The Student Room Group

What do I do if I WANT to study abroad?

I'm thinking of going abroad to study when I'm older to somewhere else in England (like Manchester), the US, Japan or stay in London or move back to Scotland.

What are the pros and cons of each place, its notable universities and the atmosphere in general? Would I need to do something like the SAT or the JLPT and where can I find the resources to do so? Or should I go on a student exchange thingy to see for myself?

I need all the wisdom I can get, if you wouldn't mind :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Lhoque
I'm thinking of going abroad to study when I'm older to somewhere else in England (like Manchester), the US, Japan or stay in London or move back to Scotland.

What are the pros and cons of each place, its notable universities and the atmosphere in general? Would I need to do something like the SAT or the JLPT and where can I find the resources to do so? Or should I go on a student exchange thingy to see for myself?

I need all the wisdom I can get, if you wouldn't mind :smile:

That depends entirely on the university you're attending. No you won't need any other qualification, the only ones you'll need at most uni is just a certain percentage of your grades from first year (at my uni you need at least 60% for my course).

I'd recommend contacting the unis you're interested in, and they'll provide a pdf booklet (or just an email) explaining it to you.
Research the Sutton Trust US Programme. It's highly competitive but will help you if you want to study in the US
I live just outside Manchester. Really lovely place with so much to do. Student friendly and the northern quarter has loads of indie stuff like vintage clothing shops and cheap cool resturaunts. I'm sure studying there would be really nice. It's cheaper to live in Manchester too.
Scotland I would say would be alright if you went somewhere good like St Andrews or Edinburgh. Wouldn't say there's a tonne of stuff to do coming from someone who knows a few young people who live there.
Studying the US would be great. I guess, but you'd have to be super committed. Perhaps look into summer school placements over there, I think the Sutton Trust does one. The problem with US universities is that they're so expensive, and you don't major till your last year. UK degrees are more suited to people who are more focused on a specific career/academic path. It's also very expensive, but if you're wealthy or can get a decent scholarship it's something to look into. Bear in mind they value lots of extra curriculars so do some of those!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
I just don't know the best place to go if I want to go into CGI and animation (game design is also an interest) - even though everything you have said so far is really helpful. The Uni match thing this site has shows courses that are not that high ranking, and the best one is in Dundee, I'm just wondering if other countries do it better...
Original post by Lhoque
I just don't know the best place to go if I want to go into CGI and animation (game design is also an interest) - even though everything you have said so far is really helpful. The Uni match thing this site has shows courses that are not that high ranking, and the best one is in Dundee, I'm just wondering if other countries do it better...

California institute of the arts seems to be a place that animators and creators alike are attending as far as abroad is concerned.
This website may help locally https://www.whatuni.com/degree-courses/search?subject=computer-animation
Reply 6
Original post by rosie.mn
California institute of the arts seems to be a place that animators and creators alike are attending as far as abroad is concerned.
This website may help locally https://www.whatuni.com/degree-courses/search?subject=computer-animation

niiice (y) may be willing to check it out :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest