The Student Room Group

What is the WJEC Exam board LIKE?

As the title says, I want to know what the WJEC is like, in terms of difficulty. I am unfamiliar with this board but will be doing this next year for my A-Level Chemistry. Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Well I'm still at GCSE, so I can't tell you exactly how difficult the A-Level course is, but I know people who do it thoroughly enjoy the course (I plan on taking it next year as well). I do think the WJEC can sometimes be quite particular about answers, which can be frustrating, however their grade boundaries aren't too bad due to this and (at least for GCSE) you can often predict what to expect from your exam based on difficulty and topic of previous papers. I think they're a good exam board though, my main complaint is their fussiness and lack of resources, but they seem to bringing out a lot for their new specs and Chemistry is reformed now, so all is good!
Reply 2
Original post by Tombre
Well I'm still at GCSE, so I can't tell you exactly how difficult the A-Level course is, but I know people who do it thoroughly enjoy the course (I plan on taking it next year as well). I do think the WJEC can sometimes be quite particular about answers, which can be frustrating, however their grade boundaries aren't too bad due to this and (at least for GCSE) you can often predict what to expect from your exam based on difficulty and topic of previous papers. I think they're a good exam board though, my main complaint is their fussiness and lack of resources, but they seem to bringing out a lot for their new specs and Chemistry is reformed now, so all is good!

What do you mean by "reformed"? What changes have been made?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Moltenmo
What do you mean by "reformed"? What changes have been made?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's the spec that started in 2015, I'm not sure what is different, but I believe many A Levels (Sciences, English Lit, Lang etc) started new specs with all exam boards in 2015. Other subjects started this school year and Maths is starting 2017.
Reply 4
Original post by Tombre
It's the spec that started in 2015, I'm not sure what is different, but I believe many A Levels (Sciences, English Lit, Lang etc) started new specs with all exam boards in 2015. Other subjects started this school year and Maths is starting 2017.

Ahh, interesting. Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did WJEC for GCSE English Language and Literature respectively. I now do it for A level English Literature. I like the exam board personally, but I have no experience with sciences. I think their a levels are now linear though.
Reply 6
Original post by rosie.mn
I did WJEC for GCSE English Language and Literature respectively. I now do it for A level English Literature. I like the exam board personally, but I have no experience with sciences. I think their a levels are now linear though.

Yeah I believe so. Damn, that's no good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I believe so. Damn, that's no good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How come?
Reply 8
How come?

Having to remember content from 2 years seems tough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Having to remember content from 2 years seems tough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unfortunately there aren't many subjects that are still modular. You have all summer to revise which is a bonus!
Reply 10
Are you in Wales or England? If you're in Wales all of the A Levels will be modular, if you're in England, most will be linear.
Reply 11
Unfortunately there aren't many subjects that are still modular. You have all summer to revise which is a bonus!

Even still haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Tombre
Are you in Wales or England? If you're in Wales all of the A Levels will be modular, if you're in England, most will be linear.

England

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest