reason to take a sick day. But paid leave for an issue that only applies to one gender is asking for controversy. There's already an unbalanced maternity leave allowance between genders, which arguably disadvantages both genders for different reasons.
Original post by NotANerd!
ooooohhhhhh, you're a cheeky one? Fiesty! ahahahaha

Still dying over the Sheffield mess ahahahaha

Haha :smile:

Yep, I don't really get why he's trying to insult with with that. :lol:
Those are awful.

I once had a week where I had one everyday. :s-smilie:

sounds devilish - when I have the visual cues I literally have to bed myself then and there and reload on paracetamols and sleeping tablets - and even then, when waking up (if I'm even able to sleep) it will feel like my skull's been smashed with a hammer because the headache is so intense. so I know exactly what it feels like to suffer from semi-regular migraines
true, but it's *not* true. it's boring *and* false. that's the issue. we've heard it all before and telling a lie enough times doesn't make it true. for example: "white privilege". is a homeless white man "privileged"? for either his gender or race? so how is he homeless? if women can be wealthy (like countless female celebrities) like black people can be, how are they oppressed? how could that happen? but this is a whole different point and I'd rather you didn't detract from this one which you yourself talked about:

if my points weren't logical then why can't you at least prove that? just stating that they're illogical isn't the evidence of that. if I'm saying things like "if women are getting assistance, this implies that they are less capable than men", how is that not logically necessarily as a deduction? if they are worse than men, they require assistance, and if they require assistance, they are worse. you don't give somebody assistance unless they need it to remedy a defect. you don't just do it to be lovely. you do it because there's meant to be some kind of disability involved (although don't construe that as in being in a wheelchair or being retarded - that's taking things to stereotypical proportions). so my point is that you cannot say that men and women are equal in their status if one of them is logically less good in this context. that's just unavoidable. it's like if somebody needed training wheels on their bicycle and tried arguing that they were just as good as bike rider and somebody without training wheels...
so explain clearly how I'm arguing logically with reference to my points.

**** man. You want to be taken seriously but think homeless white men are proof white privilege does not exist.
Original post by liberty cap
OOOh, i get regular kidney pain and migraines, how many extra days off should i get?

If you get regular kidney pain, you should really see a doctor.
Original post by cherryred90s
If you get regular kidney pain, you should really see a doctor.

Oh i have thanks, it's kidney stones, some people just get them all the time apparently.
sounds devilish - when I have the visual cues I literally have to bed myself then and there and reload on paracetamols and sleeping tablets - and even then, when waking up (if I'm even able to sleep) it will feel like my skull's been smashed with a hammer because the headache is so intense. so I know exactly what it feels like to suffer from semi-regular migraines

That sounds terrible. :frown:
Have you tried ibuprofen?

I see what you mean with the skull thing, and it annoys when people think it's the same as a headache. It's 100x worse. :s-smilie:
Original post by TaintedLight
You should appreciate such a system, if implemented, will be abused by every women who has a doctor for a best friend.

I don't really count it as 'abuse' for a person to make use of an advantage they are legally entitled to.
As to faking period pain, or lying to a doctor, I'm sure that could happen, but that is a much smaller problem than the suffering that many women have to deal with throughout their lives. If one kid in the class is behaving badly, you don't punish the whole class. There's a lot of research that demonstrates that fraud of this kind is very low. Most humans prefer not to lose progress in the workplace, and fall behind on their responsibilities. And most people prefer to stand on their own two feet and look after themselves than to accept the stigma and visibility that often comes with receiving help. Trust me, if there was anything I could do... in terms of healthy living, sleeping better, treatment, drugs etc to solve the kind of excruciating pain I get from menstruation... I would do it. The only thing that has kept it at bay has been a form of contraception that has a lot of other bad side effects.

I also see a lot of childishness in these threads. People are so selfish and willing to freak out at an 'unfair' advantage, but they won't take two seconds to pause and think about all the unfair advantages that they have in life. It also takes a particular kind of unkindness for people to consider somebody "lucky" because they "get to have the day off". Do these guys think I enjoy being bedridden and hit by insane pain for several hours? Do they think that is more fun than going to work? :eyeball: If anybody thinks that, they have no idea how extreme period pain can actually be.

It makes me sad that many younger users on TSR have bought the media ideology, hook, line and sinker, that there's 'not enough money' to go around. There is way more than enough for everyone, and states can do a great many things that they currently choose not to do in order to afford the cost of things like benefit fraud in order to introduce measures that make up for unusual degrees of misfortune or suffering.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by yudothis
**** man. You want to be taken seriously but think homeless white men are proof white privilege does not exist.

HAH. I knew you'd do this.
avoid my very direct question because you can't ****ing answer it
so you've fallen straight into my trap you daft mong
I have given you a comprehensively logical account of the stupidity of this policy and you cannot refute it. why even bother replying if you're just going to end up embarrassing yourself like this?

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Craghyrax
Do these guys think I enjoy being bedridden and hit by insane pain for several hours? Do they think that is more fun than going to work? :eyeball: If anybody thinks that, they have no idea how extreme period pain can actually be.

So guys can never be bedridden and hit by insane pain for several hours?
That sounds terrible. :frown:
Have you tried ibuprofen?

I see what you mean with the skull thing, and it annoys when people think it's the same as a headache. It's 100x worse. :s-smilie:

yeahh, but medicines never tend to do much for my migraines - all I can really do is sleep it off
and yeah, a headache is like a little sense of discomfort in your head while a migraine is like an earthquake - it can really be that different to some people
Original post by liberty cap
So guys can never be bedridden and hit by insane pain for several hours?
:lol: Can you read?

Of course they can. Which is why my first post clearly stated that amendments like this should be in place for any human that is affected by a chronic health problem that can't be cured or improved by lifestyle changes.

#1 reason I barely ever waste my time "debating" on TSR is because (a) nobody reads what other people say, or try to understand what they mean (b) people walk around with really extreme simplistic boxes in their head and go around trying to put other posters into those boxes rather than trying to actually have an open discussion :sigh:

Adios.
unless they had like doctor's permission for medical reasons then no. If that was a law it would be abused SO much, and many people leaving work for the day (even if it wasnt abused) isn't exactly good cause some jobs suffer more from shortages of employees than others
yeahh, but medicines never tend to do much for my migraines - all I can really do is sleep it off
and yeah, a headache is like a little sense of discomfort in your head while a migraine is like an earthquake - it can really be that different to some people

I'm sorry. :hugs:
I once had this medicine to prevent them, but it didn't work tbh. Now I take the progesterone pill, and they seemed to have disappeared.

True. It's literal hell. :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending