The Student Room Group

Can you apply for graduate jobs before you have your final results/have graduated?

Hello,

Just to clarify, I'm not asking about graduate schemes as those are designed to start the summer after your degree and you're supposed to apply whilst you're still in uni anyway, but I'm asking only about graduate jobs.

I finish my exams in May and am going to start applying for graduate jobs after then, but I don't think I'll get my results until July.

I've looked at ads for graduate jobs out of curiosity, and they say they want people 'with degrees' (obviously some of them clarify the grade and discipline too). If I don't technically have a degree yet or even know what my grade is, can I still apply?

Thanks.
Original post by chilliflakes
Hello,

Just to clarify, I'm not asking about graduate schemes as those are designed to start the summer after your degree and you're supposed to apply whilst you're still in uni anyway, but I'm asking only about graduate jobs.

I finish my exams in May and am going to start applying for graduate jobs after then, but I don't think I'll get my results until July.

I've looked at ads for graduate jobs out of curiosity, and they say they want people 'with degrees' (obviously some of them clarify the grade and discipline too). If I don't technically have a degree yet or even know what my grade is, can I still apply?

Thanks.

Yes, you can apply on the reasonable presumption you will get your degree, exactly the same as a grad scheme.

You should start applying as soon as you see the jobs, which is now (or earlier!). Don't wait until May - many employers, even if not running grad schemes, still want to get their grad recruitment for the autumn settled asap
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
Yes, you can apply on the reasonable presumption you will get your degree, exactly the same as a grad scheme.

You should start applying as soon as you see the jobs, which is now (or earlier!). Don't wait until May - many employers, even if not running grad schemes, still want to get their grad recruitment for the autumn settled asap

Thanks for your response. I assumed job ads are posted as and when they're needed and it's just schemes that post as early? How would I know that a grad job is for an autumn start? None of the ads I've seen, as far as I can remember, have said that.
Thanks for your response. I assumed job ads are posted as and when they're needed and it's just schemes that post as early? How would I know that a grad job is for an autumn start? None of the ads I've seen, as far as I can remember, have said that.

The only people you advertise 'graduate jobs' to are new graduates - everyone who's got their first job, after that just applies to a job. 'Graduate job' implicitly means the first job you take after graduating university, so moving on from that, employers know that they won't be able to get hold of a recruit to start a graduate job until the summer.

Job adverts are posted when they are needed (taking into account notice periods, which can be up to 6 months), but 'graduate job' adverts are aimed at graduating students and will almost always have start dates between Jun and October.
Reply 4
The only people you advertise 'graduate jobs' to are new graduates - everyone who's got their first job, after that just applies to a job. 'Graduate job' implicitly means the first job you take after graduating university, so moving on from that, employers know that they won't be able to get hold of a recruit to start a graduate job until the summer.

Job adverts are posted when they are needed (taking into account notice periods, which can be up to 6 months), but 'graduate job' adverts are aimed at graduating students and will almost always have start dates between Jun and October.

Oh I see, thanks. I'm looking for jobs in London and can't afford to travel to potential interviews from where I am which is my reason for wanting to apply later, but this was still good to know.
Reply 5

Sorry, I have another question! Do you know if interviews for grad jobs are done on weekends/during holidays in order to accommodate students so they don't have to take time off of classes? Or they can be at any time?
Sorry, I have another question! Do you know if interviews for grad jobs are done on weekends/during holidays in order to accommodate students so they don't have to take time off of classes? Or they can be at any time?

No, they will be in standard office hours, 9-5, Monday to Friday. Staff salaries are more important than student schedules!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending