The Student Room Group

Can someone help my A-Level confusion?

Hey,

I'm looking to take A-Level Mathematics but I'm wondering how many units there are to do for a full A-Level? I'm doing my exam with Edexcel. Quite confusing.

Thanks in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

What do you mean '

Original post by augustvv
but I'm wondering how many units there are to do for a full A-Level?
For edexcel you take:
Core 1, Core 2 and and applied module (1st year)
then
Core 3, Core 4, and an applied module (2nd year)
and that gets you an full a level
Hey,

I'm looking to take A-Level Mathematics but I'm wondering how many units there are to do for a full A-Level? I'm doing my exam with Edexcel. Quite confusing.

Thanks in advance :smile:

For the AS you need C1, C2 and an applied module (eg. S1, M1, D1) and for the full A Level, you'd need to also do C3, C4 and another applied module.
So that's 6 modules altogether :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by returnmigrant
What do you mean '

Nvm. I think it's six units I'll have to take to complete a whole A-level. Yay for paying £600 for one A-level (private candidate) :angry:.
It depends if you are starting a level maths September 2017...
If you start this September, it will be a new syllabus.
Reply 6
Original post by MajorFader
It depends if you are starting a level maths September 2017...
If you start this September, it will be a new syllabus.

I will be yeah. Syllabus isn't a problem, just the amount of units. I don't think they'll be changing unfortunately for my wallet haha.
Nvm. I think it's six units I'll have to take to complete a whole A-level. Yay for paying £600 for one A-level (private candidate) :angry:.

I'm sure you could find an external exam centre that would let you sit them for cheaper than that. The one nearest me would be under a third of that amount, if I recall.

That is assuming you don't need tuition anyway.
I will be yeah. Syllabus isn't a problem, just the amount of units. I don't think they'll be changing unfortunately for my wallet haha.

Oh actually new spec will be different as all the exams are taken at the end of the 2 years and there's no way that they'll make you sit 6 exams in one go
Reply 9
Original post by ByronicHero
I'm sure you could find an external exam centre that would let you sit them for cheaper than that. The one nearest me would be under a third of that amount, if I recall.

That is assuming you don't need tuition anyway.

Gives me hope! What's that centre called if you don't mind me asking? Macclesfield does seem to be quite expensive, maybe I should travel further to do my exam.
Gives me hope! What's that centre called if you don't mind me asking? Macclesfield does seem to be quite expensive, maybe I should travel further to do my exam.

I'm many hundreds of miles away from you, I'm afraid. It is a local school; these usually have the most reasonable rates as they charge you only for the entry cost and nominal costs to cover invigilation. You can find a list of such places on the exam board websites usually, so I would recommend having a look and making calls tomorrow because many will have entry deadlines approaching for external candidates.

Best of luck.

Just looked at the provisional spec and it looks like there's now 3 papers.
2 pure maths
1 statistics and mechanics
All calculator papers

EDIT: You cannot take these exams until 2018 though (I think)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by lordyP
Oh actually new spec will be different as all the exams are taken at the end of the 2 years and there's no way that they'll make you sit 6 exams in one go

I'm sure there's not 6 exams?? Haha. Btw thanks v much everyone :smile:

I did 6 exams
Reply 14
Original post by ByronicHero
I'm many hundreds of miles away from you, I'm afraid. It is a local school; these usually have the most reasonable rates as they charge you only for the entry cost and nominal costs to cover invigilation. You can find a list of such places on the exam board websites usually, so I would recommend having a look and making calls tomorrow because many will have entry deadlines approaching for external candidates.

Best of luck.

Ah, I have to sit my exams in November so schools aren't an option. I'm doing an Open Uni degree this year aswell so studying that and doing an A-lvl in less than six months ain't a good idea haha. Oh well, bye bye money :L
Reply 15
Ah, I have to sit my exams in November so schools aren't an option. I'm doing an Open Uni degree this year aswell so studying that and doing an A-lvl in less than six months ain't a good idea haha. Oh well, bye bye money :L

Ask your old school? (Assuming you haven't moved far away....)

Yes there are.

There are 6 exams if you are using the old specification (you could still sit these in the coming exam period). I believe there will be three if you use the new specification, covering roughly the same amount of information. I have seen exam centres charge twice as much for new modules as they do for old though, so monetarily it may make no difference.

I didn't realise you could sit A level exams in Nov. Admittedly I am old and do not pay much attention these days though.

It is worth noting that the OU will publish your exam dates very far in advance (they may have already done so) so you will be able to see if there are any clashes and plan accordingly. A degree and an A level is a perfectly reasonable amount of work, assuming either aptitude or effort. Ideally both.

You can't sit Edexcel A levels in November in the uk. You could sit CIE international A levels if you find somewhere offering it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by gdunne42
You can't sit Edexcel A levels in November in the uk. You could sit CIE international A levels if you find somewhere offering it.

If you are an doing an international Edexcel A level it would be 4 exams but they didn't offer all the required units during November 2016 and I don't know their plans for 2017.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can if you're a private candidate.

Quick Reply

Latest