The Student Room Group

GCSE Spansh

Any tips on revising for spanish listening and reading to get an A*.
thanks in advance x
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lithium007
thanks in advance x

Make sure you know your vocab really well and you should be able to understand fine for listening and reading.

Use flashcards or something to learn vocab, not sure if your school gives you vocab sheets but they'd be useful.

Sometimes the spec from the exam board has a list of key vocab so make sure you know all that.
use memrise.com

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Naomeyz_01
use memrise.com

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, what grade did you get?
Listen to Spanish songs, use lyricstraining.com, watch Spanish films with subtitles, and do past papers for Listening.

For reading, just try and absorb as much Spanish as possible. Use muyinteresante.es and read articles, and translate them as much as you can. As long as you get the gist, you'll get the marks in tests usually. Also do as many past papers as possible, and mark them using the mark scheme - these train you to understand what type of info the markers want from your answers. :smile:

I got an A* at iGCSE and am doing A Level Spanish now :smile:
Oh yeah, use memrise as well. It's fantastic, I haven't stopped using it since last January when I got it :tongue:
Memrise, Bitesize, Past papers and ask your teachers - they know what is best for your so they'd be happy to help hopefully :smile:
Reply 7
What I did (and still do in A2) is integrate spanish into everything I do. For instance I would change the language settings of my phone, pc etc to spanish as you're exposed to all this new vocab. After a week or so I would change the language back to english and repeat the process, eventually familiarise myself with the new vocab.

I would also use quizlet and memrise, search up DELE A2 vocab as that's a qualification from the spanish goverment that equates to GCSE level.

For listening i would listen /watch adverts for instance search up 'Apple Spain' on youtube you'll find full (spanish) subtitled/dubbed adverts of the English counterparts.

For reading you could try reading BBC mundo but that's quite advanced for GCSE but give it a shot though loads of expressions and vocab. You should also be familiar with 'irregulars' and false friends that they use in the listening and reading for example when it comes to countries they always will say 'Alemania' as its not similar to english.

another great website is http://www.ver-taal.com/

hope this helps,

sorry if its a bit much XD
Reply 8
Original post by george_c00per
Listen to Spanish songs, use lyricstraining.com, watch Spanish films with subtitles, and do past papers for Listening.

For reading, just try and absorb as much Spanish as possible. Use muyinteresante.es and read articles, and translate them as much as you can. As long as you get the gist, you'll get the marks in tests usually. Also do as many past papers as possible, and mark them using the mark scheme - these train you to understand what type of info the markers want from your answers. :smile:

I got an A* at iGCSE and am doing A Level Spanish now :smile:

Thank you so much ! that was so helpful 😃 and well done on the A* ! Do you like doing Spanish at A-level?? do you find it hard?
Reply 9
Original post by anivia
What I did (and still do in A2) is integrate spanish into everything I do. For instance I would change the language settings of my phone, pc etc to spanish as you're exposed to all this new vocab. After a week or so I would change the language back to english and repeat the process, eventually familiarise myself with the new vocab.

I would also use quizlet and memrise, search up DELE A2 vocab as that's a qualification from the spanish goverment that equates to GCSE level.

For listening i would listen /watch adverts for instance search up 'Apple Spain' on youtube you'll find full (spanish) subtitled/dubbed adverts of the English counterparts.

For reading you could try reading BBC mundo but that's quite advanced for GCSE but give it a shot though loads of expressions and vocab. You should also be familiar with 'irregulars' and false friends that they use in the listening and reading for example when it comes to countries they always will say 'Alemania' as its not similar to english.

hope this helps,

Thank you so much! I'm definitely going to check out those websites because I really want to get an A*! I'm actually so grateful!
Original post by Lhoque
Memrise, Bitesize, Past papers and ask your teachers - they know what is best for your so they'd be happy to help hopefully :smile:

Thank you so much !😊
Thank you so much ! that was so helpful 😃 and well done on the A* ! Do you like doing Spanish at A-level?? do you find it hard?

I love A Level Spanish - Spanish culture is way more involved into the spec, as the topics surround current events in the Hispanic world and you also study a book and a film (for AQA anyway). It's a step up from GCSE but it's quite manageable in my eyes. :smile:
Thank you so much !😊

You're welcome :smile: feel free to ask anything else
Original post by anivia

hope this helps,

That first tip is genius! I may adapt it someday :smile:
Use memrise.com
It's amazing!

I got an A in Spanish after being predicted a D :rofl:

i'm so relieved so finish that bs subject.

get all A's and A*'s in your coursework and your sorted.
Original post by Federerr
Use memrise.com
It's amazing!

I got an A in Spanish after being predicted a D :rofl:

i'm so relieved so finish that bs subject.

get all A's and A*'s in your coursework and your sorted.

Thank you so much! Everyone is swearing by memrise.com and just see what you were predicted and what you got in the end just forced me to make an account and get started on it haha very big well done on your progress!
Reply 16
thanks in advance x

Definitely get Memrise! Wouldn't have passed Spanish or French without it :smile:

You could either use the website's own Spanish course or you can search for your exam board and everything in the spec (vocab wise) will be there.

Good luck!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest