The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Marathi
Seconded. Never had to supply any qualifications to get my HCA job. Just some ward volunteering experience.

Great, thank you!
Original post by 24242424
In terms of working as an HCA, I've found a lot of hospitals ask for applicants to have an NVQ in health and social care, something I don't have - an ideas what I can do about this?

I found this too so I applied for an HCA role in mental health and that is what I'm working as currently
I m in my first year of biomed in cardiff university, when can i apply dor medicine. I want to medicine as i m not interested in reserach and lab work, i need guidance please
Original post by Muazzama6
I m in my first year of biomed in cardiff university, when can i apply dor medicine. I want to medicine as i m not interested in reserach and lab work, i need guidance please

You'll want to sit your entrance exams in the summer of 2018 (your 2nd year at uni) with the aim to start in 2019, assuming you want to go straight into medicine from your current degree. The only thing you can do in the next year or so is start building some work experience for your application.

Get onto Google, search for graduate entry medicine and do some browsing for a good 60 minutes. It's all there in abundance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
People says graduate is very difficult, i really want to do it. Which test i have to do? GEMSAT

Posted from TSR Mobile
People says graduate is very difficult, i really want to do it. Which test i have to do? GEMSAT

Posted from TSR Mobile

GAMSAT, BMAT or UKCAT it´s really up to you.

Have a read through this guide and try and research different universities for a bit (Google is your friend :wink:)

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15889-graduate-entry-medicine-a-guide
Original post by mamly042
GAMSAT, BMAT or UKCAT it´s really up to you.

Have a read through this guide and try and research different universities for a bit (Google is your friend :wink:)

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15889-graduate-entry-medicine-a-guide

Thank u so very much, its very useful piece of information for me, thankx again
Original post by Mr Optimist
From what I have read, neither Plymouth or Exeter look only at the GAMSAT. They've stated they will look at GAMSAT alongside everything else on your UCAS application. I.e you will still need to satisfy their A-level and GCSE requirements.

As for the experience, I am aware of that. I was just asking the pharmacist members what other experience they have. Just for my own interest. Wondering why they were rejected.

What about yourself? Are you an GEM applicant?

I am a GEM applicant, and Exeter/Plymouth do only look at your GAMSAT results to decide whether to offer you an interview or not. I've spoken to the admission offices as well. This is a copy and paste from their FAQ (Exeter)

On the other hand, if you have completed a degree programme or it has been more than two years since you completed your full A levels, you will be considered as a non-direct school leaver. In this instance you will be required to take the Graduate Medical School Admissions Test (GAMSAT) in order to be considered. Your performance in GAMSAT will be the only necessary information on your application. Your performance in a prior degree or past secondary school will not be taken into consideration. Applicants who achieve less than 59 overall are unlikely to be invited to attend an interview. Threshold scores in each section will need to be met.
I did my initial education from pakistan, its not Alevel but i got admission in biomed on these qualifications. But some one told me that i have to do Alevel in uk as well bcuz medical school needs Alevel. I m kind of confuse what to do. I am really stressed out these days bcuz of this
I did my initial education from pakistan, its not Alevel but i got admission in biomed on these qualifications. But some one told me that i have to do Alevel in uk as well bcuz medical school needs Alevel. I m kind of confuse what to do. I am really stressed out these days bcuz of this

Not all medical schools require a levels if you have a degree under your belt.
The usual English and Math at GCSE level is required

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chez231
Not all medical schools require a levels if you have a degree under your belt.
The usual English and Math at GCSE level is required

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actully i already have a 4 years degree in Clinical psychology, now i m doing undergraduate degree in biomedical. Because i didnt know that i can apply to medical schools with my degree in clinical psychology. Now i cant do anything because i have to complete my degree in biomed as i spoke to cardiff uni they said u have to complete ur degree before going anyway else. Ya i studies english and maths in my school days.
Actully i already have a 4 years degree in Clinical psychology, now i m doing undergraduate degree in biomedical. Because i didnt know that i can apply to medical schools with my degree in clinical psychology. Now i cant do anything because i have to complete my degree in biomed as i spoke to cardiff uni they said u have to complete ur degree before going anyway else. Ya i studies english and maths in my school days.

Blimey , can you not leave after this year ?
And then apply

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chez231
Blimey , can you not leave after this year ?
And then apply

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats what i thought, but i spoke to cardiff university school of medicine, they said that they dont accept transfer, complete ur degree first, u cant apply to medicine in cardiff university until u complete ur current course in biomedicall sciences.I hope its all the case with all the other medical school, but i dont know yet, if u know anything plz do let me know, thankx
Thats what i thought, but i spoke to cardiff university school of medicine, they said that they dont accept transfer, complete ur degree first, u cant apply to medicine in cardiff university until u complete ur current course in biomedicall sciences.I hope its all the case with all the other medical school, but i dont know yet, if u know anything plz do let me know, thankx

I mean you already have an eligible degree under your belt, what if you quit biomed after this year and apply ?
Then again having two degrees and a strong UKCAT/BMAT would benefit

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chez231
I mean you already have an eligible degree under your belt, what if you quit biomed after this year and apply ?
Then again having two degrees and a strong UKCAT/BMAT would benefit

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank u very much, i am thinking the same. How should i prepare for UKCAT/BMAT? Whts the most effective way of prep
Would anyone recommend going on an interview prep course?
I don't know whether to go on one or not...not sure if it'll be worth it really.
If anyone has been on one could you let us know your experience and whether you'd recommend it or not.
Thanks!
Original post by Katray
I don't know whether to go on one or not...not sure if it'll be worth it really.
If anyone has been on one could you let us know your experience and whether you'd recommend it or not.
Thanks!

DITTO, I'd like to know too please.
I highly recommend Medic Portal. Either the group session where you get a mock as well, or the 1 on 1 interview tutoring. They have pretty decent insight into all of the med school selection processes including grad entry. It can't replace your own study and prep but it gives you confidence and a chance to practice answering questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Katray
Thanks!

Don't bother spending the money... You get as good a practice just finding a willing friend to practice with or just ask someone if you can just talk through your answers for the standard questions you think might come up.
I actually found a friend through this forum and we would Skype and talk through everything we could think of. Then on the day it was really natural and not rehearsed/sounded like everyone else's answers.
As long as you can talk to another human being well you'll be fine :smile:
Reply 2779
Original post by lcsurfer
Don't bother spending the money... You get as good a practice just finding a willing friend to practice with or just ask someone if you can just talk through your answers for the standard questions you think might come up.
I actually found a friend through this forum and we would Skype and talk through everything we could think of. Then on the day it was really natural and not rehearsed/sounded like everyone else's answers.
As long as you can talk to another human being well you'll be fine :smile:

Great advice! Is there a place you can recommend to get med interview questions?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending