The Student Room Group

Zoes GCSE maths help

Doing the new spec :smile:

I cant seem to figure out how i got question b wrong...
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1483723186.053806.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

There are three scenarios where you lose at least once.

win-lose, lose-win, lose-lose

You have only calculated the probability of win-lose.
For b), you have to consider every possible case where she loses a match, since she loses at least one.

This means that the possibilities you have to consider are, if you say that if she wins, the event is W, and if she loses, the event is L...

W L
L W
and L L,

where W has a probability of 0.7 and L has a probability of 0.3.

Since all of these outcomes are separate, you have to add their probabilities together.

The associated probabilities are (0.7 x 0.3) (WL), (0.3 x 0.7) (LW) and (0.3 x 0.3) (LL.)

You can confirm you have the right answer because in this case there are only four probabilities. If you take your answer away from 1, you should get your answer to a) since you have removed three probabilities by doing so. (Also, you could have answered this by doing 1 - answer from a) at the start, but that won't be so helpful in any case where there are more than two outcomes of an event or in more difficult case.)

Hope this helps, and feel free to ask if you need any clarification.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Astro_Joe
For b), you have to consider every possible case where she loses a match, since she loses at least one.

This means that the possibilities you have to consider are, if you say that if she wins, the event is W, and if she loses, the event is L...

W L
L W
and L L,

where W has a probability of 0.7 and L has a probability of 0.3.

Since all of these outcomes are separate, you have to add their probabilities together.

The associated probabilities are (0.7 x 0.3) (WL), (0.3 x 0.7) (LW) and (0.3 x 0.3) (LL.)

You can confirm you have the right answer because in this case there are only four probabilities. If you take your answer away from 1, you should get your answer to a) since you have removed three probabilities by doing so. (Also, you could have answered this by doing 1 - answer from a) at the start, but that won't be so helpful in any case where there are more than two outcomes of an event or in more difficult case.)

Hope this helps, and feel free to ask if you need any clarification.

Thank you so much :smile:
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1483723957.910343.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
How do i solve CB?
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1483724338.709114.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e

Hi Zoe. Could you remember to rotate your photos before attaching them please?
Original post by z_o_e
How do i solve CB?
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1483724338.709114.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could use trigonometry to find angle B and then use it again to find the length required.
Reply 7
Original post by Mr M
You could use trigonometry to find angle B and then use it again to find the length required.

I don't understand i need to find CB :/
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1483727040.073618.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e

If you had the angle at B, can you see how you would calculate length CB using this angle and the given lengths (in particular, the length AB)?
Reply 9
Original post by SherlockHolmes
If you had the angle at B, can you see how you would calculate length CB using this angle and the given lengths (in particular, the length AB)?

Yus I solved it by trigonometry and got 67 degrees.
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1483728481.561870.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e

Good. You can now calculate the length CB using trigonometry for the triangle ABC. Also, leave your angle as 67.38... rather than rounding.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by SherlockHolmes
Good. You can now calculate the length CB using trigonometry for the triangle ABC. Also, leave your angle as 67.38... rather than rounding.

I got abit stuck but i tried ImageUploadedByStudent Room1483729723.452835.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Once you've got that angle look at the big triangle and I believe from your diagram its a right angled triangle? So use trig again to find the hypotenuse. You have an angle and the adjacent length and you want to find the hypotenuse. What do you do next?
Reply 13
Original post by lordyP
Once you've got that angle look at the big triangle and I believe from your diagram its a right angled triangle? So use trig again to find the hypotenuse. You have an angle and the adjacent length and you want to find the hypotenuse. What do you do next?

I legit give up.

I cant find the hypotenuse://

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by lordyP

To find the other triangle i have the length ImageUploadedByStudent Room1483730995.882958.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
So Cos(x) = adj/hyp ( just sohcatoa )
Hyp = adj/cos(x) (rearrange)
hyp = 13/cos(67.38) (sub in values)
hyp = 33.8
Don't round off your vales too early in the calculations. Leave all values to at least 2dp until the very final answer and even then write it to 2+dp and then round it
Reply 18
Help on this please

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
Help on this please

Posted from TSR Mobile

Work out the area of the cross section first before multiplying it by 20 which is the depth of the prism.

Quick Reply

Latest