The Student Room Group

How to stop stressing?

So basically I'm really stressed. Really stressed. I've slept badly this week because of my mind being too alert and thinking about what I've got to do. I've got a big mock on Monday afternoon (and I can never sleep on sunday nights, I'm worried I won't be okay with no sleep). I've got a mock on Wednesday and a controlled assessment for languages on Thursday which counts towards my grade. I can't memorise everything as the subjects are Science, Law and German in that order and there's so many formulae and cases, rules and paragraphs to memorise. I can't do it all and it's all feeling like a bit much. One of my teachers has advised me to break it into small chunks and only think about each exam the night before it happens, because she thinks I've done enough note taking and nothing more will be effective. I'm in top sets for pretty much all of them and I love my teachers, I don't want to be moved to a lower group and the pressure's really on in general. Anyone any advice?
Original post by ethistu7
So basically I'm really stressed. Really stressed. I've slept badly this week because of my mind being too alert and thinking about what I've got to do. I've got a big mock on Monday afternoon (and I can never sleep on sunday nights, I'm worried I won't be okay with no sleep). I've got a mock on Wednesday and a controlled assessment for languages on Thursday which counts towards my grade. I can't memorise everything as the subjects are Science, Law and German in that order and there's so many formulae and cases, rules and paragraphs to memorise. I can't do it all and it's all feeling like a bit much. One of my teachers has advised me to break it into small chunks and only think about each exam the night before it happens, because she thinks I've done enough note taking and nothing more will be effective. I'm in top sets for pretty much all of them and I love my teachers, I don't want to be moved to a lower group and the pressure's really on in general. Anyone any advice?

Look, its not easy. You have to understand that the mock tests coming up should really ONLY be used to understand where you need to improve. The reality is you probably had <1 month to revise for these. For the real exams, you have much longer. So its completely understandable to not know all the content for the mock tests coming up. Just learn from your mistakes and don't think it's the "be all and end all". Last of all, take it easy- they are only mocks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ethistu7

Hey bud,

I think there's a couple of ways we can look at this. Firstly, look up and learn the concept of emotional detachment. Look at your problem objectively and then debate and dispute it. Do certain subjects actually contribute to the bigger picture (What it is you want to do), because if not then there's no point on piling on the pressure to do amazingly well in German if you have no intention of using that for the future for example. Another key component is that if you are feeling stressed with all those subjects, let your teachers know about it. Let them know that you feel snowed under and that your grades will go down as a result, maybe they can provide resources to help. Finally, look at how you mindset is before you sleep, use meditation or mental techniques to relax and defuse the stress. Look into this stuff too. I'm not trying to dump more work on you but if you make a small sacrifice and look these things up and experiment to see which works for you then it may make a huge difference to you in the long term. Review how you use your time and reallocate in order to get done what you need to do. I wish you the best of luck, let me know if there's anything i can help with!

Quick Reply

Latest