The Student Room Group

whats harder a level maths or physics?

if people could give their opinions it would be a big help
Reply 1
I do both. Definitely Physics is harder. If you have between the two maths is the way to go - not only because its easier - but also physics is pretty difficult if you don't do maths
Reply 2
Original post by Suprite
I do both. Definitely Physics is harder. If you have between the two maths is the way to go - not only because its easier - but also physics is pretty difficult if you don't do maths

thanks, i don't know if i will find maths boring though, is there really a lot of maths in chemistry?
Reply 3
Original post by hcbjcdmk
thanks, i don't know if i will find maths boring though, is there really a lot of maths in chemistry?

I did Chemistry at AS and there was a bit but the maths was pretty basic. The new A levels are trying to make the science courses slightly more maths intensive but in all honesty you can easily do chemistry without doing maths. My sister was awful at maths and got an A in it.
Reply 4
Original post by Suprite
I did Chemistry at AS and there was a bit but the maths was pretty basic. The new A levels are trying to make the science courses slightly more maths intensive but in all honesty you can easily do chemistry without doing maths. My sister was awful at maths and got an A in it.

thanks again, are the sciences particularly big steps up from gcse to a level
Reply 5
Yeah, they are but you'll get used to it. In my first chemistry/ physics exams I was getting B's and C's but with hard work and plenty of practice it'll be fine.
Reply 6
Original post by Suprite
Yeah, they are but you'll get used to it. In my first chemistry/ physics exams I was getting B's and C's but with hard work and plenty of practice it'll be fine.

i am looking to practice medicine at maybe Edinburgh and I know that you have to take 3 science subjects including maths, I am going to take biology, chemistry and history but I am struggling between the choices of maths and physics
Reply 7
i am looking to practice medicine at maybe Edinburgh and I know that you have to take 3 science subjects including maths, I am going to take biology, chemistry and history but I am struggling between the choices of maths and physics

Not sure about that. To study medicine the only requirements are chemistry + another science.

My sister does medicine and did Biology, Chemistry, English Literature and Psychology.
Reply 8
Original post by Suprite
Not sure about that. To study medicine the only requirements are chemistry + another science.

My sister does medicine and did Biology, Chemistry, English Literature and Psychology.

thanks again you've been a really big help
Reply 9
thanks again you've been a really big help

no problem
physics by a loooooong margin.

it's harder than further maths let alone maths.
Original post by Suprite

What did you get for gcse maths and AS maths? What are you predicted for A2?

There is only one med school that asks for 3 sciences, and that is Cambridge.

Taking 3 sciences may help with BMAT score but evidence is limited (and Edinburgh doesn't ask for that anyway).
Original post by MajorFader
What did you get for gcse maths and AS maths? What are you predicted for A2?

GCSE: 5A*s 5As 1B ( didn't really care about grades at this point0
AS : Maths A
A2 predicted: A*AA ( Maths, physics and economics)
Original post by Suprite
GCSE: 5A*s 5As 1B ( didn't really care about grades at this point0
AS : Maths A
A2 predicted: A*AA ( Maths, physics and economics)

Good grades
Was maths one of your A*s at gcse ?
Reply 15
In my opinion, if you have excellent teachers in both subjects, physics is easier. The questions are much more basic and as long as you understand it you won't have a hard time.

However, from experience, there are much more excellent maths teachers than physics. If you end up with a not so good physics teacher, you'll find it extremely difficult and will be spending a lot of time reading your textbook just to catch up on your useless lessons.

I'm kind of trying to say the physics content is easier to teach yourself than the maths content. But with maths you generally won't have to resort to that.

This is just my opinion, I don't know if other students have had similar experiences to me and can't say that you will too.
Original post by MajorFader
Good grades
Was maths one of your A*s at gcse ?

yeah
Physics. I did both for AS. I got an A in Maths and a U in Physics.

Quick Reply

Latest