The Student Room Group

EDT Headstart 2017 personal statement

Hi,

The final date to apply for the Headstart summer courses is the 31st of this months and everything is ready, except my personal statement.

The online application form states that you should write a 200 words max. personal statement about youself. Obviously 200 words isn't a lot, so after making a several drafts I thought I had nailed it. When I was ready to uplode it I came across an instruction that made me think twice.

In the text box where I had to copy and paste my personal statement it read: " Include any Clubs, Groups or Awards".

The only club I belong to is my rugby club and the only awards I have recieved are for rugby. Should I include this in my personal statement?

Thanks
Isaac
That doesn't mean that that's all they're looking for. Do you know what they're looking for? Tailor what you've written including about rugby to that and you'll be fine.
Original post by alleycat393
That doesn't mean that that's all they're looking for. Do you know what they're looking for? Tailor what you've written including about rugby to that and you'll be fine.

Thanks a lot for your quick reply.

They just ask to "tell us about yourself and why you are interested in taking part". What do you mean by "tailoring what I've written about rugby?"
How does playing rugby and winning whatever awards you have from rugby help with your application. Are there specific skills they're looking for or does it make you a better candidate in any way?
Yeah, I talked about hockey and DofE for mine and said like they make me a more versatile student and show I commit to things and enjoy working/ playing sport with other people in a team...
Original post by alleycat393
How does playing rugby and winning whatever awards you have from rugby help with your application. Are there specific skills they're looking for or does it make you a better candidate in any way?

Ok, got it, thanks a lot for your help.

Original post by Xpeplinski
Yeah, I talked about hockey and DofE for mine and said like they make me a more versatile student and show I commit to things and enjoy working/ playing sport with other people in a team...

Great, thanks.
Original post by Isaac Caletrio
Hi,

The final date to apply for the Headstart summer courses is the 31st of this months and everything is ready, except my personal statement.

The online application form states that you should write a 200 words max. personal statement about youself. Obviously 200 words isn't a lot, so after making a several drafts I thought I had nailed it. When I was ready to uplode it I came across an instruction that made me think twice.

In the text box where I had to copy and paste my personal statement it read: " Include any Clubs, Groups or Awards".

The only club I belong to is my rugby club and the only awards I have recieved are for rugby. Should I include this in my personal statement?

Thanks
Isaac

If the word limit is 200, I definitely would not talk at length about your participation in the Rugby Club (and really, I probably wouldn't even mention it at all). It has nothing to do with Engineering so I really doubt that they'd be particularly interested. If you want to include it then just mention it, please do not waste words trying to come up with obscure connections between Rugby and Headstart.

Quick Reply

Latest